Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 03, 2005, 11:52 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
DL50 build thread!

well, since nobody has done a mountain models DL50 build thread i decided its time to make one. the DL50 is from www.mountainmodels.com and is said to be a cheap, fun, and durable DLG- i ordered my DL50 on tuesday (3/29) night and was notified it had been sent on wednesday (3/30). it arrived in san diego and was less than 5 feet from my mailbox yesturday (4/2), only 3 days later. unfortunetly, the mailman was too lazy to bring it to my front door and left me a notice saying i wasnt home and that i need to go pick it up on monday.

i will be using the following setup:

rx:berg microstamp
servos: 2 hs-55's
batt: 4 cell 370mah nimh

some items which will be needed in making the DL50 include:

miniwax water based polycrylic
30 and 5 minuet epoxy
sanding block
thin CA
and tools needed to make any model
waxpaper is also neede but i havnt gotten it yet, will run out to local supermarket and fetch some tommorow.
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:19 AM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Jun 2004
241 Posts
Flyinazn10,

Good luck on your build. Looks like a good start. I really enjoyed building this type of plane. I have mostly done balsa built planes in the past so this was a great eyeopening experience.

Doug
dborros is offline Find More Posts by dborros
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
ok and here we go! starting off with the box contents and i was surprised (like everyone else) how thin the airfoil is.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:45 PM
Joined Mar 2005
19 Posts
Waiting for my DL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinazn10
ok and here we go! starting off with the box contents and i was surprised (like everyone else) how thin the airfoil is.
Waiting for my DL50..Your posts will almost be like a guide bookhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newreply.
applejack1 is offline Find More Posts by applejack1
Old Apr 04, 2005, 02:11 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
ok i first cut the trailing edge as per instructions-6.25" at the root chord and 4.75" at the tip. i found it easiest to put the area which your cutting off at the edge a table, then cut through. after that i shaped the one wing, and made the other one as similar as i could.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 03:34 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
next i install the spars. a very easy step first i fit the spar and cut to neccessary length. then pour epoxy into slot, and slode the spar into the slot while twisting it spread the epoxy. then put weights of the spar and wait until dry. i used 30 min epoxy rather than 5 to make sure i do a good job and not feel rushed.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 03:39 PM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
So far so good. Those nicks on the TE will go away once you apply the glass.
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Apr 04, 2005, 03:44 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
next i get ready to cover the wings. although the instructions say to glue them together and put cf on them, i was told by matt that this way is easier and i should take this route. now 1st i cut the wingbeds into 3 pieces to hold the wings as i cover it. i put the 3/4 fiberglass over the wing and appy miniwax right?
Old Apr 04, 2005, 03:45 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
i found the fiberglass to be in an odd shape and i needed to put off a little less thn 1.5ft of it to get the right size
Old Apr 04, 2005, 05:50 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
covering the wing was easier than i thought. i brused the miniwax on and set it down on the bed. MAKE SURE TO HAVE WAXPAPER ON THE BED. after 1-2 hours i checked the wing and it seemed to look very nice. there were a few bubbles which were erased with a few strokes of the foam brush. now, to repeat the procedure on the other side!
Old Apr 04, 2005, 07:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
while waiting for the miniwax to set, i decided to start on the fuse. the fuse assembly is very simple and easy.the only pissible way to make a mistake here would be to put the fuse doublers on the wrong side. the interlocking parts make it idiot-proof.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 08:37 PM
The Evil Twin
Garden City, GA
Joined Feb 2004
1,308 Posts
Remember to flow some thin CA into the threads that you cut with the self tapping screw and then thread it again. You're doing great!
M
Matthew Binder is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Binder
Old Apr 04, 2005, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
will do! i was shaping the nsoe and i tihnk i might have goofed. well, its not on there too strong, i can pull it off and re-do or something. anyway, pictures say a thousand words so ill let them explain. mainly what im wondering is, is the nosepiece too short?
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:33 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
nothing to say on the nose? well i wasa about to start the tail assembly when i realized, im out of CA! so im stuck at where im at for now, but im happy with the progress i made. im a little scared of the end AUW because i tihnk i went a little overboard on the miniwax
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:49 PM
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
question on the glassing of the wing.
you took the beds and cut them into 3 sections? why 3 sections? so you are glassing each half of the wing separately? are you completely folding over the glass. . . if there are more details on this i would appreciate some of the finer points.

also, did you apply the minwax to the fiber glass on some other flat surface, then peel it up and transfer it to the wing core? i am visualizing all my mess ups as you progress with the build
thanks in advanced for the info,
neal

who said there would be no practical use for an algebra book
fleanme is offline Find More Posts by fleanme
Last edited by fleanme; Apr 04, 2005 at 11:52 PM. Reason: bad attempt at whitty comment