HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:59 PM
Haddorh
Utah, USA
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
What Upgrades will I need for Fast Forward Flight?

Hey...I have a Colco Thunderbird concept II micro heli. I can hover quite nice, and can fly around the house and land and take off from about anywhere. I just dont know what upgrades i will need in order to do fast forward flight. I also need a new battery pack....lipo or lithium...Also would a Lithium 1800mah 7.2v battery pack last long or have enough power for it? also will i need wooden blades or would my stock blades work for it?
haddorh is offline Find More Posts by haddorh
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:34 AM
Joined Nov 2004
44 Posts
what?

If your helicopter needs upgrades for Fast Forward Flight then maybe you should consider a new helicopter? Or maybe you have a setup problem with your current heli. Maybe have a local heli pilot help you out, set it up, trim it out and such.

ZipPhReaK
zipphreak is offline Find More Posts by zipphreak
Old Mar 29, 2005, 03:40 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
You are going to be fighting a few battles to make your heli behave well in outdoors FFF.
1. You have a very light heli. It will be thrown around by even the slightest breeze.
2. You have a low head speed FP heli. It will ballon up as soon as you start moving forward.

There are things you can do to improve outdoor performance. But keep in mind that it was designes as an indoor bird, and is best suited to indoors. My first recomendation is to consider getting a second heli, suited to outdoor performance (T-Rex comes to mind)
Now, if you want to imporce outdoor performance on your FP, you need to up the head speed. Adding weight is one way. Bigger batteries, possibly 3 cell LiPo in the 1200mAh range. Of course, this is hard on the electronics and tail motor, so you could also consider going with seperates. HH gyro, high frequency tail ESC and any main ESC. Then you would also want to cut your blades (or buy after market blades that have less lift). This bumps up the head speed, giving better FFF performance.

This all adds up to a fair amound of $$$. I think you should keep it as an indoor bird, and get a well behaved outdoor heli.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Mar 29, 2005, 03:43 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Vince, shouldn't you be in bed!!!
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Mar 29, 2005, 05:14 AM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
And now I am at work. Yes, early start. Couldn't sleep, so I got up and played with the computer until I was bored, and then ran off to work.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman