HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2002, 02:41 PM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
Which Hacker should be used in "E" Turbax

Hi guys

I have been following this edf forumn for quite sometimes and
also had been doing some edf flying(yes, a KY T33)too.
I have a couple of Turbax left over from earlier life and I'd like
to convert them into "E" version.Which of the classy purple
motor would you guys recommend?I am looking for 24cells sys.
Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Supersluf
supersluf is offline Find More Posts by supersluf
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2002, 03:36 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,018 Posts
"E" Turbax

I'm finishing up a JHH Cougar using "E" Turbax and the Hacker B50-16XL on 30 cells. I'll running it this weekend, so I post some numbers then.
Bob Ruff
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Mar 29, 2002, 04:16 PM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
Hi bruff,

I was fiddling with motocalc and I thought that I might end
up with the 15-16xl too. I'll keep watching this post then.

Thanks a lot.

Supersluf

P.S. This is the beast that I might build for the turbax
Old Mar 30, 2002, 01:22 AM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Bruff- Man.... I forgot to ask you at MWE how you were doing on the JHH Cougar. We have not heard much on the project in a while. Was it a pretty easy conversion to do? Have you had a chance to get an RTF wieght on the plane yet?

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Mar 30, 2002, 03:45 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Re: "E" Turbax

Quote:
Originally posted by bruff
I'm finishing up a JHH Cougar using "E" Turbax and the Hacker B50-16XL on 30 cells. I'll running it this weekend, so I post some numbers then.
Bob Ruff
Bob,

What do you think of the Cougar? I built one about 12 years ago and I thought it was real nice kit.

When you guys say "E Turbax" you are just talking about a standard Turbax fitted with an electric motor right? I'm not aware of Larry marketing an Electric version of the Turbax.

The idea of converting .46 Glow DF kits to electric is very interesting to me ... I will be VERY curious to hear how your Cougar flys.

Hmm, maybe I do need the 1/10th scale Yellow Aircraft F-18 after all Two 5" electric fans in that baby and we'd have quite a show !!!!
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
Old Mar 30, 2002, 06:58 AM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
Allen,

That's correct, it's a regular turbax converted to "E" power.
Well,at least mine will be.

Supersluf
Old Mar 30, 2002, 11:58 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,508 Posts
JHH cougar

Hey Plane Crazy,

The JHH cougar was designed around the turbax fan unit in the first place, so there really is no conversion necessary. The airplane can be built per the kit instructions and the only mods made would be to place batteries in the fuse instead of fuel tanks.

Allen,

The EJF sells an adapter for mounting an electric motor on a turbax I believe.
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Mar 30, 2002, 12:27 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
JetMang-Usually there is always some additional work required with these glow fan kits other than just tossing in the Turbax with Electric power system.

Glow ducted fan kits are always on the heavy side with beefed up heavy ply formers, and C grain balsa sheeted wings. When you are putting 4 pounds of batteries in these planes you have to cut some weight out some where or get used to flying a brick with high wing loadings.

The lighter the plane.... The faster it will go

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Mar 30, 2002, 04:28 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,508 Posts
Plane Crazy,

Well, I've actually built a JHH kit or 2 and there wasn't c grain balsa anywhere in the kits. All of the fuse bulkheads were all light ply and there weren't an unnecessary amount of bulkheads either; just what was required. By the way, there are no bulkheads in their sabre. You might be able to lighten up their kits a little, but not much. They are well engineered and build light for their size. The biggest thing you could do to lighten up the airplane is to build a kit that has a built up wing (like the cougar).

"The lighter the plane.... The faster it will go" ---As an aerospace engineer, I'm sorry, but I can't agree with your comment. You will get a better thrust to weight ratio with a lighter airplane which will give you better vertical performance, but.....to truly make the airplane go faster, one has to minimize the drag of the airplane or increase thrust or both. Also, there is a happy medium between weight and forward penetration of the airplane. An airplane will penetrate better with a little bit more weight...until it reaches a point of dominishing return, then the airplane just becomes underpowered.
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Apr 04, 2002, 01:11 PM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
I've just got off the phone with Robert Wagoner and he said that
he recommended the HW750 rotor for the conversion instead of
the original turbax rotor. Bruff, is that what you have in your "E"
turbax?Also if you have test ran it,I'd sure would like to hear
about it.

Supersluf
Old Apr 04, 2002, 01:41 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,646 Posts
750 ROTOR

If I have been reading the latest posts correctly the 750 is what gordon(Plane Crazy) is using with two hackers tied together. Or am I wrong....
Eric
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Apr 04, 2002, 01:46 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,018 Posts
E-Turbax I

Yes I do have the HW-750 rotor in the E-Turbax. MY JHH Cougar is 100% stock no mods for E-flight.I found the plane hanging in a barn here is Arizona. Cleaned off the dust and reglued it in a couple of spots. This one of the reasons for using the E-Turbax instead of the HW-750 fan. The plane is setup for the Turbax fan. I have all the servos in and fan is ready but I had to move the ESC over to my retract EJF F-86. So I will be a couple of weeks before I can get another ESC. With out batteries the plane weighs in at 8 lb. This is the airframe, radio system, retracts,fan unit, and motor w/ESC. I'm planning on using 30 CP 2400 zapped cells. I'll keep the list posted.
Bob Ruff
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 04, 2002, 01:56 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,120 Posts
We tried a E-Turbax in my Parkinson Reagle Eagle at the Tucson Jet Rally. 750 rotor, special wind Astro 40, Astro 214, 28 cells, 67 amps. Blows a lot of air. We got a short hop and then grounded the beast as we spent the rest of the week end chasing RF. I'm beginning to believe that as we get into higher wattage systems that our standard methods of capacitors and diodes just doesn't work any more. It is time to get real electrical engineers working on our RF problems. Moving antennas, twisting wire, alumnium foil does not do the job reliaibly. HELP!!!
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Apr 04, 2002, 01:59 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JetMang
"The lighter the plane.... The faster it will go" ---As an aerospace engineer, I'm sorry, but I can't agree with your comment. You will get a better thrust to weight ratio with a lighter airplane which will give you better vertical performance, but.....to truly make the airplane go faster, one has to minimize the drag of the airplane or increase thrust or both...
The largest component that comprises "drag" on an airplane is induced drag, not parasite drag.

A heavier airplane has more induced drag and will therefore always be slower than another airplane with the same parasite drag but is lighter.

Weight isn't added to racing airplanes so they will be faster, it is removed.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Apr 04, 2002, 01:59 PM
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Joined Sep 2001
181 Posts
AIRX

You're correct,but I was only looking for 46 size performance.
I'm not planning on creating a storm!
Anyway, as Oliver(wemotec) said: H+W stands for the designer's
name and 750 = 7 blades fan+ 50 size powerplant.
It was originally designed around ultra 3300-6 or equiv.

Supersluf