HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2005, 02:03 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,734 Posts
Dumas Chris Craft Commander

I know Pat is still finishing the Warden Johnson and Saturn Tug, but I would love to see a build of the Dumas Commander when they are done. I am particularly interested in a modification to the cabin, because the windows in the "stock-built" kit are not openings, but recessed areas painted black. If anyone else has built the kit, I would love to see their pictures. Thanks.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2005, 05:15 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,149 Posts
Pete, I built the cc commander a couple of winters ago,really nice kit! Not for the faint of heart though.I made a few changes added cauking strips and used counter rotating props ect.Its one of my best performing boats.I had the same thought as you as far as the windows but the way the cabin is designed it would be quite an project to change them. I ended up painting the back side of the plastic before I glued them in place, looks fine.I'll try to get some pics posted as I'm going to brake down and get a digital camera.I also want to post some pics of the Brooklyn that I'm getting close to final finishing.I'm really happy how it came out. Harry
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Apr 04, 2005, 06:23 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,734 Posts
Harry -- looking at the instruction book for the cabin, I got that impression, but Dumas said it could be done [with no specifics]. Years ago, I built the Marx 42' Chris Craft express cruiser, and put in interior lights and venetian blinds. It just looked so great on night runs I would still like to get that effect in this model. That model still shows up a lot on ebay -- it usually has a "Patricia" decal on the stern, turquoise cabin and is about 18" long.

I got two esc's and counter-rotating props with the idea of being able to run each shaft independently. You can have a lot of fun maneuvering alongside a dock that way. We used to do it with large models in shiphandling school and it is very realistic.

Would love to see your Brooklyn pix. That one was also on my list, but I have several kits to build before I can get a new one...

Pete G.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:22 PM
EAFB, SD
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Hey guys, I came across this forum and I've got a question for you. I inherited a RC boat from my grandfather after he passed away last year. I'm working on restoring it. My grandma said he built it about 30 years ago. It says Chris Craft on the side. The closest thing I've found to it is the Chris Craft Commander, but it's still alittle different then mine. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what model i have, so I could maybe track down the guts of the boat. Both motors are still there, but all the servos and radio equip are gone. I'm almost done re-painting it. And would love to get it in the water ASAP. I've got a radio and receiver, but need to get the servos and motor controls. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle
khFELIX is offline Find More Posts by khFELIX
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:34 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,763 Posts
Looks like you got yerself a Sterling Chris Craft 42' Corvette. Search on that here, you'll find LOTS of info.

Pat M

ps: In fact, start a new thread and show us everything you got there! I know Kmot LOVES pictures...

pps: Welcome to the forums!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:48 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,734 Posts
If your model is 48" long, it would be the Corvette, but I believe it may ba a 50' Catalina. The Sterling Chris Craft 50' Catalina model was 31.25" long with a beam of 8 & 3/8". There is a resoration thread for the Catalina here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...craft+catalina

Pete G.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 06:23 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,008 Posts
Yeah, nice boat! More pictures!!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
EAFB, SD
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the replys so quickly! I'll start a new thread tonight and post my pics!
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:55 PM
EAFB, SD
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Heres the link to my thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post10135118

KYLE
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:49 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,455 Posts
Kyle, P J Glor is right about the dimensions of the two Sterling models. I believe you have a very nicely assembled and painted C-C 42' Corvette model (4 feet long), judging by the roominess of the hull and the way the Pittman motors fit in it. Judging by my partially completed smaller Catalina model, the Pittmans would be a much more snug fit in that narrower hull.
You have a fine example of a very desirable model with some good motors in it. Please let us know how your progress on it goes, with pictures, if possible.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Jul 13, 2008, 07:20 AM
S.E. Mass.
Joined Oct 2007
268 Posts
There's one, built, for sale, right now on ebay.
time4420 is offline Find More Posts by time4420
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
EAFB, SD
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Where at? I tried finding it, but no luck! Can you give me a link?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
EAFB, SD
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Pete,

Got another question. maybe your plans will tell me.

As seen in the pic below from edmigley51146's beautiful CC Corvette. Are the Green and Red position lights just painted, or is there a way to drill out that space and put in a red and green LED?