Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:33 PM
Foam NOOBIE
Moyock, NC
Joined Feb 2005
1 Posts
Tiled Plans Question

These plans are great! I am new to foamies, and I have a question about the tiled plans. I printed out the tiled PDF on 8.5x11in paper and the plans say not to overlap, but if I don't overlap, things don't line up. What is the best way to do this? Also, if I wanted to print this out on a plotter at kinkos, should I use the single page and blow it up. Sorry if this has been covered already.
Shin Screen is offline Find More Posts by Shin Screen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:01 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
No problem, Shin Screen. Printers leave a margin and cut off the lines. Make sure the "Scale to fit" box in your printers settings is unchecked (off). Just line the pages up edge to edge and using a ruler, connect the lines. Don't worry if your a little off, it will be fine. Use the one page as a guide. If you get stuck, just ask. Lots a help lurking behind the scenes here.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 06, 2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2005, 12:18 AM
TGC
AMA1940
Indian Lake, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Printing Out The Plans

First and foremost, WaterDog, THANK YOU very much for the plans and the building manual! They are wonderful!

I had the same problem yesterday that Shin Screen mentioned; I discovered by using the "Snapshot" feature of Adobe Reader, I could "copy" individual parts from the Tiled Plan to Clipboard and "paste" that component to MS Paint or Paint Shop Pro. The only remaining problem was that the ink lines were about .25 in. wide due to the resolution change from the small sized files.

AGAIN, THANK YOU for sharing your plan, your building experience, and your talents with all of us!

CHEERS! Tom
TGC is offline Find More Posts by TGC
Last edited by TGC; Apr 07, 2005 at 09:33 PM. Reason: (sp.)
Old Apr 07, 2005, 06:47 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Thank you Tom! And thanks for offering your help. Always welcome any hints and ideas. Maybe this will help, I readjusted the line thickness in the one page pdf to 0.0012. Should enlarge and print much smaller. Try it, see if it works.
WD
Old Apr 07, 2005, 11:14 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I like the helmet hitting video. You could have killed somebody, LIKE YOURSELF!! I laughed so hard! I think it was a combination of that song (I'd forgotten about that one - listen to the words, it's hilarious!) and the sound of the prop coming right at your head. You almost exposed some "bone". Or is that a "bone head" move?! I'm just joking around with you. It looks great. Thanks for the vid and for the plans.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 07, 2005, 06:31 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Daddy-O, D) All the above! Thanks and your welcome. Love "in your face" flying, and sometimes thats where it wants to go. Geez, the best Barnstormers hit the Barn once in awhile! Funny how fearless ya get with a helmet on.....wanna see my motorcycle scars?
Old Apr 07, 2005, 09:28 PM
TGC
AMA1940
Indian Lake, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
Full-Size High-Resolution Plan

Hi Charles,

I am an Adobe Illiterate! I converted your .pdf file to a .jpg file and enlarged it to a full-size drawing so I could work it over with MicroSoft Paint and Paint Shop Pro.

It is right here.

MS Paint will print out the 291.0 Kb. plan full-size and tile it. What little "fine tuning" is needed is explained in detail in my comment under the pic.

Those more gifted than I can use their favorite program to the same end.

I hope this helps out; THANK YOU again for the inspiration!

Cheers! Tom
TGC is offline Find More Posts by TGC
Old Apr 07, 2005, 11:42 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
It flys

Maidened my full fuse STC tonight. It flew great even with about 10 mph winds. On low rates, it was gentle and made low figure eights about 5 foot off the ground. At full power and hi rates I climbed and tested the air frame with some snap rolls and loops. I tried inverted flight but I have too much dihedral.
I decided that since it was so stable, I would go get my camera and shoot a few shots while flying with my left hand on the right stick. Its quite a trick to fly with your left hand and work the digital camera with your right and try to find the plane thru the view finder and NOT lose control of the plane. I did manage to get a few shots of the plane in flight but I had to stay high enough to have time to switch hands on the controls when I got in trouble. Here are a couple of shots.
MatRat is offline Find More Posts by MatRat
Old Apr 07, 2005, 11:47 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
building the wing

Here are a couple of shots of how I build the wing for the foamies. I cut the wing at the fold and cut it double thickness. I then unfold the wing and heat it in order to bend the airfoil. It gives the wing a natural dihedral and there is no glue joint in the middle. I've done this on about 20 models and have yet to have a failure. The entire wing takes about 10 minutes. Hopefully some of you wil try this and let me know how it works.

Terry
MatRat is offline Find More Posts by MatRat
Old Apr 08, 2005, 01:57 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the info on your wing, MatRat! Another way is always great. Options are good! And congratulations on your successful maiden flight! It looks real purdy in the air. Quite a juggling act to get those pictures for us! You'll have to take some video of it and post it. Have someone hold the camera for you next time. Wouldn't want you to lose all your hard work.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 10:25 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
I'm at the local park buzzing around with the STC when a friend who has been flying for years came over to give it a whirl. Now this guy drives around with a Shockflyer, a Twinstar, a Rambler, a Zagi and a Raven in his Van and gets a couple flights in a day between work stops, so needless to say, he's not too impressed by much these days. About the same feelings were being portrayed about the STC, but being polite, he gave it a whirl. Now he's up higher and a little more reserved, not wanting to crash it though I was egging him on! The best part was listening to his comments while he's flying it. It surprised him. After we were done flying, he went home with #2 STC as his!

www.ozonefoam.com/stcldu.wmv Dialup 4mg
www.ozonefoam.com/stcl.wmv Broadband 7mg
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 10, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:10 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Hehehe... It's fun watching guys who would normally turn thier noses up at a simple DPF plane, when you get them on the sticks of a great one...

I remeber hooking one of our club's best pattern guys up on my Mini3D one afternoon at the field. I couldn't get it back until the pack was dead And no way to wipe the smile off his face. The giggles and body english while flying were great
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 09, 2005, 04:17 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Gene, honored by your presence here. Thanks for stopping by this thread, O'Master of all things Foam. Your right about first time reactions, I was getting the biggest kick out of his! And LOL! on the battery pack, he ran it till the LVC shut off at the end of the video!
Old Apr 09, 2005, 08:01 PM
Va Beach Va
Joined Jun 2004
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Gene, honored by your presence here. Thanks for stopping by this thread, O'Master of all things Foam. Your right about first time reactions, I was getting the biggest kick out of his! And LOL! on the battery pack, he ran it till the LVC shut off at the end of the video!

No if you remember right I ran two battery down before I gave you the radio back I know if I could of flown it longer I bet i could get it go inverted. Nice plane had fun fling it.
WingFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WingFlyer
Old Apr 09, 2005, 11:32 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Hey Waterdog thanks for the plans. I have two cut out and trying to come up with a power system thats comparable to you cdrom motor. I saw on the plans you recommend a GWS IPS-A. Any other motor you would recommend. Would a J250 be too much? I have about 15 of them looking for a home.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587