HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 01:18 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fuzz
Anyway, I should have researched before buying, but hindsight is 20/20. I bought this one because it looked cool. The trainers didn't look like they would be much fun. I know better now, so no need to scold me on that one :P.
Not a problem, I bought a GWS ZERO as my very first RC Model and fortunately I had placed the propeller reversed and taxied and taxied and never could get off the ground....well, finally my RC Buddy convinced me to hang her up and I went out to get the GWS Pico J3 Piper to train on....

In a few minutes...I am going to post some neat GWS P-51D Mustang pictures ....painted in custom "RED BULL" paint job that TurboDriven did and sold it to my RC Flying Buddy.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2007, 01:34 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
The_Fuzz,

As you can clearly see from those pictures you really need complete concentration and 2nd nature reflexes to enjoy this faster RC Model "P-51D" with ailerons that can quickly get you into trouble.

Carlos
Old Jul 07, 2007, 01:53 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Guys . . .

Here are a few more specs from another site:
Specification:
1. Winspan: 870mm
2. Length: 737mm
3. Wingarea: 13.8dm2
4. Flying Weight: 405g
5. Wing loading: 25.7g/dm2
6. Battery: NI-MH 8.4v/600mah
7. Power system: LS-370 motor (1:5.3GEAR)
8. Propeller: 25.4x20.3cm
9. R/C system: 4 channel RC TX/RX and 3 mini servos and 1 electronic speed controller

So it is a 1:5.3 gear. I was a little concerned about the battery as well, but after reading these forums thought the low capacity wouldn't matter much anyway, because I probably wouldn't be flying this bird for real for quite some time. Then I could look at something better once I had it up and about.

As for my Heli skills. . . well, the havoc is quite simple, but I can control it very well. I have no problems with inverted controls when its coming at me, and I have learned how to control it with small movements instead of over steering all the time. I'm no pro, but I I'm pretty good with it now.

Anyway, I should have researched before buying, but hindsight is 20/20. I bought this one because it looked cool. The trainers didn't look like they would be much fun. I know better now, so no need to scold me on that one :P.

I still planning on trying to do short take offs and landings, just to see how it goes. I understand now the result could be not so pretty, but I still want to give it a try. Any tips on what will happen when it first takes off? I noticed in the trainer there is a bit of a pull to the left, I presume from prop tourque? Will I need to compensate for this, or should it not be an issue? And when landing, do I cut throttle, to what, one third or something then keep the nose up and let her come down? I haven't read may tips on this. Or do you keep power up and elevator down?

I know what your thinking . . this guy is gonna come back here and tell us the plane is broken . . . Anyway, it is scheduled for Thursday delivery, so I probably won't get to try out crashing until next weekend.

EDIT: Oh, and the field I am planning on using has a baseball diamond. . I thought that might be a good spot to take off, and land in the grass. It appears to be cut to a reasoanble level. Is this advisable?
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but if you try to fly that Mustang, you should just throw it in out now. There is a VERY low percentage that you will get a successful first flight with that Mustang. With no experience flying an airplane, the percentage goes down even more.

Also, is the field you're going to fly at big. You said there is a baseball diamond, so is the field just a baseball field? If so, you will need way more room to fly... especially if you plan on flying that Mustang.

Another thing, you said that trainers don't look like much fun. Well, that Mustang isn't going to be fun one bit if you try to fly it as your first plane. I'm just trying to warn you. And, if you take my advice and you go out and buy a high wing trainer plane, I GUARANTEE it will be MUCH more fun to fly than that Mustang.

So please, please, get a proper beginner plane first! I'm just trying to help you out. I don't want you to waste your money, either.

Well, what ever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jul 07, 2007, 01:59 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Another thing, you said that trainers don't look like much fun. Well, that Mustang isn't going to be fun one bit if you try to fly it as your first plane. I'm just trying to warn you. And, if you take my advice and you go out and buy a high wing trainer plane, I GUARANTEE it will be MUCH more fun to fly than that Mustang.

So please, please, get a proper beginner plane first! I'm just trying to help you out. I don't want you to waste your money, either.

Well, what ever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Bill
Oh, yeap I totally agree! Ever since my RC Flying Buddy bought his Hobby Zone Super Cub....I had to buy one myself....I own and fly large RC Glow models that I convert to Electric (The biggest is a Mid-West 80 3/4 inch wing span Citabria with a Hextronic's 41mm Outrunner Brushless and High Voltage Castle Creations 45 Amp ESC and the other is an early Great Planes J3 Cub version of 82 inch wing span) and let me tell you....I have just as much FUN with these high wing Trainers that you can imagine!
Old Jul 07, 2007, 02:04 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Hi guys . . just got back from the LHS. Bought myself a Hobbyzone Super Cub! This should be a bit better to learn on, eh? It was a great deal at $129, so I figure I'll learn on this. Thanks for the advice, and if you have anymore you can offer me on flying this totally-not-as-cool-looking as the P51 plane, I'd be happy to take it.

Oh, and some advice for dealing with the Wife, too. I think this will be the last time she goes away for a week and leaves me to my own devices!

Oh, the field is quite large, I think. here it is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=17&om=1

Oh, no one got back to me on taking off from the baseball diamond, and landing on the grass for my inital trials. Is it a good way to go?
The_Fuzz is offline Find More Posts by The_Fuzz
Old Jul 07, 2007, 02:11 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Yes, that park per the aerial is certainly large enough for the Super Cub by Hobby Zone and Congrats on the purchase as the price was super!

Remember to apply just a slight UP Elevator during your initial roll out for take-off either on that Baseball diamond or short grass field such to avoid nose over in case the main wheels catch a rock or stuborn rutt of weeds Once she starts rolling you can ease off a bit and be ready for FULL PULL UP of elevator to lift her off.

Best of luck!
Old Jul 07, 2007, 02:35 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys . . just got back from the LHS. Bought myself a Hobbyzone Super Cub! This should be a bit better to learn on, eh? It was a great deal at $129, so I figure I'll learn on this. Thanks for the advice, and if you have anymore you can offer me on flying this totally-not-as-cool-looking as the P51 plane, I'd be happy to take it.

Oh, and some advice for dealing with the Wife, too. I think this will be the last time she goes away for a week and leaves me to my own devices!

Oh, the field is quite large, I think. here it is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=17&om=1

Oh, no one got back to me on taking off from the baseball diamond, and landing on the grass for my inital trials. Is it a good way to go?
Congrats on your AWESOME purchase!

I know you will have A LOT of fun with your Super Cub!

Wow, 2,000th post!
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jul 07, 2007, 06:03 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Wooaaaaa! Super sweet! I had 3 great flights, and 2 good landings. The battery cut out, so my 3rd landing wasn't quite as graceful, but I did put her down wheel first, and it just twisted a bit. Bird is in great shape though!

Thanks all for the advice, about 30 seconds after I got it in the air I realized flying the P51 wouldn't have been pretty. I think I need to tell my co-worker to pick one of these up, he also ordered a similar plane, the spitfire.

Anyway, I think I caught on pretty quick, and my 3rd flight I had quite a good handle on it. Just charging up the battery, maybe I can get out again, Wife permitting! I think the P51 will stay land-locked for a few weeks. . .
Old Jul 07, 2007, 06:35 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Wooaaaaa! Super sweet! I had 3 great flights, and 2 good landings. The battery cut out, so my 3rd landing wasn't quite as graceful, but I did put her down wheel first, and it just twisted a bit. Bird is in great shape though!

Thanks all for the advice, about 30 seconds after I got it in the air I realized flying the P51 wouldn't have been pretty. I think I need to tell my co-worker to pick one of these up, he also ordered a similar plane, the spitfire.

Anyway, I think I caught on pretty quick, and my 3rd flight I had quite a good handle on it. Just charging up the battery, maybe I can get out again, Wife permitting! I think the P51 will stay land-locked for a few weeks. . .
Glad to learn that you had a wonderful time with the Super Cub and shelving the P-51D Mustang.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 09:59 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
What is standard procedure for batteries? Do you guys leave them dead, and charge them before flights, or leave them charged, and just top them up when you are ready to go out?
Old Jul 07, 2007, 10:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
What is standard procedure for batteries? Do you guys leave them dead, and charge them before flights, or leave them charged, and just top them up when you are ready to go out?

When I am done flying the Super Cub....I connect the battery to the field charger and charge as I drive home and once at home, I store it in my tool box. When I am going the next morning to the RC Field or whatever...I again connect the battery (top-off) to the field charger and charge as I drive to the field and once there.....it's ready to rock and roll.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 10:18 PM
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Jul 2007
1,116 Posts
Going up!

Groovy

Incoming!

Oh noes! Its ok, not nearly as bad as it looked. Not my "ideal" landing though. Still need to work on that.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 10:30 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Going up!

Groovy

Incoming!

Oh noes! Its ok, not nearly as bad as it looked. Not my "ideal" landing though. Still need to work on that.
Justin,

Allow me to post those wonderful pictures of your maiden flight on the Hobby Zone Super Cub......if that was the P-51D Mustang....it would have been in hundreds of pieces!!!!

Just keep her level and nice and easy cut the power and provide UP elevator (Just slightly so, you will not stall her) just enough to keep her level and she will sink downwards for a perfect landing.

I am going to write to Hobby Zone to see if they can integrate a Buddy Cord on these Transmitters such that an experienced RC Flyer can train the beginner....if they refuse then, they just want to sell you PARTS!

Okay, here are your pictures!
Old Jul 07, 2007, 10:47 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Justin,

Aerodynamic way of explaining the UP Elevator is you are increasing the angle of attack that the wing airfoil of the RC Model is trying to penetrate through the air thereby your "LIFT" producing properties of the airfoil is reduced....the more UP you give without increasing throttle the more angle of attach and thereby the less "LIFT" the airfoil produces and it will finally Stall. Each RC Model handles "STALL" differently and I have noticed that the Super Cub just mushes forward in a Stall (Assuming Level Forward Flight)...very friendly characteristics.

When you come in for a landing you are trying not to have the model increase air speed since you will overshoot the projected landing area and this is why it is very important to keep the model flying Level (wings level)...if you allow the model to pitch forward in Nose-First attitude then, you will gain a component of unwanted airspeed and you will certainly overshoot the projected landing area.

By keeping the model flying level and decreasing the Throttle while keeping the model flying level perhaps JUST A SLIGHT nose Attitude down such as not to Stall the model you will see how easy it is to land her as she will sink downwards without the excess airspeed built-up from a typical beginner RC flyer that allows the nose to drop too much.

Hope this helps you!