SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Clay Cross
Joined Jan 2013
29 Posts
Have fun with picasim a free app for most phones and tablets great for training with differing models, landscapes and environments. Fly anytime you've got a free minute, developed by an experienced flyer, be warned its addictive!!
lanerover is offline Find More Posts by lanerover
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:00 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
Size usually translates to area of sky. Larger planes tend to fly better but need more room. They tend to be less bothered by wind and are more tollerant of rough ground. But you need a lot of space.

Small planes are flown closer, need less sky, but are more easily tossed around by wind.

So, your smileage will vary by your environment as well as your budget.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
New and reading first.

I signed up for your site last night, confirmed and started research this morning. I have a small cheap helicopter on it's way and I would like to eventually get an Icon A5... (first the RC, and then a real one).
This forum has been a great place to start. Thank you very much.
kevinthetwin is offline Find More Posts by kevinthetwin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:19 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,284 Posts
Newbie here

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfish31 View Post
Does size matter? LOL! That is, do you think learning on a high-wing trainer w/ a 55" wingspan is easier than learning on a similar hi-winger with a 24" or 30" wing? I have the former that has yet to be flown (waiting for replacement of a defective servo), but am wondering if I should take a step back and downsize? Any thoughts?
I have a low-wing Cessna (57 inch) that is supposed to be good for training and I've flown it a few times. I also have a UM P40 Warhawk (16 inches) with the AS3X stabilization system. My learning experiences up to recently are with Fixed Pitch helos and the RC Desk Pilot and FMS simulators. Very cheap (free) software and a under $17 controller.

I would say setting up the plane to fly in a stable manner are the main problems I've had. Both have been tail-heavy and fly fine now that I've adjusted for that. Larger birds aren't as affected by the wind which may be true in general but not with the ones I selected. The Corvalis is very much affected by wind. The smaller Warhawk has AS3X to compensate for wind. I didn't want to do 3 channels since I felt it encouraged bad habits when I started with the E-flite Scout (3 channels).

But a stable 4 channel bird would have been easier to learn I think and there are some high wing 4 channel birds out there. But they are not my type so I'm doing it the hard way and paying for it with spare parts and time repairing. I don't think small or large is the question really unless you pick birds that fit the general mold - large birds are less affected by wind than small ones. I picked a small bird to fly around the neighborhood when I don't want to travel to a park. I picked a large bird to try in a larger arena. It all depends on what you want. There's a bird for each situation and type of flying, small or large.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:41 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,538 Posts
Very well put Don!
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:07 PM
"If it ain't broke,fly again"
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
940 Posts
newbie on real model plane

Ok its been some time here so here I go. I have played with helis the last 5 years. That said..my first was Axecp V1..(5) crashes and could fly with no more crashing. Cx2 totally blinged out ($400) later in upgrades..no crashes any more. EXI 450..fly no crashes. Then bought Realflight basic....can fly the crap out of all the aircraft in all wind conditions with no crashes. Now I want either the Flyzone Beaver or the Glasair Sportsman RTF by hobbyzone. According to rcgroups review of the flyzone Beaver, and I quote:

Is This For a Beginner?

Yes! With wheeled landing gear she can be flown by a beginner. She handles like a forgiving high wing trainer and I see no reason she couldn't be flown by a beginner. As always I recommend a beginner consult an expert trainer and/or have extensive flight trainer experience for the best chances of success.

Go from there gentlemen. With what I told you of my past R/C experience. Advice...?

Doug

P.S. I also have experience with cars and boats and planes back in my 20's. I belonged to an R/C car club and raced for 3 years. And I was a good driver.
douglas4 is offline Find More Posts by douglas4
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
I have built foam plane, but haven't gotten it off of ground yet. I have a E-SKY 404 tx and can anyone advise if simulator cable will work with the clearview simulator program. If yes can you recommend cable?
rcmoorepe is offline Find More Posts by rcmoorepe
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
excellent advice, had my first flight yesterday with help from an experienced pilot ( the previous owner of my plane, lessons were included in the deal....) I must say that having some rc car racing under my thumbs was a big help in quickly adapting "stick-feeling" and understanding light control movements. My main challenge is recognizing the aircraft attitude and direction when it is 30~45 meters up (double tree height) I am tending to sag down to about 20~25 meters within two to three turns. luckily no crashes and nothing wildly out of control but I had some nose-down over-turns which I luckily had the good reaction to counter with counter-aileron and up-elevator. I guess you need "stick-hours" to learn attitude recognition and how much action your control surfaces require. Is the FMS a good way to practice this or are the models to "abstract" compared to the real ones?

plane is a multiplex funcub with a 2s battery and DX6 controller
cubflyingdave is offline Find More Posts by cubflyingdave
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:42 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
Any sim is good. FMS is OK. Naturally the commercial sims are better.

Based on your note I would suggest you get your plane level and throttle back so it just holds altitude on a straight level flight. Now, do LARGE figure 8s, working on you ability to hold altitude while turning..

The key to this excersise is smooth motions. It also helps you work on your orientation and throttle control.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:50 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,284 Posts
FMS & RC DeskPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubflyingdave View Post
I guess you need "stick-hours" to learn attitude recognition and how much action your control surfaces require. Is the FMS a good way to practice this or are the models to "abstract" compared to the real ones?

plane is a multiplex funcub with a 2s battery and DX6 controller
I've used both FMS and RC DeskPilot and like both. RC DeskPilot seems to have many more models to choose from and they are all free as well. I can't say if they are realistic and true to the airplanes they represent since I don't own any of the currently available models. But I feel they have helped me immensely with orientating myselft to head-on flight. Whether or not you find they are accurate to the models, they are fun and will help you find out whether or not you can orient yourself to a head-on situation. If nothing else, the kids will get a kick out of flying them. I use the cheapest simulator controller available (Dynam). You can find RCDP here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332975
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:46 AM
Canada, NB, Dieppe
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Talking as a slightly experienced noob, resist the urge to fly out in wind. I got over confident with my bixler (my second plane ever). Got it up nice and high, wind started taking it away and i couldnt bring her back, lost her behind the tree line and never found it again ! even with a discovery buzzer.

The wind was way worse up high in the sky then i expected lesson learned.
patrick_stadler is offline Find More Posts by patrick_stadler
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:16 AM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
726 Posts

More info than you ever wanted on the topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_gradient

Bottom line is whenever there is a wind on the surface there will almost always be a stronger wind blowing from a slightly different direction as you climb higher. Not sure about Phoenix sim but Real Flight models this quite nicely.

My advice for getting started in flying in the wind is that no wind at first is ideal; but, wind is generally a fact of life in the atmosphere so learning to deal with it's effects should be a goal as part of advancing your skill set. If you take it slow and follow the advice previously given you will soon find that wind is a challenge that can be quite enjoyable.
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:27 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
Good point on the wind being stronger up high.

As a glider pilot who regularly flies abover 1000 feet, I can assure you that this is absolutely true. In addition, your preception of wind will be greatly impacted by the size of your open area and where you are standing.

Howerver the most difficult place to fly can be in that 50 to 100 foot zone where the wind is coming fast across the trees and houses, turbulent as can be. Once you get above that the air smooths out. If you are thinking you are safer near the ground, think again. You are not.

When I walk out of my house to load my car, the wind may be quite mild. But when I go 2 miles to the flying field (800X1600 open space) the wind will feel much stronger. And when I get high, it is stronger still.

This is one of the reasons I put such emphasis on flying up wind. When I am training new pilots, one of the most important skills I teach them is how to stay up wind of themselves. Until they can stay up wind reliably they are not in control of the plane. I don't care how many rolls or loops they can do. Once you let the plane get down wind you are just begging to lose it.

STAYING UP WIND
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/vbgl...howentry&id=23
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
35 Posts
Thanks for taking time for sharing this
it was excellent and very informative,
mark552495 is offline Find More Posts by mark552495
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:15 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1 View Post
Ed,

Excellent information as always! And for the Experienced Pilots with multi-model memory computer radios(as most seem to have) one of the more important things to remember is to check your model memory during the pre-flight check. I've made this mistake more than once with disastrous results!

Ronnie
Another important point, make sure that control surfaces don't just wiggle, they MUST go in the proper directions. Normally, if you have the right model memory selected, surfaces move in the proper directions unless somebody has been resetting something and accidentally reversed a servo, etc.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged