HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 14, 2007, 11:04 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. No video yet, but maybe later. I am still getting used to the plane, but has some good flying characteristics.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
After the recent specially commissioned project to investigate the effects of rapid deceleration in vertical flight brought about by the intervention of planet earth the scruffiest T-6 in the world, looking somewhat scruffier still, has returned to flying duties. In common with others I can confirm that the glide path needs to be initiated while the aircraft is still three fields away and not more than 9" above the ground (OK I exaggerate a little). On the other hand it makes for real "greaser" landings - they may just not be quite where you expected. Now flying with a 1047 slowfly prop with the 2215 and a 3 cell. I'd have to describe her flight behaviour as "stately". Flies beautifully but certainly not, at least with this combination, a "tear-up-the-sky-unlimited-vertical" performer.

A rare picture of himself with Zero, T-6 and DR-1 accompanied by fellow club member at the club flying field (hence headgear )
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; May 15, 2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old May 15, 2007, 03:13 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
That T-6 looks dead on like the ones I have seen in Reno. Great paint job
Old May 15, 2007, 03:27 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Jake, I take that as high praise coming from someone who did that stunning Macchi job - did you airbrush the camo free-hand or use a stencil? I've always fancied doing a plane like that or in zebra/tiger stripes.
Old May 15, 2007, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
E-Starter on floats
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old May 17, 2007, 11:28 PM
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Jake, I take that as high praise coming from someone who did that stunning Macchi job - did you airbrush the camo free-hand or use a stencil? I've always fancied doing a plane like that or in zebra/tiger stripes.
Thanks for the compliments! The base color is called Afrika Mustard and Testors makes it in a small spray can so I did not even have to pull out the airbrush for that color. The top is a Testors dark green and I did it with a 20 dollar airbrush. It was just a freehand job where I just made it up as I went. This kind of painjob is one of my favorites to do.
Old May 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Here are two photos of my 3 1/2 year old Me 109 undergoing comoflage efectiveness tests. It failed these test as it could be easily seen in the tree.

I called on my son in law and he came with a ladder and climbed the tree for me. The Me 109 was recovered with only a damaged motor mount.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old May 18, 2007, 08:46 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
After the recent specially commissioned project to investigate the effects of rapid deceleration in vertical flight brought about by the intervention of planet earth the scruffiest T-6 in the world, looking somewhat scruffier still, has returned to flying duties. In common with others I can confirm that the glide path needs to be initiated while the aircraft is still three fields away and not more than 9" above the ground (OK I exaggerate a little). On the other hand it makes for real "greaser" landings - they may just not be quite where you expected. Now flying with a 1047 slowfly prop with the 2215 and a 3 cell. I'd have to describe her flight behaviour as "stately". Flies beautifully but certainly not, at least with this combination, a "tear-up-the-sky-unlimited-vertical" performer.

A rare picture of himself with Zero, T-6 and DR-1 accompanied by fellow club member at the club flying field (hence headgear )
Roger she is a real looker great job again!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old May 22, 2007, 08:57 PM
Biloxi Ms.
Joined Jan 2006
136 Posts
Here are a few of my GWS combat birds. Our club flies smallscale combat and its a blast.
schweig1959 is offline Find More Posts by schweig1959
Old May 22, 2007, 11:44 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
It was sunny today so it makes for better pictures. The hand carved pilot can't be seen because the plastic canopy went from a cold garage to the warm sun and temporarly fogged it.

As you will see there is more than meets the eye in its construction. The plane is a GWS foamy kit. This took one month to build doing a few hours here and there per day. The pilot is shaped free hand from a piece of foam and spackle. There is 4 carbon arrow shafts in the plane. 2 in the wing and 1 each boom full lenghth.

The nose and the 2 engine cowls are molded with carbon fiber and glass from a copy of the original plastic ones. The propeller spinners are made with a vacu-form rig I built and used in my wife's oven. The decals are created with my printer on plastic film then water proofed and transfered to the plane with a little help of 3M -77 contact spray. The decal is a picture of a P-38 found on the web with that fancy artwork. The devil translation for the German language say the Twin Forked Tail Devil as was called by the recipients of the bombs and firepower in its day. The markings do not follow any particular plane or squardron.

The paint is all air brushed on with Wally World paint. The motors are Dualsky XM300A Brushless Outrunners. The plane should have 3 blade props to look correct. I use GWS DD 9X5 2 blades because it lands without landing gear in the fields. So less damaging.

**Neons** Bob
Absolutely beautiful Bob... I envy your 38, airbrush, homemade vacuum former, and wife's oven.

I'm still waiting for someone to slap on some vario-props to compliment the stunning airframe.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old May 23, 2007, 12:06 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,681 Posts
Chris, thank you for your nice comments. The plane came out pretty nice and quite strong. The little extras I put in were not necessary but I like to do the extra work just to keep busy and to add a personal touch. Silver over white foam is hard to paint and shows everything too. The plane is pretty and I was satisfied. It was a fun build.
Happy Flying.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old May 24, 2007, 10:20 PM
slippy slimey
oklahoma
Joined Nov 2004
1,769 Posts
GWS p-51

My latest build
covered in yellow econokote
no gear (belly lander)
ultrafly c/13/33 motor
cobri box geared 3.3 to 1
apc 9x6 prop
jeti spin 22 esc
electron 6 receiver
2 3110 for elevator and rudder
hitec hs 65 on ailerons
auw with tp 2100
20.1 oz's
maiden this weekend
booger is offline Find More Posts by booger
Old May 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
the kgb flies again!
Somerset West, South Africa
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
GWS38 on 2205 brushless motors

I maidened her this morning in perfect conditions and had 3 excellent flights. I bought the NPS kit and added all GWS components:

2 x 2205 GWS outrunners
2 x EP8040 GWS props
2 x 15AMP GWS BEC's
4 x PICO BB GWS servos
1 x 6 Ch GWS receiver
1 x 2200 Mah GWS 2 cell Lipo battery

It fllies pretty scale with this configuration, I was impressed at how well flaperons worked. I was expecting some wild stall behaviour, but it seems that the motors on the wings calm this behaviour.

All flights were done off a smooth concrete runway and straight and level flight only required a few clicks of trim. I got 3 x 15 minute flights per charge on the battery at a fraction over half throttle.

All in all, one of the nicest planes from GWS I have built and flown!
kgbester is offline Find More Posts by kgbester
Old May 28, 2007, 04:26 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Hereís my GWS Cargotrans Quad. Completely stock setup, including stock mounting of the motors (attached to the nacelles). The only mod is a cargo hatch, operated by a separate servo controlled by a slider switch on the radio.

It had its maiden yesterday. Beautiful flier, with a borderline thrust weight ratio Ė you need to coax every ounce of thrust, lift and power during flight. It wonít do anything other than circuits, but then thatís the whole idea with a Herc Ė errr Ė Cargotrans . And it has a most commanding presence in the air. Very responsive at recommended throws, and loves to turn with the rudder.

Hereís the video (rt.click - save as). Iíve slowed down the part where I open the hatch and spread confetti all over my cousinís beautifully tended resort gardens. My cameraman was more eager to follow the plane than the confetti .

Great plane, GWS.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old May 28, 2007, 05:18 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
And nice bit of flying, Doc. And was that a Peacock calling in the background? Believe it or not I can hear a Peacock in the background where I'm flying too!