HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Robert,

It is said that there two groups of people who can make the Zero fly without modification (necessary because the wing incidence was set up for the much less powerful motor the Zero was launched with). The first group, they say, leave no shadows in the sunlight, they came from No-one Knows Where, they communicate with whales, they eat only on the 29th February and it is said they drink the blood of humming birds. The second group succeed because they built the damn thing so badly they cancelled out all the errors during the build. Since I know you to be an excellent builder I conclude you must belong to the first group

Lol! you're winding me up right? I don't think there's ever been a Zero thread which hasn't discussed the wing incidence

There are people who claim to make it fly without modification but, as I've already explained, its a superior race of beings with whom we mortals cannot compete.

I've always held you in the highest regard and now I salute you as a superior being (even if you are using a BP21!)
Roger You busted me.

I was tired and just rambling. what I started to say is that if you build one stock brushed motor version then the wing should be fine as per the mfr.

only make the mode if Brushless is added.

even if its only a bp21

Roger thanks for the master builder part, I'm sure I borrowed some of your tips along the way.

thanks buddy!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2007, 03:23 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2006
137 Posts
Got a new zero just built with 245 watts and no change to wing incidence but a slight change to the tail angle (Front up, rear down in the standard cavity) . Flys straight and true at all throttle setting. Guess I'm from another planet or just lucky
tmichel is offline Find More Posts by tmichel
Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:25 AM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
I dont use 3 cell packs just a 2 cell
I think this might have to do with you not having to make any mods. You're probably flying close to stock power levels.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:00 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmichel
Got a new zero just built with 245 watts and no change to wing incidence but a slight change to the tail angle (Front up, rear down in the standard cavity) . Flys straight and true at all throttle setting. Guess I'm from another planet or just lucky
Congrats! The zero was my 2nd plane and it bit me.. Didn't know about the wing stuff then and crashed its way to the trashcan (6 years ago now I think).
I'm about ready for another (hopefully supersized) that I'll make a Rufe out of.

Changing the horizontal stab incidence does basically the same as changing the wing incidence (if they are both close to desired values anyway).. Flying level, hands off elevator with no trim changes over the full envelope? I'd like to see that.. not sure its even possible.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Apr 08, 2007, 02:45 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnetti
Congrats! The zero was my 2nd plane and it bit me.. Didn't know about the wing stuff then and crashed its way to the trashcan (6 years ago now I think).
I'm about ready for another (hopefully supersized) that I'll make a Rufe out of.

Changing the horizontal stab incidence does basically the same as changing the wing incidence (if they are both close to desired values anyway).. Flying level, hands off elevator with no trim changes over the full envelope? I'd like to see that.. not sure its even possible.
I'm with you Spin Remember the $7.95 Sport Jet EDF that needed the same mod so it wouldn't climb under power.
And lots easier to do.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:21 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Picture of my Me 262 slope glider in action (no engines!) - for more info see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=30
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:58 AM
junior flyboy
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
59 Posts
That is a very nice picture!
62vette is offline Find More Posts by 62vette
Old Apr 09, 2007, 02:44 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Picture of my Me 262 slope glider in action (no engines!) - for more info see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=30
Okay -- I want to see video!

How do you get it back? Can you land it without walking a mile to retrieve it? (I'm being sarcastic, not because you are a bad pilot, or the build is bad -- but because I'm afraid I would have to walk a mile to retrieve it if I landed it!)

What does it weigh, all up?

Tell me more! It looks really cool!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 09, 2007, 03:01 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
I think I could fly a slope if it was in the dessert and I had my 4 Wheeler to retrieve it. Here in north eastern Tenn. theres trees waiting on you to mess up. Tall ones.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:07 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,813 Posts
That is a very good photo. I elect that you should keep that photographer. The plane looks very nice.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:23 AM
Grumman TBF Avenger
Joined Oct 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Spectacular photograph. Thanks for sharing !
SS
Super Sabre is offline Find More Posts by Super Sabre
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Roger, that is one of the BEST photographs I've seen of an R/C aircraft in flight. How about some details? Camera? Photographer? Time of capture? Motor drive shoot or not?

Simply beautiful!!!! Thanks.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:14 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Awesome... Looks almost like a FSK...
GWS keeps getting better....

I tried to run up my motors after finishing the install and they won't fire (worked fine before gluing it all in). I'm bummed
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:54 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob
Roger, that is one of the BEST photographs I've seen of an R/C aircraft in flight. How about some details? Camera? Photographer? Time of capture? Motor drive shoot or not?

Simply beautiful!!!! Thanks.

Doc
Hi Doc,

It was just a guy I've never met before. If you've looked at the other pics on the link in the post above you can see his camera on the ground at the side of me because at that point he was using mine. I think it was Canon, certainly digital and you probaby don't need me to tell you that a lens like that is going to cost serious poppadums! I've emailed him for some more details (and to see if he has any more pictures) . Here's one I haven't posted before and which I've blown up from a pic he e-mailed to me so we can assume it started out as pretty damn good focus and resolution! It's also a lesson in the perils of flying a grey camo scheme against a stormy sky!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Thanks, Roger. Just goes to show that us amateurs with our D-70s and D-1s can't hope to get the results that our more generous professional friends do. I have a buddy, a professional photographer, who is also an amateur flyer, who sometimes brings along his Canon with a 500/2.8 lens, and shoots some pictures on motor drive that make me DROOL!!! Of course, the lens weighs more than me and my planes (or should I say, my planes and I?),

Doc

PS: Love the poppadum reference too
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob