HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Eddie P, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 05, 2011, 02:17 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
577 Posts
Trust of MIDI FAN PRO with ARC-3665-1 on 6S

Hello

Someone tried the turbine MIDI FAN PRO with ARC-3665-1 on 6S - What is the real Trust ?
(i don't think that 3.6 kg is the reality !! - ( it's some data on the net)

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:11 AM View Post
flyedcowboy
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:02 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,610 Posts
What would be the best (easiest and slowest) pusher prop jet to build and fly using Depron and one of the plans found on here

Thanks guys

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,819 Posts
Easiest and Slowest Prop Jet and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
What would be the best (easiest and slowest) pusher prop jet to build and fly using Depron and one of the plans found on here? Thanks guys Lockey
Dang, I don't think anyone has offered any advice about the easiest to build and the slowest flyer in Depron or any other foam board. If they had, I am sure that would turn into a contest with many opinions and options. Generally speaking, any well balanced prop jet design can be flown with a high angle of attack so slow it might seem to be floating in the same place and not moving forward at all. It would take some practice in a low wind environment, but people do it all the time. Some call it prop hanging, or hanging on the prop. The only requirement is plenty of thrust and a big enough battery to keep it up for more than three or four minutes at less than WOT. On the other hand, if you want a slow flyer that can float about in a low wind environment without learning to fly around at a high angle of attack (HAA), you are seeking a very thin foam park flyer (TFPF) with a high lift wing.

There are some designs of TFPF that are made of 2mm-3mm foam board that are little more than a foam shell using minimal weight motors, ESC, battery packs and such that are so lite you need almost still air to fly them properly. There are also carbon framed flyers with a very lite weight plastic skin (think food wrap plastic film) of the indoor type (think Vapor) that can float about at less than walking speed for at least six minutes on a single cell LiPo battery. Off hand I don't know of any models of this type that are prop in a slot jets, but I can see it would be possible, but it would also be very expensive due to the carbon fiber parts. What one could do is use paper striped Readi-Board from the Dollar Tree store and make any number of prop in a slot jets using very lite weight motors, ESC, and etc. for a very lite weight model and balance it very carefully to fly at a HAA when trimmed properly, but the thrust would need to be kept high and that would drain the battery faster than normal.

I have subscribed to a number of TFPF threads that are a tube fuselage with wedge cuts on the front and rear of the tube, which is a common paper scale model airplane construction method. The wedge cuts are glued edge-to-edge to produce a jet shaped fuselage with attached lite weight, thin foam wings. They could easily be made to scale, or near scale, but our interest is often called cartoon, fat, fattie, phat, phlat, and other nickname style flyers. Some use propellers in the front, some just inside the tube, and some are rear mounted. The inducted propeller designs fly very slow and could be made to fly even slower as a high wing trainer type since placing the propeller inside the tube tends to reduce the thrust produced by the motor and propeller combination. Some of that reduction in thrust can be overcome by not trimming the propeller very much, if at all, and ensuring the tube is carefully designed to not suffer from back pressure effects. After that it is all about the motor's ability to produce plenty of thrust without weighing all that much, or requiring a heavy ESC and battery pack. Same would be true of any prop in a slot flat foam flyer modeled after a jet.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:26 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,437 Posts
Deleted Post

Deleted Post
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by burkefj; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:06 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
766 Posts
Question about propellers for these planes

First if I am posting in the wrong thread I am sorry. I recently built an RcFoamfighters FF15 and am using an APC 6x4EP prop but was told at the flying field I could use a standard prop with the lettering facing forward towards the nose of the plane. Is this a correct statement or must I only use Electric Pusher props on pusher planes? All my searchs only bring up the size of the prop ie: 7x4, 6x6 and so on noone states if it is a pusher or standard prop. Thanks
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:44 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,819 Posts
Which Propeller Design Works Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHTON View Post
... I recently built an RcFoamfighters F15 and am using an APC 6x4EP prop but was told at the flying field I could use a standard prop with the lettering facing forward towards the nose of the plane. ... Thanks
Yes, you were told good information, which means you can use cheaper propellers. Since most of us are using brushless motors, mount the propeller according to the hub design. The thicker part of the hub needs to be against the motor's face to take advantage of the hub having a thicker end (if it does). To cause the propeller to push, rather than pull the air, plug the motor leads accordingly. If you don't already know this, how you connect the motor's three leads to the ESC leads will cause the motor to turn either clockwise, or the opposite. Nice little detail when you want the motor to push air rather than pull it.

It really makes no difference if the lettering and numbers molded into the propeller blade surface are directed rear-ward in a pusher mount. Some may insist the propeller must be mounted in a specific way or it will be weaker, but that only reveals the "expert" has no idea how propellers are made. When plastic is squirted into the mold under high pressure, it has no idea it needs a specific direction to be stronger than another. The blades have no clue which direction of travel is better either, but the hub thickness does indictate by thickness which end needs to be touching the face plate of the motor. Sometimes the cheaper propellers have a hub design that is the same and offer no advantage, or extra plastic on either end/face.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Oct 05, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:22 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Yes, you were told good information, which means you can use cheaper propellers. Since most of us are using brushless motors, mount the propeller according to the hub design. The thicker part of the hub needs to be against the motor's face to take advantage of the hub having a thicker end (if it does). To cause the propeller to push, rather than pull the air, plug the motor leads accordingly. If you don't already know this, how you connect the motor's three leads to the ESC leads will cause the motor to turn either clockwise, or the opposite. Nice little detail when you want the motor to push air rather than pull it.

It really makes no difference if the lettering and numbers molded into the propeller blade surface are directed rear-ward in a pusher mount. Some may insist the propeller must be mounted in a specific way or it will be weaker, but that only reveals the "expert" has no idea how propellers are made. When plastic is squirted into the mold under high pressure, it has no idea it needs a specific direction to be stronger than another. The blades have no clue which direction of travel is better either, but the hub thickness does indictate by thickness which end needs to be touching the face plate of the motor. Sometimes the cheaper propellers have a hub design that is the same and offer no advantage, or extra plastic on either end/face.
Thanks for the quick response. I will now be checking on a few different prop configurations for this bird. Thanks a million!
MASHTON is offline Find More Posts by MASHTON
Last edited by MASHTON; Oct 05, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:34 PM
hammer slammer
huntington beach, CA
Joined Sep 2005
521 Posts
I always thought that the proper design leading and trailing edges were different and had to spin the correct direction for full thrust?

Is this incorrect? I looked at a prop and seams to be different edge to edge.
miljnor is offline Find More Posts by miljnor
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:50 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,148 Posts
If you are using the standard 2212-6 or 2826-6 2200kv motor, the APC 6X4E prop is the sweet spot for those motors. You can forego pusher props and just get the standard E prop. Put it on the motor with the numbers facing the front of the plane, and hook up the motor/ESC so that the motor is spinning in the proper direction.

Easy as pie!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:59 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,437 Posts
Yes, basically it doesn't matter if the motor shaft is facing forward or backwards in your application, just have the prop numbers(front of prop) facing forward, and the motor running in the right direction and it will pull/push the airplane in the right direction

I will contend that mounting the propellor backwards, ie if the shaft of the motor is pointing to the rear, and you mount the numbers on the prop to the rear, that even if you have it rotating in the right direction for proper thrust, it is not as efficient and will not provide as much thrust as the prop facing forwards and rotating in the correct direction.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-8 crusader with Video
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:44 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,610 Posts
Can someone please tell me what or how is the prop being held in place on this pic from post 392

Also what is the ALL TIME favourite of all the pusher plans on here?

Thanks

Lockey

RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mig-15
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:16 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,148 Posts
That's called a "prop saver", or "wobbly adapter", or "prop adapter". It's something like this:

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/ind...roducts_id=191

Basically, the prop is held on to the adapter by an o-ring. So that when you land and if the prop is pointing down, it will bend and "give" without breaking. I use it on all my pusher jets.

As far as the favorite, hard to say. This is mine, but of course I'm biased.

http://www.nicohobbies.com/store/ind...roducts_id=180

Build thread for it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795691

Pat
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:17 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
2,610 Posts
Thanks Pat, once again ... you are the man

Lockey

EDIT: PS. Pat, is that your web site?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 07, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:28 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,148 Posts
Why yes, yes it is. (which is why I said I'm biased )

Pat