Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2004
418 Posts
I figured out an interesting trick to do with some 2 channel push/pull type planes. To get down out of a strong wind, and if your particular 2 channel plane is capable, if it uses two props for both steering and gaining altitude, you can let it glide down towards you while keeping it into the wind by blipping the control stick left or right *depending on the TX setup this applies to single sticks or two stick controllers. With my AA which has no moving tail/rudder/ailerons what I try to do if I see I'm kind of out of control, is to lightly give it some throttle, then steer in either direction always keeping the nose towards me till she lands some distance in front of me if possible. Apply the in the plane rule to get orientation correct.
spinbotz is offline Find More Posts by spinbotz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:18 AM
Lisburn. UK
Joined Jun 2006
24 Posts
I just want to say that as a newbie, this thread is truly excellent, full of very usefull hints , tips & help.

I got the G3 Real Flight sim which was helping me, but the very first post in this section put it all together and as a consequence ALL my landings are now successfull in G3.
E.G., I used the throttle to take off and land and used the rudder a lot more.

No, I haven't flown a model yet, I haven't even built one though I have some to build. I have a Fledgling Trainer to start with, then a Rainbow, a Katana Mini, A Spitfire and a Mustang.

My very sincere thanks to aeajr and the other members, this thread is invaluable to a newcomer.

Yes I know, what a username, it's all I could come up with, those I preferred are all in use.

Have a nice day.
Ian
Tarzan is offline Find More Posts by Tarzan
Last edited by Tarzan; Jun 04, 2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:44 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Ian,

Welcome to RCGroups, and thanks for your kind words. We are all here to help be successful.

We look forward to your insights and knowledge you can share. For example, if you are really good on G3, there is a sim forum. Maybe you can share some of your tips.

When you start your first build, do a build thread so we can all watch and share in your build and learn from you. Everyone loves a build thread.

Welcome!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 04, 2006, 02:29 PM
Lisburn. UK
Joined Jun 2006
24 Posts
thanks aeajr, no probs, I'll do what I can, however I'll be offline for about a week.

This is for sure one heck of a great forum, if I start to go through the threads I'll never get to fly anything.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 04:49 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,117 Posts
6 more......

1. Practice
2. Practice again
3. Practice some more
4. Practice even more
6. Practice
Bryan Davison is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Davison
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:03 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Davison
6 more......

1. Practice
2. Practice again
3. Practice some more
4. Practice even more
6. Practice
Yea, I used to skip #5 also. #5 is practice not crashing.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Thanks, aeajr. Your comments are very helpful for all of us new to this sport/hobby. Like some of the others here who have commented, I too am returning after years away ... well sort of.

My first experience into RC Flying was probably 15+ years ago. (A LOT has changed!) Back then I built my first plane, (glow powered, electrics have come a long way since then) joined a local club, took one or two lessons with a great instructor, and then on a day when my regular "instructor" didn't show, I asked another instructor who I didn't know and who didn't know me to help me out because I just HAD to fly ... after a couple of square patterns, I let the nose drop too far, the instructor decided to watch a friend fly at that moment and by the time he saw I was in trouble it was too late (no buddy boxes back then) I crashed and destroyed that plane. But, jumped right back in and bought another, spent two more months building and then sold everything ...

Now I've got myself a simulator and I'm trying to decide what to build, what radio to install, which of the local clubs in my area to join, etc. I actually feel more like I'm starting new rather then "returning".

Advice like yours and boards like this are invaluable to everyone in this sport, keep it up.
Johndou is offline Find More Posts by Johndou
Old Jun 19, 2006, 05:26 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
I've just built my first plane with ailerons (an E-starter) and was looking for some tips on fancy manoeuvres. You've all convinced me I need to practice a lot more of the basics!
I maidened it last week (which always scares me to death) but it flies very sweetly, so I'll keep practising those touch and goes...
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Jun 28, 2006, 12:36 PM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
I am not sure if someone has mentioned this already in this thread. A key to sucessful flight is to make sure your plane is balanced correctly. A tail heavy plane is nearly uncontrollable. Nose heavy and the plane lands like a ton of bricks, has difficulty climbing and tends to dive on turns. ARFs and RTFs can even be wacked out from a balance perspective. One of the reason that simulators seem easier is that the planes are generally in perfect balance.
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:03 PM
N.F. Dawn Patrol
Jax. Fl.
Joined Jun 2006
286 Posts
Where was this site 6 months ago.

I am new to r/c flying. Ive wanted to do it for a long time. 6 months ago I told my wife i didnt care, I was buying a plane. (ALLRIGHT, I begged). I bought a hobbyzone firebird freedom. I am sure this is an ok plane, before i got ahold of it. Im sure i crashed because of all the reasons you listed. So pretty much the only origional piece of the plane is the reciever board and motor. I pretty much gave up on this plane. I did however wind up (AFTER much begging) Buy a new plane. the parkzone j-3 piper cub.
I recieved this plane one day and found this site the night before its 1st flight. I have to say i wish i would have bought this plane 1st. Taking your advice into consideration, the 1st 3 flights have gone beautifully.this plane will practically fly itself.
I am however having problems with getting the batterys to charge properly. I am using the dc peak chargers that came with the plane and charging for the stated 40 min. Can anyone give some pointers on this?
Thank you very much for your advice .
P.S. Any fliers in Jax. Fla???
Easyrydr is online now Find More Posts by Easyrydr
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:15 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1 Posts
I flew the first time for forty seconds (the other experienced pilots were telling me what a natural I was) then I hit a tree!!! The plane was eighty feet up and wasn't recovered until a week later. My second flight, yesterday, resulted in one nose dive into the ground, and one smash through some trees. So far, after 200 dollars, I have a total of 75 seconds airtime!!! Weeee..............lol.
iwillspku is offline Find More Posts by iwillspku
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:28 AM
Lisburn. UK
Joined Jun 2006
24 Posts
I'e just come back after a week in hospital and a couple of weks "recuperating".

the bug has returned and as I am taking my time with this malarkey I'm spending some time on my G3 simulator.

As I posted earlier I got the hang of landing, but to do so I had to fly about 100 miles (or so it seemed) from the end of the runway and get all aligned. Now I can take off and turn around and land again. Woweeeee, I'm getting there, maybe I've nearly got there.

I know it's only a simulator and nothing beats the real thing, BUT, a lot can be learned from a sim, and that can be taken onboard when flying the real thing. you know what to expect and what not to do.

IMHO, a flight simulator is a must have.

And now I am feeling confident that I can master my first and subsequent flights so I'm about to start building my Model Tech Fledgling.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 07:48 PM
Key West
Joined Apr 2006
15 Posts
more about wind and orientation

I had to learn how to fly electric sailplanes by myself. didnt have a choice. i was able to fly successfully on the first try and flew over 24 missions on the first weekend. my tips for success follow those already in this thread. However, i'd like to amplify the discussion with these ideas;

practice flying in your mind as you would on a sim. practising in your mind, in my mind, is more powerful than a sim. you can imagine your stress level, the heat, the sunshine, your friends laughing at you etc... i had several sleepless nights before my first flight, all the while practicing the flight in my mind. on the night before, i thought of something new that very well may have saved my plane. i thought that the wind is probably at a different angle up there than it is down here. it is. here in florida, its usually 30 degrees different at about 100 feet. another concern was that the wind speed is greater at altitude as well. take this into account when that bird goes downwind for the first time. its going to move much faster relative to the ground.
about orientation, im sure others have mentioned to twist your body a little to remind yourselft of the direction of the plane and the change in control orientation. but to me the problem was that split second when the plane is at a knife edge to you and your eyes really cant tell what the plane is doing. it took me great mental strenght to tell myself, "i banked right, the plane was turning right, and it still is, regardless of whether i can see it or not. that split second, even with some confidence, can seem like ages and can lead to a bit of panic and that leads to over-control.

lastly, balancing the plane in pitch and roll before even thinking of launching is a must. years ago when i tried to fly i ignored that and it cost me years of given-upness. i must admit that when that plane took off for the first time, my first thought was, holy shXX it flies! its like magic, but then i remember, no, its not magic, its balance, and its serious business. and you have to keep that balance through the entire flight.
Soarcerer is offline Find More Posts by Soarcerer
Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2005
16 Posts
I will agree with those that emphasize proper aircraft setup. There have been many folks at my local flying field who have bought the $200 computer simulators, then bring an out-of-balance, out-of-trim plane out even sometimes with reversed controls.....

And had no idea.

Other risky behaviors:

Replacing NiMH batteries with LiPo and not correcting the out-of balance condition you get putting a lighter doo-dad in place of a heavy one.

Not properly centering controls on "Ready-to-fly" aircraft or installing servos with horns not centered properly.

Complete lack of understanding regarding proper use and limitations of adhesives.

Going on the cheap and buying old, worn out stuff on e-bay without the slightest idea how to repair it.

And treating their local hobby shop like Wal-Mart. My personal favorite: "This plane doesn't fly, I want to exchange it for a new one". The more affluent the customer, the more stubborn they tend to be, too. It's never the fact that they had no understanding, no skill, no practice, and no instruction. It's all the fault of the pretty little airplane that has no eyes, no brain, and no autonomous capability.

Have fun, be safe, and accept ASSISTANCE!

Nick B.
ranger2nd is offline Find More Posts by ranger2nd
Last edited by ranger2nd; Jul 13, 2006 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Adding emphasis to a statement
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:38 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,025 Posts
Good Advice

That's good advice, I gotta add onto it since I taught myself with zero help from any outside party how to fly RC well.

You want to keep an eye at all times on the plane, but if it fly's close to the sun, don't look into it for obvious reasons, your eyesight is worth more then any piece of foam/balsa/plastic and hardware.

Maintenance on the plane itself is paramount, if you have elements that are off, even by what's seemingly small, address them, it's hard enough to learn to fly a plane that's perfect, in the real world, they all are just a little off, and g force alone causes damage and stress even if it never crashes.

Don't be afraid to repair your plane, just don't be rash about it, keep in mind, every extra ounce of glue, piece of tape or reinforcement is adding to the weight which will affect performance and balance, take your time with the early repairs and don't go in debt over buying every little micro stock part from the original manufacturer, these are toy's, not your house and should be kept in that context.

To elaborate upon the "Toy" concept, the equipment is rather expensive as well as the prop moves so fast it can inflict serious damage just as any power tool, always show respect for this or injuries can range from severe burns to loss of fingers and deep gashes in the flesh, the best advice I can give in this area is to not let it have a chance to hurt you in the first place by keeping your parameters of how all things are handled within that context. On the other hand, broke balsa and foam will not end the world, these are not cars that require big bucks to fix nor do they have to look perfect since you don't have to count on them to drive you to work each day and get you around town with your regular activities and social events.

Your first plane should be 2 channel just to get a feel for how the wind works, go 3 when you have respect for it and 4 when you are really ready to push the envelope, do NOT fly 4 as your first bird or you will be destroying a ton in the learning process. You can RC with a 30.00 budget and have one hell of a good time, in fact, I'm going to order another mini flyer just because it was so fun to fly something so small and of course, so cheap so didn't care about wrecking it since the interta was minimal as well as it not being a huge investment. Not only get a feel for each set of controls, but really gain direct control over what the plane does when and where before moving onto the next level and you will save yourself a ton of frustration.

Radio interference is in my opinion the 2nd most frequent problem in rc airplane flying, I've seen it happen over and over again, you are typically flying some 27mhz plane and all of a sudden it has a mind of it's own, range checks help, but they are limited to only the ground, I was today talking to the owner of my lhs that told me he never received any in the park he flew at regularly, yet I've not only lost a few of my own birds, have whitnessed others doing the same in that same park. On the western side, it's not so bad, the eastern edge, forget it, I had my plane power up, turn, etc. forcefully without any input from my end and my radio was powered up sitting next to it resting. Take your plane to a remote spot away from traffic and you have a fighting chance at actually applying what advice is being given, otherwise, you are just recovering from someone elses control.

I'll let the other posters fill in the gap and perhaps elaborate upon what I posted as well, I'm sure this thread is going to be a monster.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Last edited by saucerguy; Jul 14, 2006 at 08:16 AM.