Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Airfoil for GWS EDF 50 jets

Would

a) Flat bottom clark y style

b) Flat play no camber

c) Under cambered formed sheet

d) Something else?

be better for a gws 50 powered jet? This will be flown outside but doesn't have to be particularily fast. I've used the clark y ish one so far and it really works well on my sort of salamander plane, but will the same type be good on a delta wing with tail group or would another type be better?
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:25 AM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Mike,
I tried both with my Mig-29. I went from under cambered to a sheeted flat bottom
wing. I didn't notice much of a difference in lift but the plane did transition better. I
think an airfoil is always better on a jet. Just my current thoughts on the matter based
on recent experience.
Steve
Old Mar 31, 2002, 02:12 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Have you been keeping track of thickness? The sort of salamader plane I have has a rather thick wing with a blunt trailing edge upto about the last 3 inches of the wing where it thins from the bottom as it washes out (the trailing edge is about 1 cm). I'll try a hot-wired wing on the next delta as well.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 03:06 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Mike no need. Just make your dapron wing, bend the airfoil just like the under cambered wing. Cut another wing sheet, bevel the edges and sheet the bottom of you wing.
I'm at about an inch at the root and a 1/2 inch at the tip. The first one I did came out a lot like a Wattage Mirage wing. It works very well. Yes I did put in a balsa spar.
Steve
Old Mar 31, 2002, 05:40 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
It sounds like more work than cutting the foam? Is it that easy to get an even bend in the foamboard? I'll have to try a few I suppose and see what is easier. I wonder how the weights and strengths of each will compare?
Old Mar 31, 2002, 05:47 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
Dapron wings are lighter, it is easy to do and blends very well if you bevel the edge of the bottom piece. Took a second. Really. Not to mention the nice finish you get and you don't have to cover it.
Steve
Old Mar 31, 2002, 07:50 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
I hadn't actually thought about covering the foam for these light planes. I'll give the 2 piece wing a try on the next delta! thanks Steve!
Old Mar 31, 2002, 08:25 PM
steve neill
n/a Posts
I always silkspan my EPS wire cut wings for more strenght.
Good luck Mike.
Steve