HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:30 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Ok, I have a couple of pictures of the finished product. 1 flight down and hopefully with many more to come.

Hawk
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2006, 09:37 AM
United States, MI, Chelsea
Joined Aug 2005
679 Posts
Noooooooo an evil Michigan state fan. Just joking

Very nice plane you have there.
stafphoto is offline Find More Posts by stafphoto
Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:57 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Well weather turned out fine today after an overcast and breezy start.
The downthrust and moving battery forward by 1/2 inch have cured the zoom climb under power, it now just climbs slightly under full power and no elevator input.

Good weather enabled me to get 8 flights in today and get the Navy STC wrung out. All flights 16 to 22 minutes using a couple of 1300 2 cell lipo's and a couple of 1025 2 cell Konions.

Very pleased with the handling even with only 1.5 inches of dihedral under each wing tip, it has some stability. Can flick roll and spin no problem.

Gone to an 8X6 for the prop, seems to provide the best performance on this motor configuration. Will not sustain vertical but its only a small motor, and it provides enough grunt for the type of flying i will be using it for. Can always strap on a 3 cell for ballistics.

Thanks for a super plane Waterdog, just got to finish my Nasty now, if i manage to drag myself away from flying.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
Noneed,
My method is not very scientific, but it works for me. I put the rod in the fuse and make it about 3" short. The motor stick is mounted on a second piece of 3" rod. When I epoxy the short rod and motor stick in place, I just hold it at the desired angle until the epoxy dries. Then I epoxy a piece of plactic strapping to the motor stick and side of the fuse to keep the rod from twisting inside the fuse.

Ken
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:40 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Interesting night that I had with my STC. I had flown a couple of my 2cells and asked my friend if I could use one of his 3cells. The problem started when he didnt have much velcro on his battery. Anyway, as we were chasing each other around the battery came loose from the fuselage and was hanging. I was trying to be very easy with it and try to land it but it all happened so quick and the battery swung up into the prop. Off went the battery from about 30-40 ft. Good news is that the STC just floated all the way to the ground and came to a landing on its gear. AMAZING. The battery seems to be ok as well. What an awesome plane. I thought it would just come crashing to the ground under no control. That was not the case.
4 flights and counting, lol.

Hawk
Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Brilliant!

DD- Thats a beauty! Love the Navy theme. Congrats on a sucessful maiden flight too. Great story. Try a GWS DD (Direct Drive) prop in a 8040 or 9060 with that motor, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Smoother, faster, less amps, etc. "Try it you'll like it".

Hawk- Hate it when that happens!
Nice plane! Now thats a color scheme on your "STC"! It's must land on gravel with those wheels. My flying buddy Paul, always says the same thing when someone lands their new plane; "Needs bigger wheels"!
I think he'd be silent on this one.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 14, 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:54 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Waterdog,
lol, I picked those wheels up from Hippo at Foamfly. They are great for landing just about anywhere and they are bigger than I thought they would be. Not sure if I would recommend them or not. Thanks for the compliments.

Hawk
Old Apr 14, 2006, 05:17 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Waterdog thanks for the tip on props, have already tried a 9X5 DD on maiden seemed to work ok will look if I got a 9X6 or 8X4 and give them a try.

My brother may have some, so may have to raid his stash.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Apr 14, 2006, 05:57 PM
Souderton Pa.
Joined Dec 2004
695 Posts
WD (and others)

Hey long time ago I remember reading your statement the "We ask alot from these little planes" well maybe not an exact quote but pretty close.

Well WD I have to draw again on your exp. I am in the process of configuring the STC for AP. I am usin a Aiptek 1.3 SD.

The STC is configured this way.

Motor Esskay 400xt (brushless)
Battery 2 cell lipo 1500
Prop 9070
Flight weight 14.5 oz including camera.

This is a stock STC. I know this is a bit fat for the STC.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the help

thumbs
thumbs1 is offline Find More Posts by thumbs1
Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:45 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs1
WD (and others)

This is a stock STC. I know this is a bit fat for the STC.
What are your thoughts?

thumbs
It's a bit fat for an "STC".
Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:54 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
OK, I'm being a smart . Heehee

You answered your own question. Like it or not, ya gotta build another (know you were hoping to use that one ) thats bigger all around by a couple extra inches. Take the one page to Kinko's and have them enlarge the plane until the WS is a few inches longer, 2-4 being a good start. The STC is designed for under 10 ozs even though it will fly with more. You're getting "fat" with the camera and extra drag and need more lift, ie; wing area, to carry the load.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 07:45 PM
Souderton Pa.
Joined Dec 2004
695 Posts
Yeah I knew that but had to ask. I saw a plan for a 52" wing span STC. Is that the one you were sugesting?
Also will the Esskay 400 and 9070 prop work? I do have a couple of gps 350 D boxs around.

Just a question here. Could I put a another wing on with a longer wing span? The wing is removable. If it would work I don't know how much longer a wing the fus would take.

Watcha think?
thumbs1 is offline Find More Posts by thumbs1
Last edited by thumbs1; Apr 14, 2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 08:08 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Breaking news...................STC survives mid-air collision. Unfortunatly the Hobby Lobby Yak suffered exstensive damage, lol. The STC was picked up and tossed back into the air. 7 flights and counting.

Hawk
Old Apr 15, 2006, 06:16 PM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
Hawk,
Just stay away from the thermals.
Ken
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:56 PM
Slow But Tuff
South Carolin
Joined Feb 2006
37 Posts
Thanks

Waterdog,

Thanks so much for the STC design. I built one over the last few days and put a rim fire brushless on it and it flies great!

I am new to RC flight and it is great for practicing, thanks alot.

JackDonkey is offline Find More Posts by JackDonkey