HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:10 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Roger

I zoomed in on the pilot's face. Man he has a big grin there! Glad to see "Bad News" has survived the initial flights to sort out the new power plant. When I bring mine out to the field, folks come over and say "That's a Formosa??!" The combination makes for a fast, nimble plane that really slows well. No bad habits.

Regarding the multi-blade props, I agree, they look cool, but just don't get the job done. I tried a new 9050x3 on my GWS 190 with the 3008 motor and went back to the two blade prop. I have an Art-Tech P-51 with a beautiful four blade prop. It looks stunning on the ground and on the ramp spinning up but is the slowest Mustang in the air. There have been lots of threads and discussion on the merits of multi blade props from folks who are far more experience than I. For me, unless the aesthetics dictate a multi-blade prop, I'm going to stick with a two blade.

When is "Bad News" going back up?

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Been up today Jim. Although my holiday field is safe and only sees a few people walking round the boundary and I'm heavily insured I'm always somewhat nervous knowing that the neighbours are all strangers in the event of something going pear-shaped. Back home the farmer's cut and baled his hay so for the time being I'm back with "my" field.

I noticed today that even with the HD prop I'm getting flutter/howl in a dive like I used to get on my first, stock, Formosa in a power dive with a 9070 SF prop. I may have to try an APC 9075 which is certainly stiffer. Also, although it flies very fast at 50% WOT I was using full throttle more today and the 20C 1000 battery, which isn't ventilated, was definitely warm when I took it out. Not hot, but well warm.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Roger, I fly my Formosa with an APC 8x4 and 15c 1500mAh battery. I had a data logger in it back when I was settling in on a system and was drawing 200 watts - I'll bet your 9075 is going to pull more. The wind is howling today so the opportunity for flying is not good but I want to try an 8x6 to see if the additional pitch is worth the extra draw on the system.

I had a GWS 9070 on my GWS190 and it used to howl like a banshee in a dive. I had to change it out because folks thought I was abusing my planes.

Jim
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:53 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
I can certainly try an APC 8060 - come to that I've got an 8080 APC - some pitch speed there.

Saw a great T shirt logo today "Keep on flying till the last bit stops moving" - could adopt that as my motto!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 04:45 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Roger

Next step it to shoehorn (and I really mean shoehorn) the 2409-12 into a GWS Spitfire. It will pull away from the other warbirds of similar size like they are tied to tree stumps. I flew the heck out of mine until the 8x4 folding prop had a catastrophic failure and destroyed the cowl, motor mount and took a chunk out of the wing. I repaired her but she wasn't ever "right" again and finally spun out of the sky on a low pass. But when she was new, she ruled!

Jim
Old Jun 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
Roger

Next step it to shoehorn (and I really mean shoehorn) the 2409-12 into a GWS Spitfire.
How did that work out for you? I had that motor in the spitfire, but yanked it out due to the battery size needed to feed that motor. What battery are you flying it with?
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old Jun 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
I was using a CommonSense 1250 3s 10c. Judicious use of the throttle kept it from puffing. I could crack it WOT for some short and intense speed bursts but most flying was at 2/3 to 3/4 and it was still plenty fast. As I recall, I had to do some carving out of the battery box but had no other problems. In retrospect, a 15c would bave been a better match. I'll do that for the Corsair build.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:30 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
My Spitfire carries a 1200 3S 20C anyway and I think I've had a BP motor in a Spit in the past so that wouldn't be a problem. Will you just stop doing this to me Jim??

You don't happen to wear a fancy red suit and hood with a pair of horns just above the ears the ears do you?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:00 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Just whispering into your ear, maybe a nudge or two.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2007, 02:43 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
jamesdr & Roger

I assume it was the left ear .

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jun 17, 2007, 05:16 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Been sloping today with the 190 and fortunately ace photographer Steve Bentley was there with his long lens to capture some shots for me. Actually they're too good really - I can see I need to touch up the paint a bit and also the ballast velcro'd to her belly is showing up - I really need to do something cleverer than that.

Don't be misled by the foreshortening effect of that 400mm lens - some of these look as though they were flying past Steve's nose but they're mostly actually up to 200 or more yards out
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,168 Posts
Hello,

Heres my FW190
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:01 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Look nice - ParkZone is going to start wondering why they are having a run on FW190 spinners.

Jim
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,168 Posts
Quote:
ParkZone is going to start wondering why they are having a run on FW190 spinners
He He, get them while you can.
ipjodan is offline Find More Posts by ipjodan
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:20 PM
aka : SteveBB..
South Yorkshire,England
Joined May 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Been sloping today with the 190 and fortunately ace photographer Steve Bentley was there with his long lens to capture some shots for me. Actually they're too good really - I can see I need to touch up the paint a bit and also the ballast velcro'd to her belly is showing up - I really need to do something cleverer than that.

Don't be misled by the foreshortening effect of that 400mm lens - some of these look as though they were flying past Steve's nose but they're mostly actually up to 200 or more yards out

No pictures, no pictures!! Glad you like em mate.
Stevepilot is offline Find More Posts by Stevepilot