Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Red, I fly others as well - Fox, Weasel, Alula, Easyglider, etc and I have a 2m Schweitzer 1-26, a Tuff 2m U2 and a 2.6m Discus all to build but GWS don't make "real" gliders - if they did I'd buy them. The GWS are a bit of fun - really need to be EPP for the rough and tumble of sloping but hey - you can buy three GWS slopers for the price of one by anyone else!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:11 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Roger,

You have a great sloper squadron. How did FW190 fly on slope ?

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:33 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Still waiting for the wind to be right Chen
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
Registered APE
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Dec 2006
217 Posts
New Tigermoth

My 3th Tigermoth....GWS brushless setup, Protech steerable tailwheel.

Hope you guys like it
Patbull is offline Find More Posts by Patbull
Old Mar 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Here's my PT-17 "Betty Boop" on the runway (actually a very old railroad track now a footpath) after a sortie this afternoon - its not the length but the width that's the problem, you understand, particularly in a cross wind. Look guys I know it's more rewarding to fly in a public park surrounded by people, trees and mad dogs rather than out here in beautiful countryside on a beautiful warm spring afternoon with miles of space in every direction but, you know, someone has to do this.....

Also, sorry it's not GWS but just to remind Mr Lin that when he makes one then it will be, the ex-rcminiman scratchbuilt Lancaster Papa-Echo Mike, also just back safely from her first flight in my hands. Great bird Barry
Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:50 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
Roger:

Nice planes, but beautiful countryside. You sure live in a beautiful area.
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
Old Apr 07, 2007, 05:39 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
A "new" Zero has joined my existing one in the fleet. It may be hard to tell which is which but the all green one is "old faithful".

Latest one has rudder/aileron/ele and the same 2015 geared 4100kv inrunner as the old one although I may change that.

Building it straight after building two of the second generation models was a real reminder of the huge progress GWS have made since the Zero was launched - can someone tell me when that was - 2003? Earlier?

Took me about an hour of sanding to remove all the rosettes from the upper surfaces. The foam is much more prone to nicking.

I reset the wing incidence and the plane is balancing at 60 mm (which is mid range) with an 800 20C 3 cell but no ballast at all. Haven't checked the weight yet but probably about 400 gms.

It doesn't replicate any known Zero colour scheme. Can-sprayed RC styro light grey and Tamiya olive drab with the bare patches hand painted on using a coachlining brush and tamiya flat aluminium. Home made waterslide decals and the completed plane given a coat of Johnsons Klear.

Cowl is retained by rare earth magnets, canopy is velcro'd

Edit

I always take the pictures before the maiden and while I appreciate it's not nearly as important to you as it was to me perhaps you can share my relief when I report that after it's very uneventful maiden flight it still looks the same and it's still in the same number of pieces - 1.

With the CG at 60mm and no ballast it needed about three clicks of down, which is quite a bit less than "old faithful", and it was tracking straight.
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Apr 07, 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:24 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Hi Roger,
I like your planes and tecniques very much. Could you elaborate on how to correct the wing incidence so some of us here will know something about making this correction on the leading edge angle of attack? Can you tell me roughly how much measurement is needed to correct this inherent molding problem? I have 2 zeros without the correction and I use about 12 degrees down elevator to correct mine in flight for level flight. I have 2 friends that I warned about this and when they launched maiden flight with the elevator set neutral they were in for a surprise climbout.
Thanks
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:40 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
And how long has this plane been in production ?
And yes. Roger just what is required to make it rite ?

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:45 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Bob and Ken,

The leading edge needs setting down by around 3/16" in relation to the trailing edge. The way I achieve it is to set the wing mount in the body at or slightly below the bottom of its normal location slot. I set the mount on the wing as high as it will reasonably go and then I sand away the wing seat towards the trailing edge so the trailing edge sits high.

The first Zero I had, with the CG set correct but the wing incidence unchanged, would just go into a series of power loops.

I didn't use the normal wing mount pieces. On the latest black plastic frame there are two similar but much larger pieces and I used those. The wing mount is highly stressed in bad landings and the bigger one spreads the load over a greater area. Also don't forget to "energize" the plastic by roughing it up with sandpaper or the epoxy won't stick.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
Did I miss something here?

I fly a GWS zero stock kit with a bp21 motor and a 9070 0r 1080 prop and have never changed the wing setup. I dont use 3 cell packs just a 2 cell and Love the performance I get as is Don't need a rocket just a good flying scale zero.

Side note is this mode required only when you go to a faster brushless setup or a 3 cell pack.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:26 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Robert,

It is said that there two groups of people who can make the Zero fly without modification (necessary because the wing incidence was set up for the much less powerful motor the Zero was launched with). The first group, they say, leave no shadows in the sunlight, they came from No-one Knows Where, they communicate with whales, they eat only on the 29th February and it is said they drink the blood of humming birds. The second group succeed because they built the damn thing so badly they cancelled out all the errors during the build. Since I know you to be an excellent builder I conclude you must belong to the first group

Lol! you're winding me up right? I don't think there's ever been a Zero thread which hasn't discussed the wing incidence

There are people who claim to make it fly without modification but, as I've already explained, its a superior race of beings with whom we mortals cannot compete.

I've always held you in the highest regard and now I salute you as a superior being (even if you are using a BP21!)
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:05 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,770 Posts
Thanks Roger,
That was some decription. I think you could write an interesting book with you descriptions. I must be group one also. I am on my 2nd zero in 3 years. I must have had 170 flights on the first one. . It is the #1 flier in my squardron. Don't leave home with out it. I use a Himax2025- 4200 with an APC 10X5 and get unlimited verticals and stunts and nice inverted flybys. Of course it is not scale flying but I fly it like a sport plane. I work this plane. The landings are very good too. I can dead stick it in with a nice glide. All of this with the elevator turned down to make up the wing incedence problem. I wore this plane out. The fuselage was slowly getting soft and mushy with age and stress so I retired it. Just before I retired it I flew it as a Rufe. I could not get it off the water because the rudder was not installed. I hand launched it and it flew nice and looked real. It still could do all manuevers. All the floats were plugin.
My second Zero has rudder added for more antics. I guess I have 40 flights on this one so far with the same motor setup. The major change is the 11.3 lipo 20-30C rated. What a fantastic flyer. My favorite by far. I can fly by nice and slow looking scale and then kick the power burst in and climb like a super charged plane again. I guess I will wear this one out also. There will always be a zero in my hanger.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:43 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Robert,

It is said that there two groups of people who can make the Zero fly without modification (necessary because the wing incidence was set up for the much less powerful motor the Zero was launched with). The first group, they say, leave no shadows in the sunlight, they came from No-one Knows Where, they communicate with whales, they eat only on the 29th February and it is said they drink the blood of humming birds. The second group succeed because they built the damn thing so badly they cancelled out all the errors during the build. Since I know you to be an excellent builder I conclude you must belong to the first group

Lol! you're winding me up right? I don't think there's ever been a Zero thread which hasn't discussed the wing incidence

There are people who claim to make it fly without modification but, as I've already explained, its a superior race of beings with whom we mortals cannot compete.

I've always held you in the highest regard and now I salute you as a superior being (even if you are using a BP21!)
LOL!!!! COOL!!! I guess I'm a "spook"!!!

I put 200 flights on my non-modified wing incidence GWS Zero. The power plant was a Himax 2025-4200, which hit about 45 mph. It WOULD climb under power, but I only had to push the stick forward slightly to keep it flying properly (as I do on most of my models).

After reaching 200 flights (a personal goal), I sold it to a buddy who is still flying it. According to my flight log, I put 45.13 hours on it before retireing it.

Actually, the positive wing incidence allowed me to perform a 52-minute flight on September 20, 2005. This feat was achieved with a Tanic 3s 2220 mAh LiPo. Positive incidence allows you to fly the airplane at slower speeds, conserving your battery power!

You can see the build thread here.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Apr 07, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 06:55 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
LOL!!!! COOL!!! I guess I'm a "spook"!!!
"The first group, they say, leave no shadows in the sunlight, they came from No-one Knows Where, they communicate with whales, they eat only on the 29th February and it is said they drink the blood of humming birds."

Hmmmmmmmm I never really found a GWS plane that did not fly out of the box! Maybe a little tinkering but not much...........than again I may build them
heavy and bent!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16