Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:07 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Bass. yes thats the Dual Motor. Oil the bearing s and bushings with a light machine oil often and it'll last longer.

Go Geoff, A true man, flirting with danger! Look forward to the pics.!
CDROM:
20mm stator, 24g 18 t, Wye, N-50's 8040 prop 3cell 1/2 throt- 3 amps WOT-7.7
22 mm stator 24g 19t, wye, N50's 8040 prop 1/2 throt.-3amps WOT-6 amps.
WD
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 11, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:47 AM
Slope beginner
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
205 Posts
Waterdog, You've gotten me into trouble at home. After working three ambulance shifts over the weekend, and getting home late and not having a chance to fly some of my other planes, I went straight to the basement to start on my STC. The wife was none to pleased...but this one sweet looking and easy building plane. Hope to have a first flight this weekend.

Thanks for the plans and building guide.

Dave
EMT_Dave is offline Find More Posts by EMT_Dave
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:20 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence on building cdrom motors. I stayed up late last night reading about the komodo hobby cd motors. Now I think I could wind one of those and will try that one out. Just may push back the maiden of my STC until I get this motor as it comes from overseas.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:36 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Hey Boss, www.slofly.com has them in stock, you'll get it in just a couple of days. Same price.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:36 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I am going to get one or two of those kits also. I am going to go with the N45 magnets instead of the N50 magnets since the N50's don't hold up when they get hot. They look like great kits!
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 11, 2005, 01:01 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
EMT, Hey man, I'm excited about you building the plane, but we'll never see the pictures if she kicks you out! Bring home flowers tomorrow, give her a big kiss, tell her you love her, THEN ignore her some more and finish it.

Colby, good site, try also www.gobrushless.com, www.customcdr.com, Lensrc, etc.

Daddy-O, I can tell your head is spinning from all the research your doing on CD motors! I was buried for a month in it. All magnets lose their ability under heat, (that's why you never sand a magnet to fit), however my magnets/motors never even get warm. Mine will run full throttle on the STC till the pack dies, the motor is cold to the touch and the battery has to be put to your face to feel any heat. And thats with a 3 cell 830 ma. 2cell is completely cold. Flies for about 15 mins at WOT. Thicker wire, more turns, stronger magnets. And order the custom bell housing and end bell. Takes a beating and is easier to build.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 01:22 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Hey Waterdog, we were specifically talking about the komodo kit. It's a little different. Gobrushless and customcdr don't sell it. Slofly is the only reseller I know of so far. You can also get them direct from the manufacturer in China: www.komodohobby.com
The manufacturer is out of stock, but slofly has them.
They're available with n45's or n50's and everything you said about magnets applies here as well. Personally I've been sticking with n45's on all my motors. I built one with n50 and couldn't tell any discernable difference.
-Rick
Old Apr 11, 2005, 01:37 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Oops, sorry! Komodo different. Did you measure yours with a wattmeter? You don't notice a difference in flight per se, but you will drop up to a full amp in power consumption, causing less heat on motor and batt, longer flights, and batterys that last longer too. Eg: 20mm with N45's/8040prop was 4.4 amps at 1/2 throttle, 6.7 amps at WOT.
N50's/8040prop was 3amps at 1/2 throttle, 5.9 amps at WOT.
Granted, not a huge difference but when your sucking every last drop out of those batterys, it alls helps. Maybe I'm just too picky...
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 11, 2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:15 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Looks like you have been burning the night oil WaterDog. Sounds like you got it figured out. The proof is in the puddin' and your videos show that you have got a real winner combination there. Thanks for the info.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 11, 2005, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Oops, sorry! Komodo different. Did you measure yours with a wattmeter? You don't notice a difference in flight per se, but you will drop up to a full amp in power consumption, causing less heat on motor and batt, longer flights, and batterys that last longer too. Eg: 20mm with N45's/8040prop was 4.4 amps at 1/2 throttle, 6.7 amps at WOT.
N50's/8040prop was 3amps at 1/2 throttle, 5.9 amps at WOT.
Granted, not a huge difference but when your sucking every last drop out of those batterys, it alls helps. Maybe I'm just too picky...
Naw, I don't have a wattmeter
I do have a voltmeter, ammeter and thrust stand. I saw a difference but it was very little. Maybe I'm not as picky as you are
-Rick
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:46 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Colby, its all good!

Daddy-O, welcome as always!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Ditto Waterman! I agree it's all good
I was just giving him my opinion, didn't want to get into a religious argument about it
I really didn't tell you -why- I have stayed with the n45's, but here it is; if my understanding is correct, the efficiency is better with n50's, but the power output is better with n45's. On my small 3D planes, I need every single gram of thrust I can muster out of these things to hover and have sufficient pull out. Therefor I choose to stick with n45's. I agree with you about the temp not being an issue, however I may change my mind about that come summertime when it's over 100 degrees here everyday. I had big problems with that last year.
We've had a remodeling project going on for the last week here at home and it is finished now, so tomorrow I can get back to normal and get one of these built soon. Congrats Waterdog on such as great presentation. I see very few commercially produced kits that are so well presented, and with such terrific instructions. I'm probably going to build the model just out of respect for your efforts
I'm also involved with some high school modeling projects, and mostly because of your documentation I think your model is going to be the school kids' next project. Thanks!
-Rick
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:06 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
STC #3 maiden flight

Colby, I'm very honored. Thank you. I hope they do build it, it would be fun to see a whole bunch of them together! Heres a video of STC #3 on its maiden ROG and flight. Required only one click of downtrim and she was tracking straight. Thats Happy. No camera man were hurt filming this video.

www.ozonefoam.com/stc3du.wmv Dialup 3mgs

www.ozonefoam.com/stc3.wmv Broadband 6.4mgs
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 10, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 04:49 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
And the family keeps growing. Getting to be alot of them around here..
Old Apr 14, 2005, 01:37 AM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
WaterDog, that sure is a nice looking and really nice flying plane! Pretty aerobatic for just 3 channel control.

I just busted my FoamFly Frog and I have a sloper wing I don't like to fly anymore so with those parts, I'm making two profile planes, one will be an STC. I'll put floats on it and try it at the lake.

Thanks for the super plans and build guide! Awesome work, and free to boot. Your generosity is greatly appreciated!

-Vince Patron
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron