HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2002, 04:18 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4 Posts
Moto calc data for EJF/KC F-18

Wondering if any one has created these yet.
Thanks
Buster is offline Find More Posts by Buster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2002, 05:33 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
There is a good amount of real-life experience with that model - what do you want to know?
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Apr 01, 2002, 06:58 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,592 Posts
Re: Moto calc data for EJF/KC F-18

Quote:
Originally posted by Buster
Wondering if any one has created these yet.
Thanks
welcome to e zone Buster:
as Haldor mentioned, quite a few bug drivers around here.

F18

Drive System:
IntakeDiameterEdit=
ExhaustDiameterEdit=2.25
FanDiameterEdit=2.7
IntakeLengthEdit=6
ExhaustLengthEdit=6
FanPitchEdit=3.66
HubDiameterEdit=1.3
FanThrustCoeffEdit=0.807
FanPowerCoeffEdit=0.50
DriveSystemNameEdit=WeMoTec Mini Fan 480

Airframe:
WingAreaEdit=195
EmptyWeightEdit=24
AirframeNameEdit=F18
WingSpanEdit=27.5
AirfoilInfoEdit=1120311
DragInfoEdit=1111

here is the airframe & fan info for moto calc.........gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Last edited by gregg f; Apr 01, 2002 at 07:00 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2002, 07:45 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4 Posts
Go it thanks!!!
Old Apr 01, 2002, 08:18 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4 Posts
EJF F-18

Haldor
I got one for Christmas ant it is my 1st DF and 1st Electric. I am learning about electrics as I go. But main question is which power plant combo do I use? I know that is a very broad question with a lot of correct answers. Here is what I have; I bought a Kontronic Speedy 400 6.0 V and Kontronic Rondo ESC and Hitec feather pack. Now I need to know which fan and battery pack to get. RIght now I am leaning towards either the wemotec 480 or the Graupner 'Jet' for a 480 (Hobby-lobby.com) as for batteries I am thinking 8x2400 or 10x1700. My question there is do I accept the higher current i.e heat of the 2400's or the higher wieght of the 1700's. Any input is appreciated. Also if you have any recomendations or leads on a better motor I am not set on the Kontronic.
Thanks
Buster
Old Apr 01, 2002, 09:49 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Hi Buster.

Sorry to dissapoint you but the Speedy400 is no good for this jet. The motor is too small to handle the power required to fly the F18.

As a minimum (power and cost) the F18 can be flown with the following:
Graupner speed480 BB Race 7,2V on 8xCP1300 in the Wemotec 480Minifan. If AllUpWeight (AUW) is 32oz or less it should do okay but it wont be fast or powerful.
Get the Wemotec as the F18 was designed around that fan and it will fit like a glove.

Depending on your budget there are a good deal of opportunities out there maxing out at around $210 for top shelf brushless motor and matching controller.
In this range you can have anything you'd like from mild to wild.

There appear to be a nice powerplant in the Kyosho AP29L motor but you need to grind out s little from the fanhousing to make it fit. Some around have done that so info/guidance cen be obtained no problem.

Batteries - stay away from any of the RC cells (C denote size)such as the RC/CP2400 and RC1700 flavours - too heavy. Get Sanyo CP1300 or 1700's. Which to choose of those two depends on the intended powerlevel and duration wanted.

Are you thinking about handlaunching or would you consider bungee assisted TakeOffs?

The Kontronik Speedy400 combo is great for small sub 20oz WW2/sport prop jobs or EHLG gliders so save it for something along those lines.
Old Apr 01, 2002, 05:58 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4 Posts
Haldor
Good stuff to know. I am only out $40 on the Kontronic and I will probably use it un something else. As far launches, I was planning on some sort of foot pedal bungee launcher. As for the motor I want the best performance that I can get. I can always throttle back if it is overpowered right? What do you recomend. I was thinking about the Astro 05 brushless. Also, I saw on some ones web F-18 web site where they routed out lightning holes in the bukheads. Do you have any info on that i.e which ones can be cut and how much? And finally, what is Japaneese tissue and where can it be found?
Thanks
Buster
Old Apr 02, 2002, 06:50 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
The webpage you refer to could very well be my own - http://home.online.no/~hlonning
There isnt much ply in the model but the two aft body formers/wingspar bulkhead can be lightened some. Not required though.

If you want performance and are willing to pay for it I can recommend the same setup I'm currently using - a Kontronik FUN400-36 with the SMILE40-6-12 controller. That combo will cost ya approx $210 at www.nesail.com and on 10zapped CP1700 cells its a riot. Flighttimes 3-5minuted depending on how heavy you are on the throttle. The combo is called Kontronik "Fan Drive S"

Japanese tissue is very thin rice paper - havent tried it myself but I would prefer regular iron-on covering for added durability.