Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:56 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
bass
I'm running a GWS 350 "B" gear in mine. Its not a profile fuse but the weight is not that much different. It flys great and has plenty of power. Not as much as Waterdogs cdrom, but plenty. Great plane, you'll enjoy it.
MatRat is offline Find More Posts by MatRat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:00 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
I should edit my post on the J250 saying that I would be using it in a gearbox, gws 100C. So MatRat yould recommend the GWS 350 B, cool now that I can get at the LHS. I was wondering too about the weight as the lipo I have is about 2.1oz 2S 1300. I thought about doing the fuse like you did yours. How much space did you have between your fuse as I can make up some.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Apr 10, 2005, 01:39 AM
Slope Seeker
Tollhouse, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
433 Posts
bass3587,

I have been flying one with a J250 in a "D" ratio gearbox and it flies great. I am currently rewinding a CDROM for this little gem. Next build is the full size one to replace my worn-out Slow Stick for AP work.

Scrambleon
Scrambleon is offline Find More Posts by Scrambleon
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:02 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Where are you getting your gearboxes from? All I can find is the motor and gearbox combo.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:36 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Wingflyer thats right! Scoundrel! I think you are flying inverted....

Bass, you're welcome! J250/GB or IPS Dual should fly just fine.

Scrambleon, did you say you have a STC built? Where the pictures, brotha?!
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:58 AM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Wingflyer thats right! Scoundrel! I think you are flying inverted....

Bass, you're welcome! J250/GB or IPS Dual should fly just fine.

Scrambleon, did you say you have a STC built? Where the pictures, brotha?!
Like this one.
http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...id=IPSD-RLC-AS
Old Apr 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Bass,
I'm not a power expert, but I have that motor/gearbox on one of my wings with a li-poly 1200 2s, and it flies it great! I think you would enjoy that setup. I am going to have to build one of these also (I just can't now since I have several things already on the board) and I am planning on putting a Lensrc 17 turn motor on it. Should do well. It is the last Lensrc motor I have available righ now. I may have to purchase a couple more (or a kit and start building them! ).
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 10, 2005, 01:02 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Are you referring to the J250 in a gearbos or the IPS twins? Thanks again for all the information. I'm still learning stuff everyday
Old Apr 10, 2005, 01:51 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I was referring to the link you posted (IPS A twin). It is a good setup.
Daddy-O
Old Apr 10, 2005, 01:56 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
oh ok. I think I'm going to go ahead and order it for the STC. Since I've never wound a cdrom motor I will stay with something comparable in brushed.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:49 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass3587
oh ok. I think I'm going to go ahead and order it for the STC. Since I've never wound a cdrom motor I will stay with something comparable in brushed.
The gws motor will fly the plane, probably pretty well but there is no brushed motor that is comparable to a cdrom motor.
By the way, if you are only after average performance, winding a cdrom motor is a cake walk. Winding is only a problem when trying to squeeze all possible power out of them.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:59 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Bass,
I agree with Rick. I think you could wind a cdrom motor also. If so many others can do it, you can also. Most of the cdrom motor kits come with good instructions on how to do it and if you have a problem, you can always come here to look for help. I'm sure you will get it.
Daddy-O
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:57 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
[QUOTE= I thought about doing the fuse like you did yours. How much space did you have between your fuse as I can make up some.[/QUOTE]

bass,
I simply measure the width of the gearbox that I am using and cut the bulkhead for the nose to rear windows that width. I simply pull the tail together and add a top piece which fits inbetween the fuse sides. This makes a pretty strong fuse. I think my fuse for the 350 gearbox is 1 1/4" wide.

Terry
MatRat is offline Find More Posts by MatRat
Old Apr 10, 2005, 09:32 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14
Sooooooo many great foamies to build. My wife is really starting to rag on me with all the planes lying all over the house.... She's starting to notice when another one majically appears.... I need to start watching her new purchases more closely so I can counter....
My brother, a(nother) rabid hunter, tells me that the hard part is "getting the new rifle in the gunsafe. After that, they all look the same!"

My problem is keeping Sylvia from LOOKING in my gun safe (G).

Maybe we need to come up with something similar for airplanes!

Waterdog is getting me in hot water though, I've started the STC and STA ALONG with my GWS TM400 and have two more sets of plans on the drawing board, one with parts cut.

She's GOT to notice that (VBG)
geoffbeneze is offline Find More Posts by geoffbeneze
Old Apr 10, 2005, 09:49 PM
Xenobiotic Liaison
Tempe, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
684 Posts
Waterdog,
Do you know what kind of amps this one pulls with the CD motor? I'm going to have to order another speed controller. None currently "single".
geoffbeneze is offline Find More Posts by geoffbeneze