HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
they are awesome Roger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the thing i love is that i can see a very happy pilot under that canopy...now wheres that Hurrican chasing it?
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:26 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,812 Posts
Wow, this guy needs to be given a job. Maybe you should capture him and feed him planes. That is some nice shot.
**Neons**Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Apr 10, 2007, 01:06 PM
Registered APE
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Dec 2006
217 Posts
Roger,

Beautiful picture Cool you found the right thermic conditions, how long can actually stay into air without engine?
I also like the paintsceme, yellow and grey are one of my favourites.

Patrick
Patbull is offline Find More Posts by Patbull
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:09 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
Roger, that is one of the BEST photographs I've seen of an R/C aircraft in flight. How about some details? Camera? Photographer? Time of capture? Motor drive shoot or not?

Simply beautiful!!!! Thanks.

Doc
The info you requested:

Canon EOS D60, the ISO was 800. shutter about 1/1500 sec,F11, centre weighted metering, manual focus,auto white balance,lens is a Canon 100-400mm,L,USM,with image stabiliser. The powerwind was at 3.5 fps.

I know he'd been up the previous day and taken another member's Shooting Star - nicer weather but still not bad either eh!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:14 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patbull
Roger,

Beautiful picture Cool you found the right thermic conditions, how long can actually stay into air without engine?
I also like the paintsceme, yellow and grey are one of my favourites.

Patrick
If the wind stays right (it wasn't thermals keeping me up yesterday, just slope lift) I can stay up until a) I get bored/tired/terrified or b) the battery goes flat. Since that would take somewhere between 6 and 12 hours (it's a 2200 mAh NimH but its only driving the Rx and servos) I think we can assume that a) would apply.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
It's also a lesson in the perils of flying a grey camo scheme against a stormy sky!
Roger,

Nice looking sloper you got there, and some darned good pics from your new "friend".

I know what you mean about the perils of camoflage. Here in Arizona we almost always have clear blue skies. My GWS Corsair often tends to "blend" into the sky. I wonder why that is?

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:25 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
It's a lovely warm spring day here in the UK, next to no wind and I'm lucky enough to be able to dodge between the flying field at the back of the house and the television in the house to keep an eye on the Bahrein Grand Prix.

Raked a few out including one or two I haven't flown for a while...............
the little EPP micro-racer is a load of laughs - goes like on a 20g outrunner and a little 3 cell. Now there's an idea for you Mr Lin. Personally I'd much sooner something like these than 3D "flatties" http://www.freeair.cz/ENGLISH/micro%...20Fury-AJ.html and you could do one of these as well - note they use a GWS EDF - http://www.freeair.cz/ENGLISH/He%20162-AJ.html
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:32 AM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
GWS Beavers

I love 'em. They're simple to build, simple to fix, and you don't have that white knuckle syndrome. In stock form, it's motor is faster than its wing, but if you fly it scale-like, this is not a problem. I fly on with removable wheels, as my closest flying site doesn't have a good hard landing site. I also have one on floats, and this one features flaps and lights. Floats can take off from snow, ice, and short grass. Use Pam food spray on your floats if you take off from grass. You can go as wild as you like with these, but keeping it simple keeps stress to a minimum.
I congratulate GWS for coming out with an affordable airplane that's easy to fly and inspire awe in observers. A tip of the Derf Derby to GWS for this
Compaints? Well, I've only got two left to build in my shop. I guess I don't have anything to gripe about. It took me a plane to figure out the GWS glue, but now that I know how it works, I don't have to buy glue anymore.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:38 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Roger
I like the little HE-162 and have a EDF 40 with Feigao 25 turn that would be wild or easy. What do you think it would cost th ship to the US ?

Ken In the rain
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:01 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Roger
I like the little HE-162 and have a EDF 40 with Feigao 25 turn that would be wild or easy. What do you think it would cost th ship to the US ?

Ken In the rain

This is the US importer although the 162 seems to be the only one he's not holding!! http://nesail.com/categories.php?sub...20a974e1abe12e
They're pricy but probably still cheaper than buying in the UK and shipping over (the Horten would cost about $80 in the UK, the 162 about $70). All the more reason for GWS to get on the trail!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,812 Posts
GWS P-38 Lightning

It was sunny today so it makes for better pictures. The hand carved pilot can't be seen because the plastic canopy went from a cold garage to the warm sun and temporarly fogged it.

As you will see there is more than meets the eye in its construction. The plane is a GWS foamy kit. This took one month to build doing a few hours here and there per day. The pilot is shaped free hand from a piece of foam and spackle. There is 4 carbon arrow shafts in the plane. 2 in the wing and 1 each boom full lenghth.

The nose and the 2 engine cowls are molded with carbon fiber and glass from a copy of the original plastic ones. The propeller spinners are made with a vacu-form rig I built and used in my wife's oven. The decals are created with my printer on plastic film then water proofed and transfered to the plane with a little help of 3M -77 contact spray. The decal is a picture of a P-38 found on the web with that fancy artwork. The devil translation for the German language say the Twin Forked Tail Devil as was called by the recipients of the bombs and firepower in its day. The markings do not follow any particular plane or squardron.

The paint is all air brushed on with Wally World paint. The motors are Dualsky XM300A Brushless Outrunners. The plane should have 3 blade props to look correct. I use GWS DD 9X5 2 blades because it lands without landing gear in the fields. So less damaging.

**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 20, 2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
East Yorkshire UK
Joined Dec 2005
303 Posts
Does fortune favour the brave??

Well! I am neither fortunate nor brave but at least I have [almost] finished my 262 Mk.1 Mk.2 is on the production line. I have related the problems I had on the 262 thread so I will confine myself to posting the 3 pix I took this p.m. One can't really see the pilot but he is rather UNDERscale and comes courtesy of Airfix from a 1/24 scale Fw. 190. My 262 Mk.2 has a larger and much hacked about figure.

Cheers

Ian
molders is offline Find More Posts by molders
Old May 01, 2007, 06:09 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
what should i get guys,my mom is going to buy me a GWS plane but i don't know what to choose. Out of all the GWS planes wich one do you think handles alot of wind nicely.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old May 01, 2007, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Depends on how much you have flown. What you can handle.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 01, 2007, 08:18 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
im done with trainers, i have plenty of building experience. im probaly a begginer- intermediate.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven