SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:22 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Discussion
“ST” AP Free Build Guide, Plans, and Video!

Hi,
This is new to some of you. For others who haunt these corridors here at Ezone, you have heard me go on about the ST, why its better than anything else I’ve tried or seen, how its safe, light, stable, inexpensive, tough, can go so slow its almost hovering, yet quick and agile, has many options for mounting cameras on the wing and the fuselage, can be hand launched and hand caught, can carry up to 1lb., broken down to fit in the trunk, etc. And just a great flyer! Sorry to those who have heard me go on about it. Hard not to brag about your child! So its time to share with you why it’s such a great plane and to thank you for putting up with me, before it goes on the new website. I did have a few pictures posted on this site with some basics on how to build it, but never posted plans or some of the little “things” that separate it from a few knock offs that have popped up here and there. Build one and prove it to yourself, or just to shut me up! I just learned CAD, so I’ll update anything you find lacking in the plans. The Build Guide is detailed with lots of pictures and makes it easy to build the first time. So, please have at it and hope you enjoy flying and taking pictures/video with it as much as I do! For a short while, I will make available the plans and build guide. I just ask that you do not use them for commercial purposes or duplicate and reproduce them. They are for your use only, so go have fun!

Videos of it in action: www.tornlogic.com/avov/STVID.wmv
Another- www.tornlogic.com/avov/Slo1.wmv
Another- http://www.tornlogic.com/avov/PFMaster1.wmv
Video of 62" version w/Hacker A30- http://www.tornlogic.com/avov/st62.wmv

And check out it’s little brother, the “STC”, that just hit the airwaves over at
“Foamies” - www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237

Enjoy and Happy flyin’,
WaterDog
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Feb 15, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:39 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures that I forgot to add....
Old Apr 02, 2005, 10:36 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
WaterDog,

I am decidely one of those to whom this thread is GOOD NEWS!

Posting this thread and the links to the pdf files has saved us both a lot of email time! As I said in our off-forum conversation, I know that I'll need more than one type of AP ship and your ST is exactly what I was looking for. I see it as the perfect compliment to my ZNAP ship.

I'm going to by-pass my my usual method of operation and *intentionally* go SLOW with both builds. Not going to be satisfied with "making-do" this time, I'll make sure I know what it is I need to get it right, and suffer through the waiting for parts delivery. No LHS is a problem I have, I get most of what I need on the 'Net.

So, neither build will be a fast one, but the results of both should worth the extra time I'll take.

Not sure if I'll do the standard "build thread" on the Forums, or just post links to my "under construction" web site. (No content on it yet, I'll post a link when there is.)

But I wanted to publicly thank you for deciding to post the information on your design and for sharing that design with us!

So, THANK YOU, Sir!

Mike S.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Apr 02, 2005, 07:11 PM
RCAPA #299
Joined Sep 2004
320 Posts
Hey Water....Thanks for the plans and build guide. Ive been wanting to make one since i first seen your original ST.You may just have slowed the sale of GWS slowsticks!!

JG
jg4660 is offline Find More Posts by jg4660
Old Apr 02, 2005, 07:21 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Roger that, JG!

Now, I guess I get to be the first to bug the designer by asking about deviating from his design.

No, nothing radical. . . I'm currently a little overwhelmed with "information input overload," this started when I first began looking into building a AP ship. I was wondering about power options. Different brands of motors, that sort of thing. Maybe a geared brushless?

Well, maybe just one "radical" question. . .

What would you think about a slightly different wing, like a Jedelsky?

Mike S. <ducking as he ask!>
Old Apr 02, 2005, 07:22 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Yes, I know.

Something *is* wrong with me!

Mike S.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 09:27 PM
Slope Seeker
Tollhouse, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
433 Posts
WaterDog,

Any chance of getting the plans in fullsize "un-tiled" versions?

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline Find More Posts by Scrambleon
Old Apr 03, 2005, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2005
332 Posts
Thanks for making the plans available... I've been looking forward to building one of these. When I get mine done I'll post my pics. A mod that would be good would be to have a camera mount similar to the Magpie AP.
manatee is offline Find More Posts by manatee
Old Apr 03, 2005, 09:12 AM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
The camera mount I want to use has something of a double frame. The inner frame tilts to point the camera from straight out, to straight down. The outer frame is attached to the horizontal surface of the fuse, and actually hangs on a single point, so it litterally "swings like a pendulum.

This keeps the camera level even when the model is flying nose-high or nose-down, (within a reasonable limit of travel.) A little friction would keep the camera from swinging too much.

There is a thread around here somewhere that shows this done on a Slow Stick.

Mike S.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 10:20 AM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
I'm not familliar with the Razor 400 and the on-line shop I like to stick with (when I can,) doesn't have any info on it. So, I was wondering if the combo I did find would work for the ST?

Himax 2025 4200 with a Himax gearbox 5.33 gearing, CC 25 amp SC, with maybe a 11X4.7 prop.

Mike S.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 12:02 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
No, thank you!

Mad Mike, JG, Manatee, You are very welcome! But thank you for wanting to build one! Mike; Jedelsky?! Now , lets keep this simple my engineering friend. Re-download the plans as I have made some more additions, one being wing incidence markings. Notice they will give a +1 degree to 0 degree incidence, however I will sometimes fly with a -1 degree placement. I leave it to you which you like best based on the load you are haulin' and powerplant used. Jg; I sure hope so! Besides, it has to be built and flown to become popular!
Scrambleon; You wish has been answered, check the post again for a link to a one page.

Oh, and Mike that power plant will work fine, might want try a D gear 6:6.1 with a 12 inch. if that doesn't cut it for you. More thrust with amps but you'll use less throttle, balances out.
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 09, 2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 12:21 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
The medication has kicked in and I've totally forgotten about that airfoil question.

More or less. . . For now, anyway!

I did mention I was suffering from IOS (Information Overload Syndrome,) didn't I? At one point, I recalled I *DO* have MotoCalc on my computer and it did supply me with about the same info you just did on the power plant question I so hastely asked.

I re-checked my favorite on-line shop, All e RC and discovered good ol' Dave has both your listed motor/gbx combo and the one I asked about!

"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!"

Mike S.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 12:27 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Oh yes,

I hear our Asian friend is going to release a 24 ft. wingspan LPF (Large Park Flier,) with 6 EPS400 geared motors on each wing.

Going to be calling it "Pink Freud," or the "Sick Sigmond," or something like that.

Mike S.
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:03 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Mike, make a 26 foot (gotta be bigger) ST! Hang a huge camera with nightvision off it and call it the "RedEye"!
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:46 PM
geoffbeneze
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Flatulence).
Closed Thread