HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2005, 02:02 AM
Joined Jan 2005
332 Posts
How much $$$ have you spent on your AP rig?

I'm afraid to count my receipts but am thinking with plane kits, electronics, cameras and various other things I've spent at least $1000 on my quest to build a good AP plane since June or so of last year. I'll have to dig up all my receipts and see. I wonder... what has everyone else spent on this insane addiction?
manatee is offline Find More Posts by manatee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2005, 02:24 AM
err...see where it went?
Qld, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
605 Posts
at least 2-3k aud here and thats not including the plane itself
crooser is offline Find More Posts by crooser
Old Mar 31, 2005, 03:12 AM
Kahn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
Answer no 1:
Dont EVER try to count up the money spent on this hobby, and if you ever make the mistake of doing so, NEVER, EVER tell your other half.

Answer no 2:
Despite the large sums of money invested in this hobby, it is actually quite a cost effective pursuit: Say you have spent thousands of dollars on all the equipment, then add up the number of hours of enjoyment that you spend on the hobby - not just flying hours, though - remember to include the time you spend building, shopping, reading forums, planning your next build/purchase, contributing to forums etc etc. You'll very quickly find that the $/hour equation comes out at a very respectable figure. For me less than $1 per hour - great value!

Cheers

Kahn
kahnxx is offline Find More Posts by kahnxx
Old Mar 31, 2005, 04:05 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2004
129 Posts
Kahn,

I'm with you on this one.

This question should never be asked !!

I might have a heart attack if I found out the right answer

As far as I'm concerned, I get great value for all my spending. Hours and hours of fun, building, trying to fly, the re building, the re designing, the starting from scratch all over again bit.

Yes, great value for money ......
Wellington is offline Find More Posts by Wellington
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:35 AM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
My current plane incl motor, electronics, etc is about $300. The camera, PRISM and SD cards, about $350. Batteries specifically for AP about $100. And the transmitter about $200. So if the car caught on fire on the way to the field, I would be out about
$1000 to replace the AP rig. If I have my laptop (bought mostly for viewing / editing pictures) add $2200.

However, I also fly gliders - and much of the equipment is also used there.

And then there's the cost of learning to fly - slowsticks and my old 3-ch radio. So, since I started in RC about 2 yrs ago, I have probably spent about $8K.

But as others have pointed out - compared to, say, water skiiing - that's chump change given the hours spent engaged. I often compare flying motor-gliders to fishing. The run-up is the cast. Then I "fish" for a thremal. And "play" the thermal when/if it bites. It's generally relaxing, happens outdoors, and has moments of excitment. Again - compared to the price of a bass-boat, my RC budget would not provide the fuel for the boat and the truck that would be required to pull it. As hobbies go, I think this is one of the least expensive.

As for AP - it gives me a "mission" to apply the skills largely gained with the gliders. I take a lot of pictures for friends of their houses, neighborhoods, etc. And they seem to really appreciate it. It is fun for them to watch the plane and then to share the pictures with their friends and families (often waving from the driveway). I sincerely enjoy the pictures posted on this forum of things and places - small towns and far-away countries. I love the "my house" self portraits. I think this is more "good will" toward others than most hobbies provide. The only reason to take a picture, after all, is to share it. This sense of sharing makes the money well spent, in my opinion.

Tom
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2005
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnxx
Answer no 1:
Dont EVER try to count up the money spent on this hobby, and if you ever make the mistake of doing so, NEVER, EVER tell your other half.

Answer no 2:
Despite the large sums of money invested in this hobby, it is actually quite a cost effective pursuit: Say you have spent thousands of dollars on all the equipment, then add up the number of hours of enjoyment that you spend on the hobby - not just flying hours, though - remember to include the time you spend building, shopping, reading forums, planning your next build/purchase, contributing to forums etc etc. You'll very quickly find that the $/hour equation comes out at a very respectable figure. For me less than $1 per hour - great value!

Cheers

Kahn
heh heh... very true. If you think about it, it is also much healthier and cheaper than drinking, smoking, or other forms of entertainment.
manatee is offline Find More Posts by manatee
Old Mar 31, 2005, 04:16 PM
Tall Tree Trimmer
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2004
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington
Kahn,

I'm with you on this one.

This question should never be asked !!

I might have a heart attack if I found out the right answer

Yes, great value for money ......
Yeah, like my wife could do a search on this thread. . .then what?
CloudyBright is offline Find More Posts by CloudyBright
Old Mar 31, 2005, 05:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I don't keep incriminating evidence like receipts. Besides, it'd only give me a complex......
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 31, 2005, 05:36 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,245 Posts
We've watched as planes have become significantly more sophisticated as the AP bug starts nibbling. An individual can go thru several planes and/or designs before they get one that can (a) carry all the stuff they want (b) fly in the most varied conditions (c) offer some protection for (a), (d) and produce the desired AP product. Those guys over there at Littlebird are charging like $7-800 for their Predator model. I personally think you should get more than a kit for that, but it is a proven flyer. But as it was mentioned above - even folks who are serious about other hobbies can spend significantly more than a "G" note to get going and do so on a regular basis! (e.g. go look at a "serioius" fly fishing rig - YIKES!) My AP designs have taken me four years and I still ain't done improving on it. I consider it all apart of being "serious" about AP. And my planes are "serioius" AP platforms too!

CTF
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:12 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,524 Posts
$399.00 when flying near airports or my wife.

Gotta go -- Mastercard is on the phone.
Herleman is offline Find More Posts by Herleman
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:46 PM
DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!
Washington DC
Joined Sep 2004
523 Posts
All I can say is this is alot cheaper than sailing. Having a sailboat is like having a "Hole in the pocket".
NCQ3 is offline Find More Posts by NCQ3
Last edited by NCQ3; Mar 31, 2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:57 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
The only time I ever added up the $$$ I had in the air is the time I lost my rig in the swamp. Right around $850.

I think I also estimated my AP plane's value briefly before chucking it over a cliff some months back. I ended up just saying "chuck it."

eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Mar 31, 2005, 08:17 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
Let me see here,

Slow Stick: $35
Nippy Black: $80
CC 25: $75
Tanic 2200: $80
Kodak CX 6330: $175
Hitec 555: $60
3X HS-55's : $70ish
Steelhead Wing: $27

Total: $602 I should realy keep that number in mind when I'm flying
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.