HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2005, 11:32 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Which is better? Mini Piper, Cessna, Cub, Beaver

I am looking for a new kit that I would like to start building in a month or so. I am thinking about a high wing plane such as the ones listed above. I am curious which you think is the best of the four listed. I know that several people are making these kits and would also like to hear which kit you like the best. I don't care if it is a balsa or foam kit. Thanks.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2005, 12:17 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
the graupner mini piper is an excellent small field plane....goes together easy and is a nice looking model...
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Apr 03, 2005, 02:53 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
There is one vote for the mini piper! I have read good things about the mini piper. Anyone else prefer the piper over these other choices?
Daddy-O
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:18 PM
Electric Flyer
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2003
430 Posts
If you want a nice, easy, and slow flying parkflyer, that looks and flys like the real thing, go get yourself a GWS Beaver and forget the piper. I had the mini-piper, which was fun, but nothing like that beaver. For $35 it comes with engine and prop. Just put in a 2s1p Lipo and fly for a half hour or more.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCK9&P=7

Dick

If on the other hand you want something faster, then get the GWS E-Starter.
rms59 is offline Find More Posts by rms59
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:38 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
You know, I have never really looked into the e-starter, but I know it is highly recommended as an aileron trainer. Is the Beaver pretty stable in winds also? I like the long flying times that you mentioned (30 minutes). That's a great price for a good plane with the motor and prop. One vote for the piper and one for the Beaver so far. Anyone else have any experiences (good or bad) with any of these, or recommendations?
Daddy-O
Old Apr 03, 2005, 05:08 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
If you don't care about ailerons but want an excellent flying scale model -the GWS Beaver cannot be beat.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Apr 03, 2005, 05:17 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
What is your flying skill level?

For those moving on from the starter planes, consider the MM Dandy Sport. The regular Dandy is a 3 channel high wing plane with a very stable polyhedral wing. The Dandy Sport is a high wing aileron trainer with sufficient dihedral to be an easy flyer.

Both planes are easy builds (balsa, but a foam wing is avail for the Sport). Mountain Models kits are all of high quality and proven good flyers. The stock setups (brushed 350/350 with a GWS GB) give good performance, but adding a BL will really make flying fun, especially for basic aerobatics.

Do a search for these planes.....lots of supporters.

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Apr 03, 2005, 05:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
if you get a piper..you must get its C.G correct..once thats done..you will have 1 beautiful flyer...put a brushless in her..and she will fly in winds 15 mph or more..its also nice to be able to put the whole plane in the front seat of a car..with no room issues..its wingspan is under 30" which makes it convenient for transporting..I personally think the battery pack hobby lobby recommneds is a bit underpowered though..for stk setup of this plane..they recommned a 6 cell pack..many have went to 7 or 8 cell..with much better performance...I had 2 pipers..the 1st one I destroyed..because I didnt have it setup right..and I was trying to fly in a windy area..with the stk battery/prop suggestions from hobby lobby...my 2nd piper..is brushless with 8x6 h.d prop and 8 cell nimh..its my favorite flyer..
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Apr 03, 2005, 09:04 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I don't really care about ailerons on this one. I already have the Dandy and the Dandy Sport. I agree with Jerry on the Mountain Models kits (excellent quality and service). I also have, I think, 5 different wings, several fff planes, an IFO and my old Slow Stick that I learned on that is now my AP rig. I have a new bipe coming in just a couple of days and I would like an excellent flying, high wing plane. After this, I think I would like to get a good aerobatic plane and start learning do fly 3D (I'm looking at the Mini 3D from SloFly or the Panic from Mountain Models). The Beaver and the Piper are both sounding pretty good at this point. I appreciate the help. I am only going to get one of them though. there are several other kits I would like to get in the future also, but I think this one will be my next one. I appreciate all of the help. Anyone else have a favorite?
Daddy-O
Old Apr 03, 2005, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
well I can tell you that my piper..even with brushless is definitely not an acrobatic flyer..will loop beutifully and do a lazy slow barrel roll..inverted flight with it is possible,...but you have to fight it to keep it that way for any length of time..its aslo made out of a foam that is not particulallry strong..when compared to other type foam planes..the nose section is the most vulnenrable...but I tape uop the whole plane wit h 3m clear packing tape ..i relize it adds weight..but protects it quite well..those are the negatives..the [psoitives are..very small and easy to transport..quite a good glider considering its small wingspan..the wing is very strong,,in fatc its the strongest part of the plane..and doesnt need any reinfofrcing at all..and it can be modified to have aierlons if you choose at a later date...
Old Apr 03, 2005, 09:32 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Sounds like you have a winner rumme. I re-read my post and would like to clarify something. I am not looking for a 3D plane now. I am looking for one of the ones listed above and will probably purchase a 3D plane a couple of months after the piper, cub, beaver, whatever. Of course, I would also love to have a mig 15, one of the MM Magpie AP planes, a F4U Corsair, a Focke Wulf, etc. There are too many planes and not enough money. My wife sometimes reminds me that I can only fly one at a time. I forgot to mention that I also have a couple of Weasels also (I knew I forgot something).
Daddy-O
Old Apr 03, 2005, 10:56 PM
Joined Jun 2004
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumme
well I can tell you that my piper..even with brushless is definitely not an acrobatic flyer..will loop beutifully and do a lazy slow barrel roll..inverted flight with it is possible,...but you have to fight it to keep it that way for any length of time..its aslo made out of a foam that is not particulallry strong..when compared to other type foam planes..the nose section is the most vulnenrable...but I tape uop the whole plane wit h 3m clear packing tape ..i relize it adds weight..but protects it quite well..those are the negatives..the [psoitives are..very small and easy to transport..quite a good glider considering its small wingspan..the wing is very strong,,in fatc its the strongest part of the plane..and doesnt need any reinfofrcing at all..and it can be modified to have aierlons if you choose at a later date...

Rumme,

What bl motor, battery and prop are you using? My son's Mini Piper is getting a little heavy from all the epoxy and would probably fly better with a BL setup.

Agree with you, great to have a plane small enough to take anywhere.

Jerry
DoctorFive is offline Find More Posts by DoctorFive
Old Apr 03, 2005, 11:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
himax 2812-1080 with phoenix 25..and 8x6 h.d prop..8cell 1650 nimh pack..scoots along beautifully..right now im searchin to see if there are better out runner combos..for about the same price as the himaxes that give better performance..
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:08 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
250 Posts
If you are looking for a balsa build, the Cessna 180 available over at the Mountain Models site is a sweet little flyer and good looking. I put a LensRC 17t brushless, CC Phoenix 10, and 2 cell 830 lipoly battery in mine. The landing gear is a bit tender and it is so light that it does not take that much wind, but the brushless power can get you out of a bind sometimes. It slows down and floats like a GWS Tiger Moth if you are looking for something relaxing to fly. A 3 channel bird although some have modified it for A/T/R/E. I would not suggest it for your first balsa build, although having said that the manual is straightforward and help is available here and through the nice people at Mountain Models. If you have built a Dandy this would not be that much more difficult.
Movie Guy is online now Find More Posts by Movie Guy
Last edited by Movie Guy; Apr 04, 2005 at 09:48 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 05:24 PM
Cape Cod, MA
Joined Mar 2005
54 Posts
The Mini Piper is not a great first rc trainer. In fact it is poor as a trainer. Poor in any kind or wind, poor rudder control when pitched up for landing flair.The big positives are ease of consturction and low price at hobby lobby.... 29 bucks
naval_aviator is offline Find More Posts by naval_aviator