HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by R3 Team, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:57 PM
Research Dept.
New York
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Wanted.. RC TurboCharger

Dear RC Groups Member:

I am looking for complete or any available part of RB TurboCherger for a TRX 2.5 or Hyper 8... please E-mail me at LFR-X10@MAIL.COM with any info if available.

Thank You
R3 Team
R3 Team is offline Find More Posts by R3 Team
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:41 AM
Operator
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jan 2005
91 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
1. That is a supercharger
2. It is a PROVEN fact that they do not add useful additional power to ANY nitro powered motor.

consider this before you waste your money like so many others...

Just looking out for a fellow rcgroups member....
Punisher is offline Find More Posts by Punisher
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:46 PM
Joined Apr 2005
18 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Well here is the link you will need http://rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21 and where are you getting your info that they do not work? Here is there own link and info http://rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21 A. It is not a proven fact that RB SuperChargers do not work it is a proven fact they do work. B. Have you looked at the Dyno sheets on the RB inovations chargers? Have looked at the Compression Test results? e-mail them and they will send you the specs for your particular application E-mail Techinfo@rbinnovations.com And no I am not a sales rep or in any way affiliated with them. I have seen the technical data done by a University Engineering Professor.
Bad Maxx is offline Find More Posts by Bad Maxx
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:01 PM
Operator
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jan 2005
91 Posts
Dyno tests are done at conditions at which NO r/c car will ever see in the real world
show me telemetry IN CAR...not in a Lab and i'll believe it.
I've driven 3 different cars with these installed in them
a nitro rs4
a 2.5 maxx
and a 2.5 4-tec

Not one of them ran right when setup properly, they also showed more wear in the motor than a "non" supercharged.

Do the physics...
2 stroke motors work on vaccume to draw the fuel into the carb and combustion chamber. By adding additional air pressure to the motor, you are effectively canceling out the benifits of a good tuned length pipe (scavenging and proper backpressure). The "blower" will simply push the "added" air and fuel out the open exhaust port due to lack of sufficient backpressure. (why tuned pipes work so well on these engines).

I'm not disputing the fact that they DO make more power, but at what cost? Ever see those "plumber" copper pipe exhausts on Ebay??....Same effect...lack of proper backpressure to keep the air/fuel mix IN the cylinder when the exhaust port opens. A 4stroke motor with intake and exhaust valves would be better suited to the blower than the 2-strokers (the exhaust valve would allow the boost to stay within the cylinder)

You spend your $180 how you like it. I'm just sharing the facts. Some will say it works, others say it doesnt. YOU buy one and decide if its worth the cost of a NEW motor that would run better NA.
Last edited by Punisher; Apr 22, 2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:16 PM
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
Punisher is right. Due to the exhaust and intake ports being open at the same time and the pressurized air disturbing the back-pressure from the pipe, the supercharger won't work properly. You'd be better off investing the $180 for the charger and $150 for the engine into a high performance $230 engine. The added weight, added drag on the crankshaft, wasted fuel and complexity of the supercharger will definitly make it not worth the time or money. Now if you could retrofit it to the O.S. .26FS-C then you might see it adding some power.

BTW, and manufacturer will always put out data that says their product is the best thing since sliced bread (and it's often not true, or "these results are not typical"). The truth comes from people who've tried the product, like Punisher.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:00 PM
Research Dept.
New York
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
Nice

Dear RC Groups Members

Thank You for the info regarding the good and bad sides of the Turbo charger... but my porpous is not to use it as a turbo but as an alternator...
use everything but to remove the turbine and add a dynamo instead, to keep my batteries charged all the time, plus to manage some extra accesories without losing power for the servos and RX
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:38 PM
Danger! Danger!
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
Why not just use a larger Rx pack? It'll still be lighter and you won't be robbing power from the crankshaft. I don't think a generator small enough to fit in your car is going to provide sufficient enough power to keep your Rx pack charged all the time either. You'd need the generator, a voltage regulator and some type of power relay in order to charge the batt while using it to power the radio gear. Sorry to sound like a party crasher, but I really think a larger battery would be a better idea.

-Frank
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:59 PM
Operator
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jan 2005
91 Posts
not to mention a who heck of a lot cheaper!!!
Cool idea, but i think you'll lose the benfits of having a charging system when you have to hold full throttle the entire time (draining your battery) to keep that motor spinning!

Give it a go, if it doesnt work...put the parts on EBAY
Old Apr 25, 2005, 06:07 PM
Research Dept.
New York
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
Nice

True... Larger batt. will do but the frame from the turbo charger will make people look twice and get near, and ask " what a heck is that"...
As I said is a project since I want to make a pulling truck with fog lights and a electric winch It doesn't matter how big the RX batt pack migth be it will not be enough If I am using servos, RX, and accesories at the same time.

This is getting interesting... But I am not geting info on where to get the parts
Old Apr 25, 2005, 09:04 PM
Operator
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Jan 2005
91 Posts
I doubt you can just buy the parts from a dealer. You'll probably have to email RBinnovations directly for the parts you need.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 01:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
how much u know about electronics becasue a alternator isnt gonna output power thats gonna run anything.. ur gonna need a fair bit of electronics in there
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old Apr 26, 2005, 12:26 PM
Research Dept.
New York
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
Mmm

Well my knowledge in elctronics is not quite alot, but I know the basics... I know a dynamo will pull almost 5 volts at idle ( near 1000 RPM or more ?) I tried with a small servo motor, at idle gave me near 10 VDC...
but all I want is the frame to hold the motor or dynamo and the pulleys to make the motor spin

Any help well apreciated
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:03 PM
Danger! Danger!
Joined Dec 2002
1,917 Posts
Do you know how many watts you're going to be generating at a given rpm? Volts don't matter too much, because you can always drop it with a transformer or a regulator.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,114 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
AHHH ok guys.. voltage doesnt mean crap the reason a dynamo works on incadescent lights is becasue they can take AC DC or watever the helll u feed in but you said unless u intend on running incadescent lights constantly and having them blow when u throttle unless you use a regulator (and some HUGE heatsinks) or gear it correctly also u wont be able to feed it into any RX.. ur gonna hvae to build some quite complex stuff etc etc etc.. i say just chuck on some more cells
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:17 PM
Research Dept.
New York
Joined Nov 2004
24 Posts
Ok

Good Point about the amps, I think it will give around 1000 to 1500 mah, but I'm not sure... all the testing I have done is with a rediction of 2:1 and actually holding the dynamo with my hands that's why I wnat the frame of the turbo charger, to see some real number and then see If I need extra cells or just forget about it
Closed Thread