Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:04 PM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
T-Hawk vs Predator

I'm just getting ready to buy my first plane to learn to fly on. I'm building another plane currently from a kit, but don't want to learn to fly on it.

I was originally just going to get a t-hawk, but I watched the video's on their site and looks like the predator can do a lot more. I assume it's probably harder to fly because of this, the question, is it to much harder to learn on?

I'm basically just wondering is the t-halk going to be to limited, just learn to fly and then after that it's boring, whereas the predator might be harder to learn on, but then would be fun to fly for a longer time? Or will the predator just be to much to handle for a beginner?

They're basically the same price so I just need some opinions on what to go with.

thanks for any input!

chris
mdchris is offline Find More Posts by mdchris
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:43 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
your going to want something thats easy to learn on...the t-hawk havent flown the preadator....when your learning you want something easy to fly, durable, and not too pricey...the t-hawk can do basic aerobatics like inverted flights, outside loops, inside loops, 3ch rolls ....so its not really too limited..it will last you a while..lots of guys still fly them, some modded theirs for better performance and stuff like that..hope that helps
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:01 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Of the two, I would choose the T-Hawk as your first plane. Dismiss any idea that the T-Hawk will be "wimpy" or boring. In-point-of-fact, some people consider it a more performance orientated beginner plane, due primarily to the ease by which you can tip stall it into a spiral....downwards. So, give yourself some altitude, at least 2 mistakes high to start with.

Also, opt for the 900 NiMH battery packs offered as an option. Most of the people I have read about or heard of that enjoy souping up the T-Hawk are experienced pilots, including myself. That says alot about the plane. If it was a lead sled, really slow and forgiving, no performance capability, then the better fliers would not waste their time with it. As for flying inverted and outside loops, more elevator would be handy. Some have actually increased the size of the rudder and elevator. This, however, is a more extreme modification (including Mega 16/15/3 B/L motors) that is best left to experienced fliers. As a first plane, the T-Hawk is a nice package. Try to get some help, versus being a solitary newbie. Photo of my T-Hawk attached. I have a reverse wound Zagi Speed 400 on mine (2nd one), with increased throw on rudder and elevator, and GP1100 7 cell packs. Over 100 flights, only one really major lawn dart incident! I got my $$ worth, and the plane is still active in the fleet.

Good luck.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2004
106 Posts
T-hawk first. Learn basics, get use to flying.

But....after you feel comfortable with what you doing get Predator without radio. You can use Thawk radio. Also dont buy Predator as bundle. Buy it as parts: one fuselage, 2 wings, 2 tails, 3 props and landing gear. Than buy 6 cell battery from BatterySpace. Cheaper this way.

T-hawk is more stable, bigger, slower plane. Its a perfect plane to learn. I would say best first plane.
Predator is smaller and faster plane. Great as a second plane to learn some aerobatics.
Warden is offline Find More Posts by Warden
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:35 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
T-Hawk vs Predator

In both cases, forget about using the flimsey landing gear. It is about the only complaint I have for these two planes. Fly without landing gear. Hand launching is easy, especially with the T-Hawk. And learning to "grease" your landings will really make you a better flyer, especially if you gravitate towards sailplanes, pylon racers, or anything that has gone "dead stick" on you. The T-Hawk can take some hellacious "smack downs" without noticable damage.

If you REALLY want to get trick, get the T-Hawk w/o electronics. Install better 72 Mhz equipment (what comes stock is OK, but is 27 MHz orientated) that you will ultimately re-install in your next plane. Less interference or glitches, greater input resolution, other features depending on what transmitter you use. Note I am still using the original T-Hawk transmitter, but I have flown a T-Hawk outfitted with a better (JR, I think) transmitter & receiver setup.

Oh yea, maxamps.com has good prices on GP 1100 7 cell NiMH packs, complete with 14 gauge wiring and Deans Ultra connector. 7 cell packs will deliver the max motor performance, that extra cell does make a difference.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:58 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Doug I second the suggestion on ditching the landing gear. After the first couple of landings the gear was really shot so I took it off and haven't looked back. I fly on grass mostly and just glide her in. Oh by the way I have the Aerobird challenger. Same plane but I wish I had bought the T-hawk first as it is the better of the two. IMHO.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Last edited by bass3587; Apr 01, 2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 12:08 AM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
Yes i too think that the t-hawk is easier to learn to fly on then the ABC, only becuase for a beginner,i think its more difficult to trim out the v-tail then it is to trim out a t tailed plane...as for the landing gear i ditched it as well, real weak and i flew on soccer fields..you should also take your rear wheel off when landing it in grass doesnt take much for it to break..but the plane is a great flying maching
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Apr 01, 2005, 05:55 AM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
Mdchris I do have both planes and I got the Predator before my T-Hawk. The T-Hawk is much easier to fly for the first time. The Predator is a bit faster and much more aerobatic but the T-Hawk is no slouch either. I had the T-Hawk up yesterday and was able to cut the motor do a steep dive and make a full, un-powered loop. Pretty cool. Landing gear for both planes is a joke but they belly land and hand launch so well they aren't needed. The Predator is every bit as durable as the T-Hawk, if not even more so. The biggest down side of the Predator is the short battery life. Either way you go you will be very happy. Make sure you download FMS and the T-Hawk demo. This will save you a lot of grief by practicing on your computer. Definately give the T-Hawk a little more consideration though.

Good luck and Have fun. It's a Blast!!!
T-Fly is offline Find More Posts by T-Fly
Old Apr 01, 2005, 08:22 AM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Thanks for the input guys! I did download FMS last night and got the t-hawk model for it, practiced for about an hour. My girlfriend just rolled her eyes when she heard engine sound coming from the office, she's getting just a little bit sick of hearing me talk about r/c planes because since i started working on my p51 that's all she hears :P

Anyways I think i have decided to just err on the side of safety and I am going to order up a t-hawk today.

Do you think i should order the t-hawk with the crappiest batteries I can get with it in the kit, and then just buy one of those 7 cell nimh pack batteries? Or just stick with the 900 nimh packs they offer with it and worry about better battery's later?

I also saw a website from a guy who owned one where he recommended putting some zip-ties through the fuselage putting slight pressure on the motor out the back of the plane, to help support it in case of a nose dive crash because he claimed the plastic parts that hold the engine are weak, what are your opinions on that?
Old Apr 01, 2005, 08:58 AM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
mdchris, Welcome to Rc Groups by the way. You will be very happy with th T-Hawk. I would recommend getting the NiMh batts for your plane. You can always go to cheapbatterypacks.com to upgrade as well, for less price. The motor mount mod is nice but not entirely needed. I bought a used T-Hawk with some wear and tear. I got VERY careless and nosed in at top speed. I ended up ripping the thin plastic of the fuse that the motor is attached to. I unscrewed the motor, rotated it to line up with two different holes put 'er back together and was back in the air in a couple of minutes. I forgot to tell you to look in the For Sale listings here in RC Groups for a T-Hawk and/or Predator. My T-Hawk came shipped for $90 with 3 props, 2 wings, 2 sets of tail feathers, and 3 batteries. My Predator came from E-bay for $110, that's two complete set-ups with all the spares for $200.

Your girlfriend is sick of hearing about your plane now, Wait until you start to fly....
Old Apr 01, 2005, 09:09 AM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
mdchris
You might want to check this out.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353466
Old Apr 01, 2005, 09:41 AM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
Awsome thanks a lot t-fly, i'll definitely look into that before i buy a new one!

thanks again! Only been using this board for a few days and I can already tell i'm gonna be here for quite a while!

chris
Old Apr 01, 2005, 10:11 AM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Feb 2005
378 Posts
You will definately spend a lot of time in here, it's a good place to hang out while batterys are peak charging. Speaking of which, two just finished so I'm off to my pasture to fly my T-Hawk right now. I hope you get one soon. The FMS only makes you crazy after a while wishing you had the real thing.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 10:33 AM
Joined Mar 2005
69 Posts
It's nice having your own open space hey? I grew up on a farm and it's only about 45 minutes from where I live now, I go visit my parents quite often so i have all the space I need to fly, only about 5000 acres so i think i am set haha

Now i just need the plane.
Old Apr 01, 2005, 01:02 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchris
...... so i have all the space I need to fly, only about 5000 acres so i think i am set haha
Now i just need the plane.
Yeah, well keep in mind the T-Hawk can really FLOAT when it wants to!!!!

RD
RCG Plus Member