SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2005, 07:39 AM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
Micro glider build-off!! 2 day!!

It 6AM...I have a group weekend project.

It started as an idea to thank a guy I work with for the virtual gift of a couple planes. He flies gliders, and I got to thinking it would be cool to have 'work' gliders. And since 2 channel actuators is really all you need for a handlaunch, or catapult launch , why not use Bitgear?

Here's the rules...feel free to make suggestions for ammendments, or to request special provisions.

1. use bitgear, no 'sissy' RFFS or JMP combos proportional shenannigans.

EDIT: Use whatever you want, no restrictions. Have fun.

2. use stuff that is reasonably cheap. No exotic carbon fiber teradactyls.
3. any combination of R/E or A/E, or even R/A/E if you want to attempt it. NO MOTORS.
4. minimum of 5 flights, timed and averaged. Estimates of altitude. No 'one-mississippi-two-mississippi', use a watch or timer.
a. No weight or size restrictions, any power source.
b. Final score will be tallied by 75% duration, and 25% of score based on group poll. that way if its close we can all vote our favorite.
5. share your build with the rest of us and have fun.
6. gotta be completed (this is negotiable.)

1st place gets a 13.5" Raven from the OVDP plan and 1000' of 48AWG magnet wire.

2nd place gets 1000' of 48AWG wire and M20/4:1 gearbox.

3rd place gets a M20 motor and capacitor, and the gear set kit.

If anyone else wants to donate stuff, maybe we can all win something cool from someone elses stash.

I am hoping we can get some cool and unusual designs. I would really like to have lots of discussion on design and materials. I intend to build what ever design comes out best for my friend at work.

Here's why I want to get a good design for him. And the glider had gear already in it. Wow.

The Wookie just helps eat parts that hit the floor, or look like they might.\

Edit: hope that suits you all.
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Last edited by watersharer; Apr 03, 2005 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:07 AM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,885 Posts
Bit gear is not suitable for gliders. With a glider you want to hook a thermal to get good duration. However the range of Bit RC is not sufficient for this and the risk of loosing the model is high.

Just my IO cents worth

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
Old Apr 02, 2005, 08:59 AM
Joined Mar 2005
21 Posts
I've been playing with paper gliders like these http://nmwg.cap.gov/santafe/Activities/index.html and am looking at how to R/C them, but won't have any time this weekend as it's time to get the ballpark ready for the upcoming season.
BartMan is offline Find More Posts by BartMan
Old Apr 02, 2005, 10:28 AM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Didn't I see a thread with video of one of these bit car gliders? Somewhere in France?
A little white depron glider with up-curved wings?

I would like to participate, but I don't have the bit car equipment and haven't spent the time to learn how to do it. What are the quick and short threads for this kind of thing?

Sounds good though!

BTW what is the yellow powered plane in the picture?
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 12:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
I do not see anything "sissy" about using good radio equipment that has enough range for a micro glider to actually enjoy a thermal.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 02, 2005, 02:40 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a glider on bit gear if it is the right sort. You can have great fun with a glider doing catapult launches followed by short flights. BUT if that's your bag then proper control for aerobatics etc is much better. For duration then full range RC would seem prefered.
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Apr 02, 2005, 04:24 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
bleh, it was supposed to be cheap fun, these arent thermal duration ships....

just wanted to find a cheap thrill, thought it might be fun to see what some of you came up with...

the reason i stipulated bitgear is that RFFS or similar requires about $300 worth of gear, bit stuff is $10, more people can play.

never mind, you guys obviously know better...

Old Apr 02, 2005, 04:38 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
If you had just left the RC gear open there would have been no problem, the people without $300 could still enter with bit gear.
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Apr 02, 2005, 04:52 PM
Inventor
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Mar 2005
179 Posts
.. I thought he ment "this is a bit-gear group weekend project"

- I think his idea was great ! just for once.. no hitech expensive gear, just plain and simple "bit-gear".. maybe it would have got the right start with a more clear headline.

- a simple 'backyard tiny "I took just what I had lyin around"-stuff to build' -thingy

- I think people get too crazed about "every thing has to be pro-gear"..
- it supose to be fun too.. not all pro-stuff

conversion is offline Find More Posts by conversion
Old Apr 02, 2005, 06:29 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
I like cheapies as well as anyone...but bitgear seems a mismatch for a glider when you are going for duration and altitude in a competive way.

It will become a free flight as it thermals up..
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 02, 2005, 06:30 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
Matt - the high wing plane is an original Wattage Decathalon, and a glider called a Candy. They are both in immaculate condition, the glider had hs-50's in it already. I couldnt believe what he wanted for them, I was really glad to have a chance at them.

conversion - exactly. it was supposed to be a fairly simple, super cheap, just for fun project. No world record duration or exotic requirements. The only reason I wanted to measure duration was to be able to determine which planforms were best. Anyone who would put $300 worth of RFFS into a .50 cent glider needs therapy anyways. The idea was a small glider that could get hand launched in the parking lot and then thrown in the car, no need for long range or anything, just a few fun flights during breaks.

I went to Fry's and picked up a couple more Ecoman bits...I will post my cheap-ass designs tomorrow sometime, I am hoping to get 30 second flights. I am doing one R/E and one A/E, never built a remote actuator before but that was supposed to be part of the fun.

Thomas - I never said they had to be thermalled or competitive. It was for FUN. And as far as thermaling these things, I seriously doubt anyone here can see a actuator controlled micro airframe at 500', at least well enough to fly it in thermals. We arent talking 60" wingspans, more like 16". That would be lovely, hundreds of dollars worth of JMP combo gear floating away in a boomer. Not.

Graham - if we allowed any gear, thats like allowing steroids in the Olympics. It isnt a level playing field. i am sure I can get more duration out of proportional gear, but the whole point was to use bang-bang and have a good time, on the cheap. People with $300 gear can probably afford a $5 bit car more than bitcar guys can afford $300 gear.

Anyone who wants to participate feel free, anyone who thinks they need pro-gear make your own contest.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 10:26 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
well, seems like a good excuse to build a micro glider... i dunno about making it in a day, but i will definatly try to fit something in within the week. i figure a bit board, with a single nimh, and two acuators should be easy enough.

bean

edit: then again, its not like i can fly it... we have a complete blizzard going on outside, a few inches of snow. sheesh.
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Last edited by beanoman; Apr 02, 2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 11:04 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Gordon- If you are reading this, are you still thinking about Indoor HLG's? We could compete over ehre and time eachother, now that I have glue :-D
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Apr 02, 2005, 11:35 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
a week sounds good...hell, lets just build something and post pictures and have a good time...
Old Apr 03, 2005, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2003
796 Posts
I have built plenty of all balsa 16-30'' r/c hand launch gliders using JMP gear and I may need therapy, but its not from that.
I have never messed with bit stuff ,but would like to learn.
Some of my gliders go up over a 100 feet on launch. What is the range of the bit set ups?
robert harik is online now Find More Posts by robert harik