SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2002, 01:32 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,508 Posts
Ooops? Well, maybe not...

Because of high winds I decided not to fly yesterday. Since the forecast was more of the same I decided to dump my packs. In the midst of dumping my 8x1500 pack of Sanyos, I forgot to remember to pay attention to my voltmeter.

The next time I looked the VM was reading 0.56 V, both bulbs totally out, the pack was just slightly warm.

This morning the weather was flyable so I peaked charged all my packs in the normal manner. At the field the 8x1500 seemed to be just fine, delivering the normal 6~7 minute run time in my Twin Star.

While I don't recommend this type of dumping it apparently did not harm this pack of Sanyos.

Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:25 PM
Too young to be a senior.
USA
Joined Apr 2001
288 Posts
Same thing happend to me once, the batt pack still seemed fine though.
-pc
planecrash is offline Find More Posts by planecrash
Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:35 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
Assuming those were NiCd, storing the batteries individually shorted is a standard technique for R/C car racers. They sometimes build packs with a resistor from the + to - of each cell.
Keeping the entire pack shorted can lead to reversal of the weakest cell, but a deep discharge should not hurt a good pack.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:49 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
My flying buddy Kev always discharges his flight packs down to zero after each flight and stores all of his battery packs shorted out. It requires a consistent regime to avoid an accident when the connectors on a non-discharged pack might be accidentally plugged together. Kev was a car racer as well before taking up electric flight.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 31, 2002, 03:11 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I know a competitive sailplane pilot that does the same thing..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W