SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2004
288 Posts
Easy Star with camera mount and Himax brushless

A few people have asked for some pics. of the EasyStar Plane I use, so here they are. I don't think this is all that much different than what other people are doing, but here are some pics. The second pic. shows the stock motor with a .125 carbon rod glued into the fuselage. For the first 3 weeks I used the plane with the stock motor and glued only the last 6 inches of the fuselage together and used tape to hold the rest of it together. After getting the Himax 2815 brushless motor, Ph 25 controller and Berg micro stamp receiver, I split the fuselage and installed the new stuff, Pic. 3 The rest of the pics. show the plane as it is now with the Canon S230 camera sitting in a foam cradle camera mount, being held on with rubber bands. I did cover the foam camera mount with 2 separate applications of .55oz fiberglass and minwax to add strength. Also a 6" servo extension helps in getting the camera on and off. The Black camera mount that looks like a small box is made out of Kydex , a thermo plastic, that you heat in the oven to 300 and then fold or mold to the camera. I use it as a multi purpose camera box. as I also have a alum. bracket that mount under my Slow Stick, and this box will bolt right up to that. Overall I am very happy with the end results. I use the Easy Star for when it is windy and or when I have a lot of room to land it, as the thing seems to glide forever. The Slow Stick works great when I need to bring it out of the sky at a step angle and don't have much room to land. They both work great, but its nice being able to choose for the situation. Also the EasyStar does fit into a day pack, which can make for a nice bike ride/ photo shoot.
Frank B...
FrankB is offline Find More Posts by FrankB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2004
288 Posts
the rest
Old Mar 27, 2005, 02:37 PM
avf
Joined Oct 2004
481 Posts
cool whats the AUW ? and hwodoes it land ?
avf is offline Find More Posts by avf
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:38 AM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
Great job...love how you can just take her apart and throw her in your back pack...keep em' coming
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:46 AM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
That is nice. I have the same motor on a modified Slinger flying wing that I use for AP. It's a great direct drive motor with 3 cell lipos. I have never heard of the Kydex. Would you happen to have a link to an on-line supplier? Thanks.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Mar 28, 2005, 10:40 AM
Joined Oct 2002
518 Posts
Stellar work Frank! Thanks for sharing!!
SD
slopedog is offline Find More Posts by slopedog
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:41 AM
Joined Aug 2004
288 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I don't know the weight but I will check on that and post it. On the Kydex, I have been using it for years to make sheaths for some of the custom knifes I make and it works well for things like this camera box. The manufacture can be found at Kydex.com or at Google. For suppliers that sell very small amount, you can get it Texas knife supplies or K& G supplies, I think that stands for Knife and Gun supplies. Both sells it for around 4.50 a foot. I have used the .060 on the camera box, but have also used the .090 to make landing gear for another plane. If you have plastic supplies store around, they will have it cheaper if you buy a full sheet.
Frank B...