SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:08 AM
MicroFlyer
...at the computer...
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
anyway, what if my motor on the left got spoiled, can i put the right motor at the head of the plane, and adding more power to it, to lift the plane?

Zyber
zyberhell is offline Find More Posts by zyberhell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Thanks for the Tips

AEAJR, Thanks for the cyber-mentoring...you obviously have enough passion for the hobby to really grow it by helping with some great posts.

I just bought a HobbyZone SuperCub for my kids' Christmas. ..As in my 9 month old son and 2 year old daughter....as in (for ME). My wife almost made me take it back, but said it would be my birthday present (June). She says I have to wait until then to fly it, but being in MN Winter, probably won't be warm enough until then anyhow.

Reading these posts, I am glad I will have to wait. Undoubtedly would have crashed and burned day after Christmas if her disapproval hadn't tempered my enthusiasm.

Anyway, for the question: How's the Super Cub for a trainer? They guys at the LHS said it was the best, so I took back the HZ Firebird Freedom I originally purchased. I don't plan on joining a club or the AMA or buying a simulator, and plan on taking all of AEAJRs tips, doing the straight launch-and-landing about 20 times before I even try turning, etc. Is this unrealistic? Is it the wrong plane?

Thanks for anyone's help or experience on the SuperCub!
Reepicheep is offline Find More Posts by Reepicheep
Old Jan 08, 2007, 04:42 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
reepicheep

You got the right plane and you have the right plan! Good luck!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Thank you so much to aeajr and others for the beginners tips, without them I would have lost my plane, crashed or worse on my (yet to have) maiden flight.

I bought the Esky USB controller for FMS and I'm so glad I did. After following the advice to practise landings repeatedly, I discovered something really helpful to me for orientation (I was sick of banking the wrong way to turn).

I picked a wing and started focusing on that wing, moving the aileron stick one way makes that one wing go up, moving the stick the other way makes that one wing go down. I said aloud "wing up.... wing down" as I was doing this. It took a lot of concentration at first to follow the wing then after a few minutes it became instinctive (mostly). It didn't matter which way up my plane was, which way it was going or if I was climbing or diving: the same stick input was always wing up and wing down. Also, during moments where previously I wasn't sure which way up my plane was or if it was coming towards me or not (like losing it in the background for a second or two), I pretty much knew what my plane was doing.

With the confidence of control and being able to land (plus the judgement of when to abort a landing and try again), I added wind to the simulator. 5MPH, if my maths is correct, is about 2.23 m/s, so I put in 3m/s with gusts of 6 m/s. I thought that would be a gentle breeze, goodness me, was I in for a surprise! I couldn't get off the runway with the SU-26 and had to hand launch about 10 times before getting the plane into the air. Lesson learnt about the wind! I'd like to ask: what is it that causes the plane to barrel roll on its' own in the wind?

Because of the help, advice and links on this thread, I will not be flying the lovely Blue Arrow Flix 3D I own for a while (it's balsa wood). And probably not before seeking out my local club, it's a good job the servos were out of stock and I had to wait. I discovered Genebond's fat, flat and foamy p51 on Gary Gunnerson's site. I'm now going to be building a version of my own (thanks to the link to the build thread on elsewhere on this site that was with it).

With hindsight, I should have just bought the Esky USB simulator package and not gone on to spend a fair bit of money on kit I don't really need just yet and certainly without a clearer idea of what it was I wanted/needed. As it was, I had to return the TX package and swap it for the same TX with lighter RX and wait for the 5g servos, it's a 90 mile round trip to my not so LHS.

Anyways, thanks once again for this thread. I hope my post will help someone else.
this^way^up is offline Find More Posts by this^way^up
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
Huntsville, AL.
Joined Jan 2007
156 Posts
Good for you this way up.
Sound like you are really getting the practice stuff under control.

Bruce
Airhead9 is offline Find More Posts by Airhead9
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:32 AM
FlyBoy
Rockville, MD
Joined Jan 2007
3 Posts
Excellent tips Aeajr I just bought a Wing Dragon Sportster and had my first flight...no instructor. It flew well for about 10 min but when I attempted to land it crashed...still don't figure out the reason.

What do you suggest for a beginner on how to practice landing with out an instructor? (It's not that I don't want one...but it seems like where I live I can't find anyone who help me with landing and turns.)
bkayani is offline Find More Posts by bkayani
Old Jan 28, 2007, 07:15 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Teaching Someone To Fly - Tools and Techniques
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499281

Read this thread for tips on how I teach landing and other skills.
Old Feb 03, 2007, 11:18 AM
MADISON WI
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Wow

Just read this thread end to end. If this was a book I would be hard pressed
to put it down

Great advise
MSTORE is offline Find More Posts by MSTORE
Old Feb 04, 2007, 12:23 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Tips from the REALIST

After reading enough posts recently about folks having trouble, I think I can list some of these steps in order:

1. Don't take for granted that your helper/instructor is an expert. I've seen cases where they knew less about the small foam electric park flyers than I did back when I knew nothing.
1.1. How does someone know less than nothing? By making changes to a good plane that should be left as-is. One so-called expert helper (as stated by the beginner who posted at RCG) steered the guy miles off track, by trying to move his GWS Beaver battery to the nose. Here is a plane that has the battery mass centered over the CG, which is just about as ideal as it gets, and this "expert" was doing everything to make the plane NOT FLY.

2. Do not think of airplanes as cars. You're flying, not driving.
Get the idea of UP-DOWN and LEFT-RIGHT out of your head. Good flying is almost always a combination of rudder-elevator or aileron-elevator.
2.1 When I want to dismiss some clown at the park who wants to fly my planes, I simply ask them to explain the controls to me. They usually say something like, "I did this before with my uncle dood, just show me what one of them thingies is up and down, and what one is left and right, and I'll remember it again.
Answer: None of them are up and down, or left and right!
Reccomendation: Go to Wal Mart and get yourself one of them cheap $15 Nikko rc cars, dood. They're like really good for the money, man.

3. Don't overcontrol. Most beginners actually try too hard to fly their planes. If its flying correctly, you shouldn't have to do that much, other than a small, occasional stick movement, sometimes held for a short while, if you're turning. In a good sized field, you should never have to move a stick more than a few millimeters, to control the plane.
3.1 If the plane's flying like and you have to make wild stick movements/throws to keep control, its not you, its the plane that needs help. Probably just like the Beaver above. Mine is a hands off flyer, which really had me wondering when I saw that post.
You can't have warps, wing panels with different incidences/and/or washout, or left thrust. I've found these 3 factors to have more adverse effects than incorrect CG settings, unless the CG is really far off. Many planes like a bit of right thrust. Even if the thrust is dead straight, they'll do ok, but not when its to the left. Ask me how I know this?

4. The simulator is good for getting the stick directions straight in your mind. If your flying rud-elv, the rudder is not as critical in the sense that you can quickly stop, or reverse your motion, if its incorrect. Elevator is NOT the same thing. If you find youself constantly smakcing yourself across your head after crashes, like Chris Farley on the SNL "Chris Farley Show" skit, while pulling the stick down and beating it into yourself that this is "UP!, HOW COULD I BE SO STUPID!!, SMACK, UP!, SMACK, UP UP!!", then you need sim time.

5. Necessary Attitude Adjustments:
If you have a known good trainer plane, you need to get out of the habit of blaming the plane, if you do not have instantaneous gratification. In this case, you actually will want to reference #4 (above), and give yourself the Chris Farley Show treatement. This is necessary so that you will beat it into yourself that you need to learn more, and get pissed off less. I know, its not easy sometimes.

6. Last, but not least, set you elevator at neutral, or preferably even a bit down, for first flights, as some planes are real "climbers". Its much easier to constantly "pull an airplane up" for a while during the trim process, than it is to "hold an airplane down". For one, if it climbs to fast then you'll stall, which is the beginner equvalent to "I'm going to crash in 1 second and there ain't a dang thing I can do about it". Seems to be a general consensus among pilots too.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Last edited by scratchandbash; Feb 04, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 03:11 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Oct 2006
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reepicheep
Anyway, for the question: How's the Super Cub for a trainer? They guys at the LHS said it was the best, so I took back the HZ Firebird Freedom I originally purchased. I don't plan on joining a club or the AMA or buying a simulator, and plan on taking all of AEAJRs tips, doing the straight launch-and-landing about 20 times before I even try turning, etc. Is this unrealistic? Is it the wrong plane?
Reepicheep, you can easily use your Super Cub's transmitter and free FMS and crash few pixel planes before you fly your plane. It really helps, it's fun, and I think your plane will be safer

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...od#post5781740
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=498022&page=4
zeesl is offline Find More Posts by zeesl
Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:18 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
Understanding the Analyzer Numbers ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after reading thru the manual im really not much further in understanding how to choose the right prop for my plane. hers my set-up and numbers off my Medusa Power Analyzer.
set-up:
e-flight 450 890kv
ultrafly 25 amp ESC
TP 2100 li-po
prop 11.38 APC

numbers:
top left corner reads .6 WH
bottom left reads 160 watts
top right reads 11.7 volts
bottom right reads 14.5 amps
these readings were taken at WOT.
i understand that at 160 watts im below the 180 watt rating of the motor and at 14.5 amps im below the 25 amp operating range of the ESC, so what does this mean to me? other than meaning i wont burn up my motor and ESC, im at a loss..any help would be appreciated.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Mar 02, 2007, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2007
341 Posts
Yes, I'm brand new here, having just recently gone from Micro Mosquitos and PicooZ's to my very first plane, an Estes Sky Squadron Backyard Flyer.*

The single most important distinction aejr has given me is the counter-intuitive fact that I'm much safer if I'm flying high enough that there's room to recover from anything unexpected or unintentional.

Mike P's input also resonated loud and clear, due to my very earliest --and very recent-- learning experiences.

*It's wonderful that they're only twenty bucks at Radio Shack, 'cause I'm now on my third one, having lost the first while flying after dark, and having crashed the second, --also after dark-- and not located it until after a car had driven over it the poor thing.
flightsuit is offline Find More Posts by flightsuit
Old Mar 02, 2007, 12:56 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser
Understanding the Analyzer Numbers ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This one is about Six tips to success, not designing your own power systems.
Old Mar 02, 2007, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,773 Posts
The best radio control airplane type for beginners:

One of those cheap RC planes you find at Walmart or the toy store.

Why ?.

Because when you crash and auger in on your first flight, it's much easier on your foot bones to kick one of those cheap plastic transmitters across the field in disgust than it is with a better quality heavier one like a Futaba 9C.

If you insist on on getting a good quality plane and transmitter for your first flight then I recommend buying steel toe shoes.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 05, 2007, 08:03 PM
marcelo espiritu
Bay, Laguna, Philippines
Joined Jan 2007
10 Posts
I am a beginner from the Philippines. I sure wish I have an experienced pilot to guide me on my first flight. Been working on the simulator but it is still the best to have an experienced guy during maiden flights but we dont have guys like you here in my country. I have to totally rely on the simulator for my flying skills.
Thanks for the details tips anyway.
mjespiritu is offline Find More Posts by mjespiritu