HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:07 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
waterdog

not being a beginner (built probably around 50 fff planes) i still like to see how everyone else does things .... it can be very interesting. so, i printed out your building guide for this plane to look at. i have to say ... that is the most impressive guide i have seen since hippo's (foamfly.com) guide to working with fff. i know how much work that was, and it is truly a masterpiece.if your intention was to give something back to this forum .... you certainly have ! you are to be congradulated.

jer
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2005, 02:26 AM
TGC
AMA1940
Indian Lake, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
187 Posts
"stc"

Your videos are "fueling the fire" here; your building guide is excellent!

THANK YOU, Tom
TGC is offline Find More Posts by TGC
Last edited by TGC; Apr 05, 2005 at 03:39 PM. Reason: (sp.)
Old Apr 05, 2005, 05:54 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Jerbear, I'm humbled. Thank you. Coming from someone who's built 50 FFF's and has been around the block at ezone, thats really saying something.
Means alot to me...
And you too, Tom! Thanks. Since you like the last ones, here another for being so kind. Remember that warm afternoon when you enjoyed just doing lazy circles? www.tornlogic.com/avov/stcs.wmv
WD
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 06, 2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2005, 10:54 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Its been so windy in Kansas I had to build

I could not even fly a kite in 40 mph winds the last couple of days so I decided to try my had at this new model. I did not have any carbon rod so I changed the fuse a little by putting in some bulk heads. It came out alright and seems to be a strong fuse. Great plans and it goes great with my modified TOG Birddog and my Aeronca Champ. Here are a few Pics of what I've done. Hopefully I'll have the gear tucked up inside the fuse by the time the wind dies.

Thanks for the plans
Terry
MatRat is offline Find More Posts by MatRat
Old Apr 05, 2005, 11:01 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
More pics

Pics of the fleet
Old Apr 05, 2005, 11:21 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
WD..

Nice plane, vids, and plans....Thanks...I will definately build one after I finish the 1000 other things I need to do!

Sooooooo many great foamies to build. My wife is really starting to rag on me with all the planes lying all over the house.... She's starting to notice when another one majically appears.... I need to start watching her new purchases more closely so I can counter....
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Last edited by mjdee14; Apr 05, 2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 06, 2005, 07:30 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
MatRat, WOW!! Awesome job! Can't wait to hear how it flies for you. Keep us posted. More pics!!

mjdee, thank you! LOL! Now hide your planes in different closets, repaint them often to confuse, and go count how many bazillion pairs of shoes she has at about $110 a pop. Bet she has more shoes then you have planes. For now.
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 06, 2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:12 AM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
I don't know if you have tried this or not, but when I build the wings for these planes, I cut the pattern with the center section on the fold. I cut double thickness and then simply unfold the wing. No joint to glue in the middle. It sure speeds up the building and it has some natural dihedral. I usally set my final dihedral with the struts. you will see in my white one that the wing already has dihedral and I haven't attached the struts yet.

Give it try on your next one and see how it works for you.
Terry
(MatRat)
Old Apr 06, 2005, 11:38 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Nov 2004
75 Posts
Just a quick question on the foam, is it 1/4 inch?
Rob_k is offline Find More Posts by Rob_k
Old Apr 06, 2005, 05:42 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
MatRat, great idea! Thanks for sharing with everyone. I'll try it on the next one. Should knock more time off of the build. And thanks for trying it, your the first on line to build it!
Rob K, Its just under 1/4 inch, 6/32 is what mine measures.
Built another, the third one so far. Should be able to fly it in the next couple of days:
Old Apr 06, 2005, 06:43 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
What motor are you using in the plane. I have a GWS 350 C gear in mine and I run 1100 mah ions. My weight with motor but minus the servo's, Rx and Battery is just under 7 Oz. I figure I'll be just about 10 oz ready to fly. I'm not sure how much weight the bulkheads in the fuse adds but it will let me hide my gear inside if I decide to.
It looks like you are using tape for your trim. It looks a lot sharper than my acrylic walmart paint. I'll try to post more pictures of mine when I get it flying.

Terry
(MatRat)
Old Apr 06, 2005, 07:09 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
MatRat, I'm using a 20mm stator and 22mm stator CDROM motor with 24 g. wire and N50 magnets. I use a 22mm double stator for the full fuse Seaplane, but originally it had a gws 350 w/d gear and 9 in sf prop. Its a little heavy of a motor for the profile STC. It would be happy with a dual IPS w/ a 9 in. prop. Plane #1 is 5.9 (34.5in WS)oz w/o battery, plane #2 (36in WS)was 6.4 w/o batt., plane #3 (35in WS) 6.1 oz. 350 should work in yours, it'll be a rocket ship!
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 09, 2005 at 04:48 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 07:35 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Matrat, I don't know what part of Kansas you're in, but around here the wind is supposed to die down tomorrow
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:11 PM
Kansas
Joined Oct 2001
267 Posts
Rick,
I live in Augusta, just outside of Wichita. I noticed it is forcasted at 6 mph by 7 pm tomorrow. I may have to head to the school parking lot and fly under the lights. Are there many flyers out there in Colby? I've spent some time out there at wrestling tournaments over the years. I coach here in Augusta and therefore have access to the gym when the weather is really bad.
Terry
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:20 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Terry, I think we may have talked about the gym in another thread. The forecast I am looking at is calling for 5 to 7 mph all day tommorow, with 5 mph being midday in this area. There are a handful of flyers around here, we have a small club. I think we may have about a dozen members, and there are several flyers around who are not in the club. There is another small club in Goodland and an unofficial club in Hoxie. I think there is one in Hays also.
Your planes look very nice, keep up the good work
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb