HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2005, 07:33 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Build Log
“STC” Build guide, Free plans, and Videos!

Have a new plane for everyone! It started out as a trainer/parkflyer that was to be stable, inexpensive, and nearly indestructible, for teaching new people to fly. It was also to be a trunk plane for me when I feel like a little relaxing. Don’t get me wrong, love to fly my 3D planes but sometimes its nice to just do lazy circles on a warm evening. With a few small stunts thrown in! Had to be cheap to make, and could be put together in 1-2 evenings with supplies you buy at the hardware store. After reducing its big brother, the “ST”, in size and making some changes and tweaks, finally ended up with a easy flyer that can show its other side, which is a little 3 channel stunt plane that’s an absolute blast to fly! It tracks straight and true when you gas it, and has a gentle stall, making it a predictable flyer, ….big confidence boost for beginners. Couldn’t find anyone to video for me this early in the morning, and a tripod just doesn’t cut it, so I strapped the video camera to a bicycle helmet (!) and shot some footage this morning. The weather is grey in the last two videos,so they're OK videos, and a sunny day in the first. The Sunny day is the maiden of that plane, flew great first time out.
OK, three different types of videos, each one different, different music, theme, etc.
And, yes it’s nearly indestructible, hit the ground and posts, never did a thing to it. In the last two videos you can see where I did a "impact test" straight down into asphalt from about 30 feet. Broke the rubber band on the prop saver, and that was it. In the first one, you'll see the plane bounce off the back of my helmet! The Build Guide is a step by step photographic direction on how to build the STC and the plans are tiled, all in pdf.

For a short while, I will make available the plans and build guide. I just ask that you do not use them for commercial purposes or duplicate and reproduce them. Please do not ask for DXF, DWG, files etc. They are for your use only, so go have fun!

First one is an overall of the plane, second is going slow and third, a dash of speed in the end.

The website is sometimes slow with viewers, so check back often.

Overview: www.ozonefoam.com/stc2.wmv (Cable/broadband) 8mg.
www.ozonefoam.com/stc2du.wmv (Dialup) 4.4mg
Low and Slow: www.ozonefoam.com/stcvids.wmv (Cable/Broadband) 7mg
Low and Slow: www.ozonefoam.com/stcvidsdu.wmv (Dial Up) 3.5mg
These next two are larger but fun to watch.
Fast and Fun: www.ozonefoam.com/stcvidf.wmv (Cable/Broadband) 17mg
Fast and Fun: www.ozonefoam.com/stcvidfdu.wmv (DialUp) 9 mg
Touch and go's www.ozonefoam.com/stctg.wmv 19 mgs Cable
Touch and go's www.ozonefoam.com/stctgd.wmv 5mgs Dialup

www.ozonefoam.com/stc.pdf for the tiled plans.

www.ozonefoam.com/stc2.pdf for the one page

www.ozonefoam.com/stcbg.pdf for the build guide.

Happy Flying!

(Warning on 3M 77 glue: The older version was foam safe. The newer version will eat foam if not applied properly, as explained in post #3083)

Hope you enjoy,
WaterDog
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 12, 2011 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2005, 07:59 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Rather then PM me, here is the link to the pdf "STC" Tiled Plans and Build guide. Please excuse my CAD skills as I just learned CAD last week and am still refining them on a daily basis. Please build one and let me know what you think.

www.ozonefoam.com/stc.pdf for the tiled plans.

www.ozonefoam.com/stc2.pdf for the one page

www.ozonefoam.com/stcbg.pdf for the build guide.

Happy Flying!

(Warning on 3M 77 glue: The older version was foam safe. The newer version will eat foam if not applied properly, as explained in post #3083)
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 10, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 08:01 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
D'oh!
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 01, 2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 10:00 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
Nice little bird WD. Flys good too. I think that a 36 incher is a nice sized plane, not too big to haul around but big enough to be easy to see for these tired eyes. I have a 36" windy day plane that has given me the most smiles per minute of any plane so far.

Good job!

Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Apr 02, 2005, 04:08 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Foamin', Thanks! When the video was taken, the wind was blowing 10-12-knots! It handles wind exceptionally well for a smaller plane. Its nice to just throw it in the trunk and not worry about it. A good thing about this design is the very strong, but light landing gear. Whack it against a curb or lawn dart it and no damage, yet solid for landing, no bouncing all over the runway. At about $2.00 each per plane to make, who cares if you do? The Build Guide is full of handy tricks that make this a tough flyng bird. Tired eyes! LOL. Know the feeling. All my wings are different colors, top and bottom, gotta see which way is up! Is Spring starting show its face there? Looking forward to warm days of flying...
Old Apr 02, 2005, 05:49 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
excellent build guide and plan. thanks, waterdog.

(couldn't help but notice your copy of the da vinci code. i've read it twice. the earlier book, angels and demons, is pretty good, too)
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Apr 02, 2005, 06:08 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Thank you Ronnath! That's nice to hear. Please build one! If you discover anything in the build guide that needs fixin' or should be included, feel free to say. I confess, thats my sweetie's book. I watched the special on History Channel I'm in the middle of "Shadow War" by Richard Miniter. Great book.
Old Apr 02, 2005, 06:21 AM
no place like cloudbase
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Aug 2002
487 Posts
Very nice. Gonna give it a try. Thanks

Leigh
freeflight is offline Find More Posts by freeflight
Old Apr 02, 2005, 06:44 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Great! Please keep us posted. I'd like to see someone who is good with a airbrush have at it, too. I'm great at covering everything with a airbrush , lousy at detail work. Look forward to your build..
Old Apr 02, 2005, 09:09 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
5 hours total from start to finish scratch build, (Answering a PM question). Rained here all day, so I built another one to see:
Old Apr 03, 2005, 04:20 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
And ready to fly. I'm making a few of them for down at the field with the gang. Good group/club plane. A bundle of Blucore would make 50 planes!
Start my own squadron..
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:08 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Man hit in head by plane! Film at 11!

Reposted the first video with a sunny day one in which the plane smacks the back of the "video helmet"! Sort of like "Combat Solitaire" See first video in the original post. Or go here: www.ozonefoam.com/stc2.wmv
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 10, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 05:55 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1 Posts
Hello Waterdog

The aeroplane you are describing and have built. With the extreme limitations on weight i.e. hardly any weight at all, how does she fly in windy conditions.

I don't know what the climate is like in Virginia but here in Chesire for most of the year we have 12 to 15 knot winds.

My compliments on the design.....awfully simple but awfully effective.
AncientBrit is offline Find More Posts by AncientBrit
Old Apr 04, 2005, 06:19 PM
United States, PA, Greene
Joined Jan 2005
313 Posts
Waterdog,
Nice simple plane. Just what I have been waiting for.
Lows' is currently out of FFF now but will soon restock.
I have noticed that the FFF is better quality than before.
Cant wait to try it.

Thanks.!!!
BW
st99 is offline Find More Posts by st99
Old Apr 04, 2005, 07:21 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
AB, thank you and yes, we have too much wind too! The video in the sun and the faster one at the bottom were both blowing about 10-12 with a few lulls in between. When the wind kicks up, I put on a heavier battery and just give her the gas! No flopping around. Flies great at speed, tracks straight.
Buckwheat, thanks for the compliments! Hope they get some soon for you, its getting warmer out, gotta fly! I haven't bought FFF in about 6mos, you say the quality is better? Cool.