HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2005, 06:31 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
Cool
Recommendations Please - 2M Full House ARF

My friend is trying to decide whether to go for a Spirit 2M or a full house 2M.

He has some flying experience with glow planes from years ago. Over the last 6 months he as been tossing a 1M R/E DLG and has become pretty comfortable with that.

He has a Zagi 5C slope plane. However the slope conditions have not been good, so he only has a couple of flights on that.

He just picked up an Aerobird electric parkflyer for a keep in the car fun plane. He gained control of that immediately.

Now he wants to go for a hi-start launched sailplane. I will take him up on my Spirit 2M RES for some test flights, but I think he is leaning more toward an aileron plane that will fly more like the glow planes he used to fly. Either a 2M aileron plane or a 2M full house.

He has a Hitec Flash 5SX radio. Fine for an aileron plane and adequate for a full house, so that won't be an issue. If he really gets into the full house planes, I am sure he will upgrade the radio some time in the future.

Budget is probably under $200 for the ARF alone.

I know the Spirit Elite. What other planes can you suggest that might fit this criteria?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Mar 26, 2005 at 06:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:43 AM
confused heli pilot
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Mar 2004
76 Posts
Try the spirit elite arf around $125. Would be good for a first full house 2M on a budget.
invrtd is offline Find More Posts by invrtd
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:32 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
Why just 2m? I like the NSP Laser 2m and the Enigma. But there are several more 2m full house sailplanes available from them. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Nov 2004
658 Posts
Art Hobby has the Velvia thats full house flaps/ail/rud/elev and is a 2m. They have the Boar 2m that was just in a thread recently, sounded like a good plane. All of the carbon d-box open rib 2meters from NSP and others are good flying airplanes. Maple Leaf in Canada makes a nice 2m molded and then the Laser that Wurts flys and I think soaring USA has some 2m moldeds...
I would advise on the basis of launch equipment available (ie winch or hi-start) and the flying field conditions (ie, grassy soccer fields, sod farm or unimproved rocky heavy weeds and grass)
Sounds like your friend has the skills to fly full house or atleast an aileron sailplane
Greg
fly1milehi is offline Find More Posts by fly1milehi
Old Mar 27, 2005, 01:07 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejett
Why just 2m? I like the NSP Laser 2m and the Enigma. But there are several more 2m full house sailplanes available from them. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

EJ
The laser 2M and hte Enigma are nice but out of the price range.

Any thoughts on the Renny?
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1185

or the

Ruby 2
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=64

Or the

Omega 2
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=62

Or perhaps this Standard ship

The Jade
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=67

Anyone have experience with these?
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 27, 2005, 09:30 PM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Nov 2004
658 Posts
I had a Ruby, nice kit, good wing sheeting, nice fuselage. I never finished it and sold it on ebay so I have no idea how it flew. My only thought is that it has to be heavier and stronger than the Renny and Omega. The Jade is the by the same manufacturer as the Ruby
Greg
fly1milehi is offline Find More Posts by fly1milehi
Old Mar 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,251 Posts
There is a nice looking Orion 2m in the For Sale forum for $200 with HS81MG servos included. Looks like it is in pretty good shape and is a bargain at that price.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351486

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old Mar 27, 2005, 10:24 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
I'd highly reccomend the Art Hobby Boar. Granted, I'm a little biased because I've been flying one for the past week. It flies just like a full house powered plane- make sure you keep its speed up. If you get enough altitude, it'll do some pretty decent rolls, loops, etc. Set up spoilerons with a computer radio, and you'll be able to slow it down enough for easy hand-catch landings. It's also a really quick build.
Jon
trident58 is online now Find More Posts by trident58