HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomi
Comon guys,, it's Hitec not Hitek or hitech...

it's Etec Lipos, not Etech, or Etek...

It's V-Tec not V-Tech

and how do we spell "comon"......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Smiling,

I hope YOU are.......

LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:05 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
yup im smiling.

I spell comon becuase it's computer language..hehe..

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Oct 08, 2005, 12:08 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
mis-use of spelling and word usage, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomi
yup im smiling.
I spell comon becuase it's computer language..hehe..
-Tomi
Ha, we gotta (spell put up with a lot, but as long as the point is 'made', I'm happy.......... the one that "bugs" ME the most is when people call our electric MOTORS "engines"......... wow, it's all over the place...... but I forgive them............ can't fix EVERYBODY..... ha, I can't even FIX MYSELF.

glad you're smiling.
LarryR
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:07 AM
DLGer and park pilot
Rockford,IL USA
Joined Oct 2004
434 Posts
Quote:
the one that "bugs" ME the most is when people call our electric MOTORS "engines"
Yea, same here
Trace Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Trace Lewis
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:17 PM
Joined Sep 2005
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace Lewis
Yea, same here
Both terms are perfectly correct. They're engines in that they convert electrical energy to kinetic energy, and they're motors in that the make the helicopter move.
WhirlyGeek is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyGeek
Old Oct 11, 2005, 02:59 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Actually, not true. In physics terms, an internal combustion ENGINE is an engine. An electric MOTOR is a motor. They are two different beasts. The terms are NOT interchangable.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Oct 11, 2005, 04:49 PM
Joined Sep 2005
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Actually, not true. In physics terms, an internal combustion ENGINE is an engine. An electric MOTOR is a motor.
Um... tautologies, anyone?

Quote:
They are NOT interchangeable.
I didn't say they were interchangeable. I said they're both correct. By analogy, "father" and "man" are not interchangable, but both correctly apply to me, if that makes my meaning clearer.

Merriam-Webster says an engine is (among other things)

4 : a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion

You seem to be using a narrower definition, can you elaborate? It has to emply a thermodynamic process, or something like that?
WhirlyGeek is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyGeek
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:58 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
stripped out another GWS 350 "c" drive ...on the first flight with it ..grrrrrrrrrr...NOT buying GWS motor/gearbox combo again.That makes 5 motors at 15 bucks apiece coulda bought a decent brushless with that.
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:38 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Here is my GWS A-10 with Twin Johnson 250 "Pusher" Motors, MUCH more power than the crummy EDF-50's that came with this (This is 1st generation A10, got it 1st week they hit hobby shops). I'm using a GWS ICS-480 ESC + 9 Gram Servos + Polyquest 1800-2S Lipo (rated for 18 Amps). So far I am very pleased with the power & now actually doing awesome rolls with the A10!!

-Mike-
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:49 PM
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Florida. On-Campus
Joined Oct 2005
4 Posts
Quote:
Actually, not true. In physics terms, an internal combustion ENGINE is an engine. An electric MOTOR is a motor. They are two different beasts. The terms are NOT interchangable.
You guys are dorks...just forget about it and fly your planes!
ERAU ATC is offline Find More Posts by ERAU ATC
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:51 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERAU ATC

wipe my tears from my eyes...
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:48 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
I'm kinda shocked............

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERAU ATC
Embry Riddle staff, student, or what makes no difference........... where did YOU learn to communicate? What kind of refection is that on THEM???

Well, you are SOOOO lucky to be THERE whatever your status there; personal problem that I HAVE is that THAT was my childhood dream to go there and be a commercial pilot...........

but that is MY problem................... I have an opinion on motors and engines, tooooooooooo, but just because somebody DISAGREES WITH ME (or you) is NO REASON to go about calling people DORKS......... besides, don't you know it's AGAINST the guidelines of these forums??

OK, consider yourself SCOLDED by an OLD MAN................. however, I wish you SUCCESS in your endeavors, and hope that in the meantime you will learn RESPECT/HONOR/DIGNITY and some of those other good things.

Regards,
LarryR
Old Oct 15, 2005, 01:17 AM
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Florida. On-Campus
Joined Oct 2005
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee
Embry Riddle staff, student, or what makes no difference........... where did YOU learn to communicate? What kind of refection is that on THEM???

Well, you are SOOOO lucky to be THERE whatever your status there; personal problem that I HAVE is that THAT was my childhood dream to go there and be a commercial pilot...........

but that is MY problem................... I have an opinion on motors and engines, tooooooooooo, but just because somebody DISAGREES WITH ME (or you) is NO REASON to go about calling people DORKS......... besides, don't you know it's AGAINST the guidelines of these forums??

OK, consider yourself SCOLDED by an OLD MAN................. however, I wish you SUCCESS in your endeavors, and hope that in the meantime you will learn RESPECT/HONOR/DIGNITY and some of those other good things.

Regards,
LarryR
Whoa....Relax guy...I was merely stating the obvious. Since we are all here contributing to this forum, we are obviously fond of aviation. I find no sense in arguing about a RC aircaft's powerplant terminology. That said, how about we have people talk about things of interest to model aviation and not complaining about proper ways of speaking or typing.
I do apologize if any one of you took offense to the "dork" comment. However, I still feel that arguments over such arbitrary matters is dorky.
Lets just all fly and not sweat the small stuff.
ERAU ATC is offline Find More Posts by ERAU ATC
Old Oct 18, 2005, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2004
52 Posts
This is my second e-starter with an axi 2212/34. Had the stickers on it for a couple weeks and decided to take them off and paint it. Almost looks like a search and rescue plane, if it was in red. Ended up to be really light 14.9 ounces.You just can't beat this plane for fun.
Justin B is offline Find More Posts by Justin B
Old Oct 30, 2005, 05:01 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
Mr. Lin, don't be mad at me.

Model airplane flying is supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be scientific, pushing the envelope of technology.
In that spirit, may I present the Beaver Tri-Motor!
In truth, I was building my A-10, and put the EDF's down. I then set my Beaver on the bench and took a look at what I had. Hmm. Tempting.
Now I'm looking at a completed A-10, and wondering if I can make a float plane out of it. A jet float plane! Oh Mr. Lin, don't be mad at me.
I am convinced that GWS planes are like LEGO's. They're building blocks. Oh, you can make the plane on the front of the box, or you can go off into the wild blue yonder and come up with your own design. That's the beauty of GWS inexpensive toys.
Come on, give GWS a break! They never broke any of my airplanes. I take care of that personally.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf