SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2005, 06:38 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
T-hawk upgrade WOW!!!

This past weekend I added a Mega 16/15/5 brushless motor, eflight 40 brushless ESC along with a Thunder power li-poly 3 cell 1320 mah battery to my T-Hawk. All I can say is WOW!! It would do anything I asked it. I did add a strip of packing tape to the bottom of the wing. This thing is amazing.
adhsooner is offline Find More Posts by adhsooner
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2005, 09:55 PM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Forive the question but would it be worth it to upgrade the T-Hawk to brushless and still run on NiMh? I just don't want to cross over to LiPo just yet.
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Apr 04, 2005, 10:34 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Gee, another thread on the T-Hawk. How nice.

Somewheres in the Parkflyer forum, there is a thread where a fellow T-Hawk flyer set up his plane with a Mega 16/15/3 and a 2100 mAh TP lipo, I think it was a 3S1P pack. He shot a video of the plane. Unbelievable.

>>"...would it be worth it to upgrade the T-Hawk to brushless and still run on NiMh?"<<

Yes, but only from the standpoint of you already having the NiMH packs available. I am assuming you are referring to the 900 mAh packs available thru Toytronix, the T-Hawk supplier. The trade off will be flying time. The Mega 16/15/5, although notably less of an amp eater than the 16/15/3, will very likely consume more amps that the stock 380 size motor. This will drain down the NiMH's pretty quickly. You can get a GP1100 7 cell NiMH pack for the T-Hawk (I use them), but again your flying time will be short, when using a high power B/L motor. I am surprised Adhsooner can get good sustained performance on a 1320 3S1 LiPo pack. Usually, the Mega 16/15 series, up to the 5 pole motors, require a fair amount of amperage. Fitting a 2100 TP pack into the plane is a challange in itself. Possible the 1320 3S TP packs are less in lenght and will be an easier fit. If going B/L, consider LiPo's in the equation. Just my opinion.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 05, 2005, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2004
82 Posts
Doug's wrong the 16/15/7 gets a little more than double the flight time on the stock battery. Loops from level on half throttle, too.

Oh yeah, make sure you get the particular Mega that you will want to keep for other planes. The 7 is more used in general, but the 4 is great, too (with a Cobri gearbox, say).
rbale1 is offline Find More Posts by rbale1
Old Apr 05, 2005, 06:13 AM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Thanks, I know that the BL motors are supposed to be much more efficient than the brushed ones which would lead in the direction of longer flights, also they can eat up more amps, leading to shorter flights. Right now I only have one of the 900mAh and two 1050's. I might have to look into the 16/15/7.
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Apr 05, 2005, 08:20 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
The Mega 16/15/7 is a completely different performing motor than the /3 or the /5, more in line with a really good Speed 400, but with the advantage of greater efficiency. In many ways, perhaps a better recommendation than the hotter Mega B/L's. If you wish to tie in a gearbox arrangement, a Cobri is as good selection. Keep in mind the original T-Hawk power train is direct drive. If you run a gear box, in order to reduce the very high RPM of the Mega 16/15/3 or even the 16/15/5, you will LOSE thrust and therefore speed. Why? Because you cannot prop UP in order to take advange of the gearbox allowing a larger or higher pitch prop. Why? Because we are limited to the size prop that will clear the fuselage/boom arrangment! This is why Zagi's (those horrible things!! ) and other pusher type wing designs run direct drive. Limited prop clearance.

I like the concept of the Mega 16/15/7. Check with Mega's website, even Hobby Lobby to get cross reference figures as to RPM, thrust (check for what size prop is used to determine this thrust data) for the various Mega motors. Nothing wrong at all with using a Speed 400 equivalent, in brushless construction, to gain better efficiency which = longer flights, better use of your available power. For absolute disgusting ( ) raw power, fire-breathing amps, total torture of your NiMH's, you can't beat the 16/15/3 on an 1100 NiMH 8 cell (AA) pack, with a 5x5 prop turning almost 19K rpm. How do I know? I did this several times on my highly modified Speedy 400, and melted the plastic wrap on the battery packs! Then I switched to HC LiPo's, 2100 mAh, 2S1P construction. Problem solved.

Good luck

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:52 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Mar 2004
37 Posts
I flew on the li-poly 1320's for 15 minutes. I still had battery left. I am going to switch this motor over to my Zagi
adhsooner is offline Find More Posts by adhsooner