SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2005, 04:37 PM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Fan Fold Fokker D8

Well it's been three months or so since I finished my scaled up guillows 40" FF DR1 and now it's time for another FF project. This time, I scaled up an old Sterling Fokker D8 plan. I scaled it up 75% which will give it a wingspan of 36 3/4 inches.

Now, I can use some of the things I learned on the DR1 to hopefully make this project go a bit smoother. Some of the mistakes I made on the DR1 was making it too big and heavy. A 32" wingspan would have made her fly on a brushed system instead of having to go to a brushless. Also, I will make the landing gear out of wire instead of wood.

A couple of questions for the fertile e-zone braintrust!

The orginial plane had no dihedral. I will use a flat wing just like I did on the DR1. I am planning on using scale sized ailerons. Should I include a small amount of dihedral?

I will be using 4 servos (2 for aileron and then rudder, elevator), a gws brushed 400 geared. Will a 3 cell lipo fry the motor? Should I use a two cell instead.

Thanks and I am looking forward to building this one! Hope to start tonight.
Steve
centex pilot is offline Find More Posts by centex pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2005, 07:29 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Steve , it should turn OK without dihedral, and being a parasol wing will be stable (pendelum effect ) .......Did you see my UF Albatross D-8 at FoamFly ???Same thing ....sorta' ...
You need to prop your motor for the recommended current (AMPS) draw of that motor ...and 3 cells , OR set the end points of your throttle stick on your TX not to exceed the recommended current .... I think it is 12 A on a s400 , could be wrong .... anybody ????
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Mar 30, 2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:31 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Hi gpw and thanks for the advice! Yes, I will be using ailerons and really was using a rudder just for take off and landing. I want to keep it light but also do not want it underpowered the way my DR1 turned out. I am also rethinking the potential of a folded two piece wing. My DR1 was built using single foam sheets with a small airfoil bent in it. I used basswood strips to stiffen and the effect was a fairly scale like appearance in the air. The DR8 uses no flying wires so I will cut a single sheet wing and reinforce once again with bass and see how much flex there is. Got the tail feathers cut and sanded last night. Will start posting some photos when there is something to look at.

No, I have not seen your plane but will check it out!

Thanks Again,
Steve
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:35 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
By the way, here is a photo of the DR1

Steve
Old Mar 31, 2005, 06:43 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Really Nice !!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 31, 2005, 09:15 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Hey steve,
Excellent! Great paint job on your DR1
Pete
mtflyr is online now Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Apr 01, 2005, 09:03 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Thanks Guys for the kind words on my DR1. It was a lot of fun to build and fly! I intend to go with the standrad lozenge colors on the DR8. It's really time consuming to paint but the effect is great when done. I did it last year on the SIG D7.

OK, started the fuse last night and should have something worth taking pictures of by the end of the weekend. The plane is going to be smaller than I originially thought. So, it should weigh a lot less. I am rethinking about maybe going 2 cell and a gws 350 set-up. I think the type of wing I use will determine that one.

Another question for you folks. I am thinking about ditching the rudder and going with ailerons and elevator only. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steve
Old Apr 01, 2005, 12:29 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Hi Steve!
Nice to see that you´re making another Fokker, I´m sure it will turn out just as beautiful as your Dr.1!

A few suggestions on what you have allready mentioned in this thread:
-Dihedral shouldn´t be neccessary as long as you have ailerons.
-As for the construction of the wing, I would personally make it a "true" airfoil, for example by folding it. Have a look at some pictures of the real D.VIII, the airfoil is really thick at the center, and thins out towards the wingtips (this also creates a small amount of dihedral, since the top surface is flat, while the bottom surface is angled upwards towards the wingtips). I would personally want to recreate that, since it is such a prominent feature of this plane. It would be hard to do so with an undercambered "single-sheet" airfoil.
-Rudder is useful, perhaps even neccessary for ground-handling. But, some planes really need rudder to make coordinated turns in the air also. Personally I don´t think I´d leave out rudder on a plane like this.

Just something to consider!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Apr 01, 2005, 12:52 PM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Hey Ander's! It's an honor to have your reply on this thread !!! OK, good advice on both points. I will try a fold over wing this weekend!

Thanks,
Steve
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:16 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Had a lot to do this weekend but still managed a couple of hours on the fokker. Should have some photos to post in the next day or so. Got the fuse and turtle deck done. Finished tail feathers and installed along with hinges and elevator. I built my servo tray and installed the elevator servo. Not sure now how I want to handle the landing gear. I did install a bass base to the inside bottom of the fuse to give me something sturdy to bite onto for the landing gear. I think wire would hold up better then wood but will not have the scale effect I would like. Anyone have any thoughts on using wire sandwiched in bass or better yet balsa for some flex? I really want to watch the weight on her. Landing gear is next and then motor, battery install. I will build the wing last and paint before I put her together. I have my fingers crossed for a maiden in 2 weeks or less!

Steve
Old Apr 05, 2005, 09:34 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Yesterday was a short day for me so I was able to get some more work done. Got the motor installed and the rest of the fuse stablalized with formers and then cut and rough fit the turtle deck. I'll do the landing gear next and then the front fuse blisters from the cockpit to the nose. Once again, having a great time with this! It's starting to look like a D8!

Steve
Old Apr 06, 2005, 06:41 PM
tissue for issue
Beavertown Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
324 Posts
nice dr1, ive been considering doin one myself. hehee. one question, so much wood, is there a reason other than personal taste that you used wood formers instead of blue foam formers?
wired one is offline Find More Posts by wired one
Old Apr 07, 2005, 09:49 AM
Austin
Joined Aug 2002
504 Posts
Thanks wired! I had fun on the DR1 although it was kind of a pain to get dialed in. With regards to the balsa instead of foam for formers, I just feel that wood is sturdier then foam without that much of a weight penalty. Suppose I could use foam but wood is easier! Got the top wing cut and ailerons cut and hinged. Will have some more photos soon.

Steve
Old Apr 07, 2005, 04:19 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Looking forward to the progress with great interest!

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Apr 12, 2005, 03:03 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,355 Posts
Nice!!!.............

I signed-on to watch! Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather