HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:44 PM
Red Lake Falls, MN
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
BP-18 can be found at RChotdeals.com for about $18. I use a 10-5 apc prop with it. It has about 25 oz of thrust.
rlfgary is offline Find More Posts by rlfgary
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2007, 07:52 PM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Der Funny-Wulf...

A secret GWS plane..??Not really,I started with a slope Funnypark to kit bash this cartoony looking warbird,most GWS builders know this plane builds tail heavy,so to correct that slight design flaw I hacked off the front end,added scrap computer foam and gorilla-glued the front back on...now it's extended 1.62 inch and balances perfectly with out the dreaded clay stick.I also took out the polyhedral wing and flattened it..CF spar in wing and horizontal slab.All covered with green tape,Nelson dark green and Ultracote Grey,ME-109 insigs,I'm not done with the trim...may change a few things...add some airbrushed effects.Himax 2015-4100 with C gearing and 130 watts on 3's.AUW is 17 ozs.Too c-c-cold to fly tho...
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Last edited by Diesel Dan; Feb 03, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:17 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
Cool Dan.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Yeah -- strangly enough, I actually like that!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Feb 04, 2007, 08:44 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Here's some pics of my new Stearman - "Betty Boop" - another addition to "Roger's Flying Circus" come along to join my TM400 and pico moth - not to mention the other ssssshhhhh! planes in my GWS fleet

I'm kind of ashamed putting my scruffy workmanship up amongst the beauties in this thread but at least it's not blue and yellow. The lower wing is still showing some of the scars of using Tamiya polycarbonate paint by mistake instead of Tamiya polystyrene. I'm here to tell you that however fast you wipe it off it ain't fast enough....

You'll see it has "interesting" negative dihedral on the lower wing. The wing was pretty warped as it came out of the box but I reset it with a carbon fibre spar which I thought had fixed it but fitting the interplane cabanes seems to have brought it back - may need to do some tuning there.

The TM400 has a 2208 driving a 9050HD on 3 cells and flies well - no rocket ship but certainly capable of much better than scale performance. At the moment the PT-17 has a 2212 and I'm guessing it will want a bigger prop than 9050 but I don't like the slowfly jobs and the next HD is 1080 which has too much pitch - any suggestions?

Modified l/g but done differently from the 400 - this is braced from the rear and I really need to put fairings on yet. Have to wait till I go to my club flying to maiden it - flying in my normal rough backyard field is not good for landing gear arrangements - even re-inforced ones - ask me how I know this

But it's a great day - so I'm flying the rest of the warbirds today.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Mar 08, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Roger You brought back memories when I was young I used to use my dads tractor to mow a family friends 1/2 mile flying field. He had a flying service with several Stearman's set up to spray and dust. All had motor changes. Took off the 7 cylinder and put on a 9 . Much power ! Any how he took me for a ride in the one with 2 seats . WHOA ! Came back with tree limbs hanging from the gear. Mowed the tops of the Australian pines they used to plant around the orange groves. Wind break. So much for my Stearman memories. Happy Landings.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Feb 04, 2007, 09:59 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
Came back with tree limbs hanging from the gear. Mowed the tops of the Australian pines they used to plant around the orange groves.
WOW! I thought if an airplane clipped a tree like that, the tree would just drag the airplane down into the dirt!

Great story.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:08 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
You'll see it has "interesting" negative dihedral on the lower wing. The wing was pretty warped as it came out of the box but I reset it with a carbon fibre spar which I thought had fixed it but fitting the interplane cabanes seems to have brought it back - may need to do some tuning there.
Roger-- I used stout thread for rigging wire bracing on one of my biplanes to maintain proper dihedral on the lower wing. Actually worked out pretty well and adds real strength.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:11 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Nah Those kind of trees had a soft top with small limbs. Scare the heck out of you but a good pilot can do it and he was the best.
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:44 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Roger-- I used stout thread for rigging wire bracing on one of my biplanes to maintain proper dihedral on the lower wing. Actually worked out pretty well and adds real strength.

Mike
Thanks Mike - that's a trick I've used on my BMI FOkker DVII and it looks like I'll need it again. It may be though that the non-standard outer struts are a tad out on length - I may try shortening them a bit as well
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:39 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
OK, flying over for the day - still not maidened Betty Boop but the rest that were out got some flying time booked and at least the parts count is still what it was earlier. AND the neighbours grandson, who clocks in at about six years old had a short session on the sticks while the Pico moth was up (we started more than three mistakes high and we needed two and three quarters of them

I've posted the reverse view because I'm looking for sympathy here (but probably not going to get it) - the high winds in the UK on 1/10 took out the 40' larch at the bottom of my garden - no great hardship there - it improved the view and those that wanted free firewood have made good progress, as you can see. It's the prospect of rebuilding the g.d. drystone wall that's not at all good - I have determined that is likely to inflict serious injury on my flying/building time , not to mention my back
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:44 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,678 Posts
Nice fleet there Roger. I really like the weathering on your Zero.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:49 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Thanks Pat. Some is weathering and some is just because its had the knocked out of it - its clocked a lot of flying time
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:52 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,678 Posts
Mine's the same way Roger. I think I fly my Zero more than any other, and it goes like stink too! It's ready for a sanding and repaint though. I got this as a painted kit, so all I did was slap it together and add decals.

It's the only GWS plane in my fleet not to see any serious crash damage. The worst it's had are a few "hard" landings.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 04, 2007, 12:00 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Oh man, Roger, that's a lot of work ahead for you, bummer!!!!

Nice 17, though, I think I should get one and get really creative painting it

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob