Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2002, 05:16 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
El Bandito

Moving along on the El Bandito. This weekend I shot a portion of the color, the main fuselage section has 3 coats on it and is ready to go, the rest have less or none...

The paint is two part acrylic enamel automotive paint. First time I've used an airbrush in years and the first time I have used this paint. I must say it is coming out great. This afternoon I sanded out the main section with 1500 grit paper and buffed the gloss back with fine cut rubbing compound - first time I've done that too . This is the best paint job I've ever done - by far...

Fan arrives next week so it won't be long.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Last edited by Chris True; Mar 31, 2002 at 05:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2002, 05:24 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Beautiful Chris. I've used that very technique on spray can applications with the
similar results. Beautiful Job!
Steve
Old Mar 31, 2002, 07:00 PM
BruceJ34
n/a Posts
bandito

I'm jealous.......nice job
Bruce
Old Mar 31, 2002, 07:35 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
El Badito

Chris, that is a very pretty paint job. You really did a nice job color sanding and buffing too. Can you tell my what brand paint you used? And did you use a two part primer as well? Did you have to thin the paint for your airbrush or could you shoot it straight.
Very pretty.
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Mar 31, 2002, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Re: El Badito

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE ELSTON
Chris, that is a very pretty paint job. You really did a nice job color sanding and buffing too. Can you tell my what brand paint you used? And did you use a two part primer as well? Did you have to thin the paint for your airbrush or could you shoot it straight.
Very pretty.
Thanks Joe
The picture is before sanding and buffing - it looks better now.

The paint is from the NAPA autoparts store, made by Martin-Senour paint company. The can has both a NAPA logo and the Martin-Senour name on it. You must thin the paint to spray, the data sheet said 8 parts paint, 4 parts reducer, 1 part hardener so that's how mixed it. I have a gram scale good to 200 grams so I throw a paper party nut container on the scale with a napkin underneath - tare the scale then pour in 40g's paint, 20g's reducer and 5 g's hardener. That batch fills 3 3/4 ounce jars.

The El Bandito is primed out of the mold. The only priming I needed to do was around the intake lips and where I filled the join line between the nose con and the rest of the main fuse. I also sanded the seam so I shot a little primer on that too. The primer I used was just regular 1 part automotive grey spray can primer then I sanded the entire fuse with 320 grit to give some tooth to the primer it came with.

The paint is actually pretty cheap - between 7 and 12 dollars a pint depending on which color. They do not do color matching so you need to thumb through the auto catalog with hundreds of chips to find one you like. The reducer is reasonable @ less than 5 bucks a quart. Where they get you is the hardener which is 25 bucks a can + the mask you need to wear which is another 30 or so. The hardener is good for at least a gallon of paint though, hope it doesn't expire because it'll take me a decade to use it....
Old Apr 01, 2002, 01:39 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Chris, she looks Super! I can't wait for the flight report on her.
BTW, Keep that mask in a sealed baggie or buy a new one each time you spray with this hardener. It'll make you wish you were dead if the paint gets into your system!

Greg Gallegos
9 years of autobody and paint experiance
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Apr 01, 2002, 07:28 AM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
Thanks for the tip Greg.

When I bought the paint at the NAPA dealer I asked about safety, masks etc. The guy said "Oh no, all that harmful stuff is off the market, you don't need a mask with this"!! Of course I read the directions on the can of hardener after I left and they made it pretty clear you DO need a mask. In fact they would prefer it to be a pressure fed remote air supply mask. I went back, bought the mask and told the counter guy he really ought the read the directions .

I'm not a big fan of excessive government protection of us from ourselves but I guess there are a lot of stupid people out there so maybe it isn't such a bad idea .
Old Apr 01, 2002, 04:13 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
El Bandito

Chris, what power system are you using in your new jet. And what type of cells and how many?
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old Apr 01, 2002, 04:58 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris True
...Of course I read the directions on the can of hardener after I left and they made it pretty clear you DO need a mask. In fact they would prefer it to be a pressure fed remote air supply mask...
Very nice Chris! But I think I'll stay away from this deadly stuff for a while & stick to my tamiya propyl-alcohol diluted acrylics...

I am still curious as why it is two component, it must be a fast drying type. Generally I was under the impression that epoxy finishing resins were two-components (but spray types are single component), while acrylics are one-component...

That el bambino sure looks fast...
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Last edited by Herb; Apr 01, 2002 at 05:12 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2002, 06:35 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
I dunno, I'm not a chemist. It is a very durable paint though, chip resistant and nitro resistant. It doesn't dry all that fast, tack free in about 45 minutes, tape free in 6 hours and compoundable in 24 hours. One part lacquers are about the same, one part enamels slower.

Power wise the fan will be a DS-51 carbon which should arrive Wed. or Thurs. I have a couple possibilities for motors, Mega 22/30/3 on 20-22 CP-1700's or a Hacker B50-13L on 16 2400's. The Mega is in my possetion, the hacker is off for dyno testing. I'll install the fan and finish up the airframe then if the Hacker is back by then I'll probably use that.
Old Apr 01, 2002, 08:30 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
Chris, I'm contemplating a new midi project , think a Mega 22/30/3 and 16-18 cells would be good ?

your last column showed excellent RPM at 16V

BTW, I like the leading edge detail
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Apr 01, 2002, 09:21 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
That was the 22/30/2 in the 609. The 2 wind would work wih 14-16 cells, for the 22/30/3 I think 18 1700's would be minimum. Kevin runs 22 2400's in his F-15 with a 1412/2Y which is a roughly equivalent motor.
Old Apr 01, 2002, 09:32 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,018 Posts
Hi everyone, I am loking into getting my first EDF and I was wondering were I could check out the el bandito. Web site or ph.#
thanks Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Apr 01, 2002, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 1996
8,303 Posts
www.rd-jets.de

The website is in German only at the moment, English is coming. Send Ralf an e-mail through the website, he speaks and writes German, English and I beleive, French. He is in the US at the moment on a training flight (he is a German airforce pilot) so it may be a few days before he responds.
Old Apr 02, 2002, 12:11 AM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,018 Posts
Thanks Cris for the quick reply.
Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF