HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitetail
Hello there! I'm very new to this field, and am actually getting into it for my job as a research assistant at my college. I wanted to say thank you for making this thread: this, alongside my practice on a simulator, will help immensely in my being able to perform my assigned duties. Bravo!
Mike,

Just curious, what kind of research are you participating in that requires the use of RCs?

Best,

Tony
eagle12 is offline Find More Posts by eagle12
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2008, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1 Posts
REcomend

hi i have a basic skill plan construction i made a balsa cesna trainer with a .40 engine but now i would like to have your recomend because i would like to make by myself a foamy jet .. the most easy Build plans┐ for begginers .. thanx
sysconsulting is offline Find More Posts by sysconsulting
Old Dec 10, 2008, 02:43 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
After flying full scale for many years a long time ago and now doing RC for a year, I find RC flying is way harder to learn. When you see the guy twiddling his thumbs on the Tx and the plane doing all the neat stuff, it looks so easy . But it isn't.

RC obviously attracts people who love flying, but we RC addicts are different. We dream of building something on our own that will go up into the air and do what we want. We are born innovators and can usually fix most anything around the house. We are the ones who try stuff others never imagine. Of course at the start we can read all the advice about RC planes and what to do, but we are usually cock sure we can do it on our own.

Of course we expect to do it successfully without crashing, but we all learn through lots of crashing. Persistence is a necessary ingredient.

As has been said many times over, start with a basic RTF 3ch durable and easy to fix foamie trainer. By the time you have crashed and fixed it many times and eventually learn to fly it, you'll know way more about RC and where to go from there. The planes are our teachers and they never do BS . The key is never give up and keep trying.

Then its mods and your own stuff and there is no limit. So much fun

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Dec 11, 2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2008
1,214 Posts
My advice, from one noobie to all the others out there, would be from Han Solo in Star Wars:

"Don't get cocky, kid."
slappySF is offline Find More Posts by slappySF
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:33 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Absolutely right, slappy, the best way to prevent most of the crashes . But of course what typical RC freaks do... Icky
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Dec 11, 2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2008
11 Posts
Yeah so I wish I would have come upon this before I decided me and my Aerobird Challenger could handle 10mph winds today. I've flown the plane 10 or 15 times probably but never in wind. It ended with a broken wing..and a tear, ha. I learned a good lesson though. Excellent tips, I think I'll print off a copy for future reference.
Nreverentfear is offline Find More Posts by Nreverentfear
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:38 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
A great thing about learning to fly RC is there is a clear goal. The principles of flying are always the same, and planes and the air they fly in never do BS. Nobody ever quite gets there, and RC flying is always learning and always fun, as long as you don't take anything too seriously. And standard lessons are always keep trying and don't get too cocky Icky
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:20 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarusmelt
And standard lessons are always keep trying and don't get too cocky Icky
I prefer the "keep the pointy end going forward"
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:07 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
I read a little saying the other night that I will always remember but I have no idea who stated it:

"Always remember that gravity will always win,The best we can hope for is a tie"

I hope some others will enjoy this quote as I did....

Safe Landings.....CVOYLES
cvoyles is offline Find More Posts by cvoyles
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoyles
I read a little saying the other night that I will always remember but I have no idea who stated it:

"Always remember that gravity will always win,The best we can hope for is a tie"

I hope some others will enjoy this quote as I did....

Safe Landings.....CVOYLES
"Remember, gravity is not a theory, it's the law. And it's not subject to repeal."
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:22 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
The most important lesson of RC at any stage of learning (never ends) is never ever take anything too seriously, especially yourself and just keep trying. Icky
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:05 PM
F117-ACE
Sth. Melb, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
17 Posts
Thanks man, some good tips
Lol-x is offline Find More Posts by Lol-x
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:46 PM
Unregulated User
East/Central Florida
Joined Feb 2009
176 Posts
Great job! I've been flying for some time and have made nearly every mistake possible, and you covered most of 'em.

Another thing you reminded me of, is your relationship to the sun. Flying into the sun can be a tough experience and no fun at all. Always try to keep the sun at your back, or at least over your sholder. Flying into the sun is probably the easiest way to loose a plane and get confused as to its relationship to your position. Flying late in the afternoon will cause the same problem. When the plane comes out of the sun, you may think it is flying away from you when it is flying toward you, then all your control movements are BACKWARDS - OUCH! Hope this helps.
Again, Great Article!
MIJohn is offline Find More Posts by MIJohn
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
65 Posts
Thank you for your sharing. as a beginner ,I hope my model can freely fly in the sky one day. your post is helpful.
teresa is offline Find More Posts by teresa
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:28 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Yeah, basic RC flying hint is don't fly it wherever you can't see it (too far off, behind something or in the sun). Of course you can try it by mistake anyway and get some basic fixing experience . Icky