SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 07, 2005, 01:28 AM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamace
Thanks David! tell me about how it handled? was it less stable at slow speed?

I have not flown it yet.

ya it was a little less stable at lower speeds but the fix was easy enough: dont go that slow lol! just take it up high to figure out its stall habits before you land it like this.. if you havent already that is; sorry about not getting back to you on that.

the roll rate went up too; that was a LOT of fun... lets see what else... oh ya inverted flight gets WAY easier with no dihedral, inverted loops and figure eights... everything i guess. its a great aerobatic trainer. have fun!

-David
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2005, 03:36 AM
Joined Jan 2005
31 Posts
My spitfire

Typhoon 6/20 motor and Lipo 3 cell 2100 mAh, goes like a rocket
Chuck Hugely is offline Find More Posts by Chuck Hugely
Old May 14, 2005, 02:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
31 Posts
Corsair

Himax 4200 geared motor and lipo 3 cell 2100 mAh.
Chuck Hugely is offline Find More Posts by Chuck Hugely
Old May 14, 2005, 04:47 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
Finally built my Pict Tiger Moth. Packing Himaxx Brushless and Li-po's. I attached a velcro strip to the fuselage with the cowl screws, in order to hold the battery securly.
NJ Flyer 72 is offline Find More Posts by NJ Flyer 72
Old May 14, 2005, 05:04 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Wow! That's a great idea! I hope you have a bit of velcro on the battery though!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old May 14, 2005, 05:49 PM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
Thanks ! Yeah, I have a strip of velcro in the battery compartment and the battery itself.

This is such a good looking plane, I can't believe I put off buying one for so long.

NJF72
Old May 16, 2005, 07:30 PM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,023 Posts
My TigerMoth 400
Himax 2025 66T & APCe 11x7
TP3S2100 & Phx25
Electron 6
HS-55 (Rudder Elevator)
HS-81 for Dual Ailerons
Eflightline ply struts
PowerPro Wing Wires
AUW 20.4 oz

Beagle
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old May 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
My Recently completed P-51:
E-flite 2015-4100
Full house HS-55's all around
Invasion stripes added under wings with monokote trim tape.
Dubro wheels with wattage F-22 landing gear wires bent to fit the Mustang;much sturdier.
Dollar Store pilot
TP 1320 3s
AUW 15.4 oz

Maiden this weekend
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Last edited by SammyB; May 19, 2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 19, 2005, 08:04 PM
United States, CT, Meriden
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
Finally did it!!

OK.... I finally succeded in getting my Corsair to fly!! Hooorahh.
A little background info. Being the hardheaded person that I am, I decided to forgo the usual route of trying to learn to fly with a trainer and instead decided to get a GWS corsair as my first plane. Well actually my second. The first was an Alfa Corsair that met a rapid and untimely death at my hands on the first attempt. Not so with the GWS Corsair. Owing to it's incredible ruggidness, I was able to nose it in a couple of times while sustaining only moderate damage and i.e. bent drive shaft, but no damage to the plane itself. After readin many posts and rethinking the events of the first ill fated attempt, I came to the conclusion that first, the throws on the control were way too sensitive when set up for 10mm throw as reccomended in the manual, and second, the plane was a little tail heavy and the CG needed to be moved up about 5 mm. SOOOOO, before attempting my most recent flight, I hollowed out some of the battery slot to allow the battery pack to slide all the way forward to the cowling that shifted the CG the required amount, and I also moved the control rods on both aileron and elevator in one hole on the servos to reduce the throw. On my second attmpt, the plane kept nosing over on ROG take off attempts and so frustated, I decided to pack it up for the day and give it some more thought. After some deliberation, I decided that with the CG moved up the way it was, I would need to bend the landing gears more to keep it from nosing over. Well, today after having made the necessary adjustments I headed out to the local flying field and decided come H_ll or high water, I was going to get it up in the air. I checked all the controls and got the plane in position on the paved runway. A parking lot just next to an enormous grass field. I jammed full throttle and the corsair began it's rapid run down the runway and became airborne just a few feet before the end of the runway which was a nasty curb. Once in the air, I noticed I had a hard time geting it to climb. It seemed to be slugish. As soon as I put it into a banked turn, I would begin to lose altitude and pulling back on the elevator didn't seem to have as much affect as I thoght it should have. After trying a few failed flights this way, I decided to move the elevator control in one hole at the control horn under the elevator. Well..... let me tell you that made all the difference in the world. I found I had just the control I need to get the plane to go where I wanted it to and it climbed and turned with authority. After a few circles around the field, I felt confident enough to try a few low level buzzing maneuvers. These also wernt flawlessly. Then I thought to myself, it'll be time to land soon. Dare I attempt a ROG landing on the short parking lot strip? I was feeling pretty confident and felt the plane was responding well to my inputs and so I decided to go for it. I lined out about 100 feet out and started to throttle back. As she glided swiftly towards me and the landing spot, I adjusted the glide path with some judicious throttle control. Lo and behold, and much to my surprise, she settled down on the paved runway beautifully!!! The minor negative to the landing was I ran out of runway before the plane could roll to a stop. No problem, she nosed over at the end of the runway and I ran around like a giddy school girl reveling in my success. This was followed by two more successful take offs, flights and landings. On the third flight, I know I was probably pushing my luck with the battery and that I should probably err on the side of caution and change the battery for a fresh pack that I had ready and waiting. Well when I launched with the original pack, the plane seemed sluggish and I realized it was time to change batteries. I did one circle around the field and lined up for another landing, only this time as I was throttling down for the landing, disaster struck in the form of a nasty tip stall. I knew as soon as it happened I had pushed my luck too far with that pack and the result was a fuselage boken in half and a broken wing. Well my wife who witnessed the entire event was awe struck at the damage and was sure the plane would never fly again. I assured her that since the break was clean, that I would have the plane up and flying in a day or so with some liberal application of epoxy. I just finished epoxying it back together and it's looks good to go.
Can't wait to get out there and try it again. I do have to say though that all the time spent on the computer flight simulators really paid off in knowing how to steer the plane at different orientations. That and the fact that I use to race RC cars and still race RC sailboats I'm sure paid off too.
Miklos is offline Find More Posts by Miklos
Last edited by Miklos; May 19, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 20, 2005, 07:41 AM
Got Speed?
Aiken, South Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2004
247 Posts
that second pic is how my corsair look right now.
TooSlow is offline Find More Posts by TooSlow
Old May 20, 2005, 08:47 AM
A swell guy
New Jersey
Joined Dec 2004
312 Posts
That bottom picture makes me feel sick. Brings back bad memories
Old May 20, 2005, 09:11 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Nice P-51, Sammy.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old May 20, 2005, 09:13 AM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Thanks Red! It's weathered now with 50 cals in the wings. Just have to post a new pic.
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old May 20, 2005, 02:25 PM
United States, CT, Meriden
Joined May 2004
227 Posts
It's all better now.

If it makes you feel better Sammy, the Corsair went back together nice and should be up and flyin again this weekend. Just have to put the electronics back in.
Miklos is offline Find More Posts by Miklos
Old May 21, 2005, 01:35 PM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Did you ever see a cliped wing Spitzo
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340