HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2005, 07:36 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Great Planes 4 port lipoly charger

This looks promissing. I wish it did more cells and more current, but I'm still going to have to have one of them
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKAU0&P=7
KatManDEW is offline Find More Posts by KatManDEW
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2005, 07:47 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Neato ,four banger at up to 3A. OK is that 3 A rate for each as 12 amps total or 3A divided by 4 equals any combination adding up tp but not exceeding 3A charge rate?
Late April. All new products are due out in April.
My Astro flight 109 does up to 9Amps at once so I have no problems parallel charging 5 each 1200 mAh 3S packs , which total 6 Ah.. I could add a couple more but 5 at once is enough for me. Everyone says charging Li Polys is slow I sayw charge more at once ,its seems faster.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 03, 2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 09:24 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
They don't say if it's 3 amps shared between the four ports. Here's the Great Planes info;
http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3015.html
Old Apr 03, 2005, 09:33 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatManDEW
They don't say if it's 3 amps shared between the four ports. Here's the Great Planes info;
http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3015.html
Yes ,I read that befor commenting. They most always make rating sound the best such as up to x number cells and up to x amps. but fail to list what maximum watts are. What if motors were rated up to 15 volts, up to 12 amps, up to 12X6 prop. .. Up to 110 watts has a lot more meaning,to me.

Charles
Old Apr 03, 2005, 10:28 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,809 Posts
I found this info about the charger. It seems to indicate that it's up to 3 amps per each output. Charles, this was on the site you linked.

"Specs for Each Output:

Battery Type: 1-4 lithium-polymer cells ONLY (3.7-14.8V)
Charge Control: Push-button
Charge Termination: "Constant current/ constant voltage"
Battery Capacity Range: 300 - 3000mAh
Fast Charge Current: 300mA - 3.0A
Status Indicators: Tri-colored LED and audible buzzer
Output Connectors: Banana jacks
Safety Timer: 3 Hours maximum charge time"

Dave Chewning Sr.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Apr 03, 2005, 10:51 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
I found this info about the charger. It seems to indicate that it's up to 3 amps per each output. Charles, this was on the site you linked.

"Specs for Each Output:

Battery Type: 1-4 lithium-polymer cells ONLY (3.7-14.8V)
Charge Control: Push-button
Charge Termination: "Constant current/ constant voltage"
Battery Capacity Range: 300 - 3000mAh
Fast Charge Current: 300mA - 3.0A
Status Indicators: Tri-colored LED and audible buzzer
Output Connectors: Banana jacks
Safety Timer: 3 Hours maximum charge time"

Dave Chewning Sr.

Correct ,yes I read that but,
The Triton says 1-24 cells and 5Amps. however it will only charge at 5A if the voltage is between 8 volts and 18 volts. Lower or higher volt packs get charged at reduced rate.
Many charger with multi out put for charging more than one pack at a time share a comom power supply which means up to 3 amps available for one battery or two or more.
The Devil is in the details.

Charles
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:18 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
I wonder if the outputs are isolated so you can charge 4S thru taps at the same time?

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Last edited by Larry3215; Apr 04, 2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 09:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3215
I wonder if the outputs are isolated so you can charge 4S thru taps at the same time?

Larry
Well if they are and each can do 3 amps for a total output of 12 amps. and they add LCD displays then they have just cornered the Li Poly charger market.

Charles
Old Apr 04, 2005, 10:00 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
The electrifly web site shows the 300 ma to 3 amps under "specifications for each channel", which means that it is the rating for each channel, although there could be a max current for all channels that is lower than the 12 amps total if all channels were charging at 3 amps.

Larry, I would be willing to bet that the 4 channels are not isolated, especially on a $109.00 charger.

One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't seem to have any way for the user to select the cell count. The charger automatically detects the number of cells. I don't know if it has any way of letting you know what cell count it has decided on.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Apr 04, 2005, 10:15 AM
FASST flyer
USA, OH, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
3,563 Posts
Good point about whether it tells you how many cells it has detected/selected. Also gotta wonder if it's 12 amps max or 3.....
Old Apr 04, 2005, 10:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
The electrifly web site shows the 300 ma to 3 amps under "specifications for each channel", which means that it is the rating for each channel, although there could be a max current for all channels that is lower than the 12 amps total if all channels were charging at 3 amps.

Larry, I would be willing to bet that the 4 channels are not isolated, especially on a $109.00 charger.

One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't seem to have any way for the user to select the cell count. The charger automatically detects the number of cells. I don't know if it has any way of letting you know what cell count it has decided on.

Dan
Well I have read many of the horror stories of mised cell counts with chargers and ESC however I have never rxperienced one. I have tried to trick my AF109,my 2 Apache 2500s,my TP425,my,2 Tritons , 3 of my Castle Creation ESC which are set to auto cell count,my Li - Saver and another similiar device made by someone very close to you. My experiences are limited to 1-3 cell Li Poly batteries and I check voltage of batteries either befor or right after connecting to a charger. When flying I lesson for the chirps,watch for flashes etc. which indicates all is well. I still contend the best available safety device is located between one's ears.

Charles
Old Apr 04, 2005, 10:45 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Well if they are and each can do 3 amps for a total output of 12 amps. and they add LCD displays then they have just cornered the Li Poly charger market.

Charles

I agree - if you could manually select cell counts or at least confirm the auto detect I would feel more secure. Regarding the LCD, you wouldn't even need each channel to have its own necessarily. One display with a switch to select which channel you want displayed would probably be enough and help to keep the cost down.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:08 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
I agree - if you could manually select cell counts or at least confirm the auto detect I would feel more secure. Regarding the LCD, you wouldn't even need each channel to have its own necessarily. One display with a switch to select which channel you want displayed would probably be enough and help to keep the cost down.

Very true and even less expensive would be to provide connection points for DVM probes with a switch and shunt so that you could plug in your existing DVM and read volts or mAh just by moving a switch. My TEKIN BC 100 L charger has those feactures and is an antique. It also has choice of constant or pulsed charge.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 04, 2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:20 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Could you use a wattmeter the same way?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:30 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
Could you use a wattmeter the same way?
You could use a Watt Meter in line with one of the chargers out put and one of the batteris to check,volts,mAh into battery and charge rate.

Charles