SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:27 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Post your SU-27 Shokey mods here...

Today I installed the 5300 KV Feigao on my SU-27 Shockey and it totally converted it into a full envelope performer!!.

I'm flying mine with just elevon controls for a more conventional flying style.

The jet jumped right out of my hand and went into a beautiful 60 deg. climb at 3/4 throttle.

It cruises beautifully at 1/2 throttle and slows down very nice with no stalling tendencies.

At 3/4 throttle it turns into a fast fighter. Loops and rolls are totally effortless at this setting.

Here's the setup now:

Feigao 5300
3020 GWS prop
740 mah 2S1P Thunder Power
Phoenix 10 Micro ESC

I would love to hear from others that have upgraded their SU-27's in terms of power setup, paint schemes, etc...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2005, 09:53 PM
Silver Spring , MD
Joined Jul 2002
308 Posts
Do you know what's the max amps ?
localbuyer is offline Find More Posts by localbuyer
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:45 PM
mexico city, mexico
Joined Aug 2000
515 Posts
Please paint that prop blue, or same color of the model.

At least black.

I do not understand why this orange color (safety maybe?)
inedesca is offline Find More Posts by inedesca
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:59 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
I have a 24" upscaled one that weighs in at 8oz with 3s Apogee 830 and a PJS-300-SFR. First time out was yesterday and it's a joy to fly. I'm using the advanced control setup.

Lots of talk about this guy on the Foamie forum as well.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Mar 28, 2005, 06:17 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I just got mine, I had extra gear from my micro helis sitting around so the electronics aren't optimal. It's been raining so bad up here that I had to come up with new ways to mod it (sitting staring at it was driving me nuts). Got started just goofing off with ideas (have an extra kit so I can revert at any time), decided to convert it to an SU-37.

Here are a few links about the SU-37:
Maneuvers
Some Specs (and a 3view)

Here is a list of the mods/setup of mine:

Expert Aileron/Elevon setup
Thrust vector plates added
Rudder added
Canards added

Sombra Shadow-1 (vertical mounted Tech MP micro antenna)
2x HS-50s (Aileron/Elevon/Thrust Vector)
GWS pico something on rudder (had it laying around)
Feigao 36turn/Phx10
GWS EP-3020 (I don't mind the prop being orange, I think of it as a hands off area warning)
Irate 3cell 600ma hand built packs with taps

Here is where it is at now

My posts in the foamy section thread are here Ik1010 Ikarus Sukhoi Su-27 Shock Flyer Jet Airplane

-Kai

Edit: Swapped out one of the pics.
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Mar 29, 2005 at 02:02 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 01:50 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
anyone know what the best throws are for this model in expert setup?
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:29 AM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,295 Posts
Kai,

Please keep us posted on how this flys with the thrust vectoring and the canards. I have two, one is built "Advanced controls" with stock power (flys as advertised) and the other "Basic controls" with a Feigao brushless (has not flown yet).

Regards, Bill
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador
Old Mar 30, 2005, 02:04 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
anyone know what the best throws are for this model in expert setup?
Mine are set at the mechanical max with no end point adjustment and are OK. Roll is very twitchy at 20% expo, pitch is comfortably behaved.
Old Apr 04, 2005, 11:27 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I have some videos up, the camcorder battery was dead, so my sister took the footage with her Digital Camera. These maneuvers weren't as impressive as yesterday's flights (you'll have to look at this thread, as I had forgot about this one), as I moved the battery further forward while trying to find the right CG (this was with the CG 10mm in front of the servo cutout).

I'm going to be moving the CG back to 5mm as the Kublit loops were much tighter (1/2 the diameter of the ones in the video), Cobras were much easier, and just generally throwing the plane into skids was just a matter of tapping my elevator mix. I may even try putting the CG back to the stock location just to see if I can flip it end for end in 2 plane lengths.

A bunch of kids came over to watch and ask questions, so ignore the talking in the background of some of the vids.

Almost a Cobra
Too close to the camera, and a Kublit
High Speed Kublit (the knocking sound is a kid bouncing a basketball)
High Climbout, with glide back down
720 High Speed Roll
Low Alpha and transition to high speed
As good as my landings get

I hope to get some more video when I correct the CG back to where it was. I just ordered some 2mm, 3mm, and 6mm depron, so I am going to be remaking it all custom soon. I plan on lengthening the wings by about 10mm so that I have more foam to attach the wingtips to, and might even build the wings out of 2 layers of 2mm depron, taper sanded before bonding to make a makeshift airfoil (would be kind of stretched diamond shaped).

-Kai
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:26 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I was able to make it out to the park with my sister again, this time the camcorder battery was charged, however the camcorder isn't a digital camcorder. It is taking me some time to convert/edit the video and to find somewhere to host it, currently the raw footage is 1.2gigs, 27minutes long (720x480 30fps). I hope to cut down to the highlights, drop the resolution, increase the compression, and get it down to a reasonable size.

I merged some of the videos from monday into one vid, however it's too big to fit up on my personal webspace. If anyone has any suggests for a good webhost let me know. I will also look into seeing if my work still offers personal webspace, but I doubt they would want me to host a ton of video files.

I moved the battery back a little behind the original spot I mounted it, putting the CG close to the stock location. My battery is held in place by the sides using superlock velcro, one side hooked to the center chassis, and the other side on a tape hinge. This mounting system allows me to put it where I want on a per flight basis.

I'm pretty sure the reason mine reacts so dramatically to alterations of the CG is because of the canards, and thrust vector plates. The vector plates allow it to move very quickly into alpha flight from any angle, then the canards catch the air and swing the front into the turn, while the back continues to skid around from the vector plates.

Kublits are now incredibly tight down to around 3 plane lengths in diameter. 90deg or more turns can be accomplished on demand, just roll the plane to knife edge then tap the mix switch. It was very windy out so I didn't get any good cobras in (every time I pulled into a cobra the wind would spin the plane to a different orientation). All of this was caught on video so I hope to have some of it posted by the end of the week.

I go back to work tomorrow so it will be a while before I get a chance to get any more video (I had monday and tuesday off work).

-Kai

P.S. The videos I previously posted are in Divx, I compared other compression and nothing else got the files down in size as much.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:17 PM
CAP 232-aholic
Centreville, VA
Joined Jan 2003
1,390 Posts
guys, not to get too off topic but does anyone know if the airplane is made of 2 or 3mm depron?

matt
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:49 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
3mm (measured with my calipers at 2.96mm)

-Kai
Old Apr 08, 2005, 07:14 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I was able to edit the down vid from Tuesday to around 8.2megs (only the first flight of that day).

So here it is:

2min 22sec Vid in my Gallery
SaveAs Link (same video as above, but for those who don't like to view in a little browser window, just right click, and choose Save As)

Once again, you will need the Divx 505 or later codec to view.

-Kai
Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:30 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
Roll is very twitchy at 20% expo, pitch is comfortably behaved.
Just use some Dual rate on the aileron function and/or more Expo.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:23 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,564 Posts
I don't mind where it is, really, it just takes a steady hand. Actually, at low speed and high alpha it's quite nice- makes for well controlled landings.