HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:33 AM
Moorpark, CA
Joined Oct 2002
565 Posts
How to get a smooth finish on foam?

I would like to have a smooth surface on my GWS foam planes. I have read about a few methods including covering with iron-on monocoat type material or glassing with fiberglass and Minwax. Both methods also offer strength enhancements. However, I use carbon fiber internally to add strength - therefore added weight of the above methods is not desireable.

What other method is there to fill in the foam texture to allow a nice smooth paint finish?

Thanks.
Bonez is offline Find More Posts by Bonez
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:23 AM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Have a look at the latest Concrusher thread. There is a post in there (last couple of pages) which describes using carbon fiber tissue with a mixture of water/welbond glue (basically white glue). Sounds promising...

Edit:
Here it is... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=138
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:01 PM
Saint Cloud Municipal, Minnesota, United States
Joined Oct 2004
11 Posts
i just got done with a gws p-51,i used foam putty for train layouts,works very well and it is very lite.then i also added a few drops of water and painted it on,then just sand smooth with 320 or 400 grit.working in a hobby store i've tried many things,but the foam putty worked the best.
tony postle is offline Find More Posts by tony postle
Old Mar 28, 2005, 03:23 PM
Moorpark, CA
Joined Oct 2002
565 Posts
Tony

Do you have a specific foam putty product name and manufacturer?
Bonez is offline Find More Posts by Bonez