HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2002, 12:47 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
Question
Combat Models F-16/18 pusher

Hey guys, has anyone built a Combat Models F-16 or F-18 and powered it with a Jet .50 or YS engine?

What sort of difficulties did you encounter with the pusher configuration? Did you run it forward or mod the engine to run it reverse with a forward prop?

how is the performance with a nice engine and what nitro did you run? Top end speeds/climb?

There used to be a nice F-18 kit with a glass fuse made by a guy in the Pac Northwest, but I haven't seen his ads lately. Also wondering how his F-18 compared to the CBM foamie and glass.

Thanks-

Ed
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2002, 02:02 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,503 Posts
Eddie P,

Somehow I inadvertently wandered into this jet forum, thinking it was the EDF forum.

Apparently you do IC as well?

Hey, some of my best friends are IC guys

Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Mar 29, 2002, 04:50 PM
Jefferson, WI
Joined Jan 2002
18 Posts
CBM F-16

Eddie,
I built the F-16 with a YS (side exhaust). The engine is mounted just as the instructions recommend, using a 10x7 pusher prop and a Performance Specialties Ultrathrust muffler. The Ultrathrust muffler is supposed to give you an extra 2000 rpm and a whole lot easier to set up when compared to a tuned pipe. I ran 15% nitro and get 18,000 RPM when measured on the ground. I've only had three flights on my plane and I'm not impressed by the performance. I do notice a change in engine performance when in the air, only I haven't determined what it is or what could be causing the engine to sag. The F-16 looks incredible in flight and was very fun to build, but the performance was a let down. I plan to pull the engine and mount it on another plane to get more run time. Hopefully that will help. I also will strip the paint off the F-16 and repaint it, trying to reduce weight. The suggested painting method can easily get heavy. Over-all, its a real head turner. Email me if you need more information.

rkurlins@execpc.com
Bucshot is offline Find More Posts by Bucshot
Old Mar 29, 2002, 08:48 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
Larry - Hey man, you're not gonna out me on the ezone, are ya buddy?! Just kidding! I started out in glow, and I think I'll always at least want one or own one or two, though I sold all my glow stuff a few years ago to finance my sartup electric doo dads.

Bucshot - Thanks for the information. I'm a little dissapointed about the performance too. I figured they would scream. But then again, I always seemed to have problems keeping my glow motors running smoothly through a whole flight, the whole season. Some weeks I'd be on, and other weeks I'd be in the pitts screwing around with the engine. That's why I got into electrics (aside from wanting to do multi's). By the way, what was your all up weight? Does this include a full tank, and if not, what size tank did you use and what were the flight times? What sort of retracts do you have and did you have to add any lead for CG?

I'd really be into getting a glow engine with auto lean and ignition that didn't cost a fortune!

Thanks all- Ed
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2002, 04:05 PM
Jefferson, WI
Joined Jan 2002
18 Posts
Eddie,
Never weighed the thing, but when compared to other .45 sized planes, its heavy. I used the two round tanks recommeded in the instructions (1- 6oz and 1-8 oz). All my flights were under 7 minutes. The engine was still running when I landed but it was sucking fumes. The YS kicks out some power but not without a price. The retracts are the best part of the plane. I used Robart mechanisms, but the design is awesome. My first flight ended with me flopping this heavy beast on a grass runway, nothing bent, twisted or broke! The guys at CBM did an outstanding job designing them. However, having said that, the gear doors don't make it. I cut them off right away. I recommend doing that if you fly from grass. Lastly, I did add 3 maybe 4 oz of lead to the nose. I wanted to make sure it balanced a little nose heavy. My plane takes a lot of runway to get up, but it tracks very true, with little surprises. This is another reason why I want to strip the paint and re-do it. I think my plane is heavy because of the paint.

Your not thinking of going electric with this bird are you? (good luck if you do!)

On a side note, I'm currently building a mini version of my bigger F-16 by putting a Norvel .061 in the tailpipe of one of those Flying Styro F-16's. Having a great time doing it! I plan to paint the baby F-16 with the same paint scheme as its bigger brother, red and white, Edwards AFB chase plane!
Bucshot is offline Find More Posts by Bucshot
Old Apr 02, 2002, 05:10 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,503 Posts
Eddie P,

Your secret is safe with me.....
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Apr 03, 2002, 11:46 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
Larry- Thanks buddy, HA HA

Bucshot- I wasn't thinking of doing the F-16 in electric. I think the A-10 is the only really good e- conversion on two MiDi fans and Hacker B50's, but for a price. I do think the F-16 could be done in a pusher setup on electric, but I wasn't really looking at that.

I sold my YS .45 pumped engine about 8 years ago. The biggest glow mistake ever, that engine ran wonderful in a Great Planes P-51 kit (not arf) with retracts. They say you can go up to a .61 sized engine in the CBM kits. Seeing that you had to add so much lead in the nose with your setup, possibly the .45 or .50 would be the best bet. That being said, have you seen any other CBM models flying that have had better performance? How much weight did the paint add? I would figure a light coat of lacquer paint would add next to nothing, but the heavy clearcoat for fuel proofing may. I'm spoiled not having to worry about fuel proofing lately

You don't have a picture to post of your two Vipers do you?

Ed
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2002, 01:59 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie P
Larry - Hey man, you're not gonna out me on the ezone, are ya buddy?!
Got ya you Gas-Femer!!!!!!

JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Apr 23, 2002, 10:43 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie P
Larry - Hey man, you're not gonna out me on the ezone, are ya buddy?!
Eddie, how could you?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Apr 27, 2002, 12:44 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2002, 04:28 AM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
combat f-16

Well it certainly has a awesome building tape would like to see more of them done, i,m an old man and learned some neat stuff .I saw one at LA jet meet that flew well .An yes it has a very cool landing gear~Well at least its a pusher no fuel to clean off lol. Can it be Electricfied?
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:04 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
combat models

well i know the A-10 can be got me one
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:30 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
electric jet F-16

The F-16 has been electrified too, here is a link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+models+pusher
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2003, 12:04 AM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
I built a tank out of their F16
To glass and resin to smooth it out for a slick paint job
1 coat primer+1coat color+stipes+clear coat was to much for an
os65df engine. Turned out way to heavy.
Raider at Tiptonville, Tn has built both by the plans
F16 w/ys 45 runs 90-100
F18 w/ys61 pulls straight up and rolls out of site
DLYONS is offline Find More Posts by DLYONS
Old Oct 03, 2003, 09:59 AM
Tiptonville,Tn
Joined Sep 2003
8 Posts
Pics

here are some pics of the F-18...
not finished yet
Raider is offline Find More Posts by Raider
Last edited by Raider; Oct 03, 2003 at 10:01 AM.