HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2005, 05:08 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,389 Posts
new light weight 3d plane from balsa products

hey anyone got one of these yet?

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/kits/cm3D30.asp

lemme know if u have one...how it flies..what you are using to fly it etc....

Think I feel a purchase coming on....

(I just can't decide which color!)
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2005, 05:51 PM
Ames, Iowa
Joined Oct 2002
2,495 Posts
Looks to be about the same weight as a Stella with a touch smaller wing. Not bad for an ARF...

I would go with blue
ryanl2006 is offline Find More Posts by ryanl2006
Old Mar 25, 2005, 06:11 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Glad they carry it now. i was going to scratch build myself one. That huge thread on it didn't get no where. Reading after Reading, they were still trying to figure out the price. Looking at the photos, they are the same planes. I'm going to order one in a few weeks. Just figuring out what color I want now..hehe

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:43 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaneze
hey anyone got one of these yet?

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/kits/cm3D30.asp

lemme know if u have one...how it flies..what you are using to fly it etc....

Think I feel a purchase coming on....

(I just can't decide which color!)
The discription says it is a 3 channel, rudder, elevator and throttle. If it does not have ailerons it cannot be a 3D plane.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is online now Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:48 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
From the pix it pretty clearly has ailerons.

Looks to be roughly the same area & weight as the Fliton Flubber, if maybe a bit lighter. If you can keep it at fifteen ounces as they claim, it should be a nifty flyer.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:10 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
Description is most likely wrong. it should be 4 channels. Aileron, rudder, elevator and throttle. The ailerons are actuated by 1 servo.

They should not include even include that motor system. I'd rather not fly with that 5:33 gearing. Calculated around 13oz of thrust on 2s pack. Description says 15oz AUW. I'd rather have 20oz of thrust..hehe

-Tomi
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:51 PM
gainesville FL
Joined Jan 2002
1,389 Posts
description is absolutely WRONG!!!

this plane is has.....throttle, ailerons, rudder, elevator....

why sell such a nice plane with a $9 dollar motor?....all I can say is balsapr probably has a bunch of $9 motors that it can't sell so they dumped them with this plane. (if it sells for 9 they probably got em for 4.5....)

the plane has carbon spars and carbon reinforcing the really thin balsa fuse....the weight of the covered airframe is possibly 6oz or so....(from other posts about a similar plane)

the only thing I don't like is the white cowl when everything else is transparent....now I'll I have to do some sort of candy paint scheme on the cowl to make it match up....
guyaneze is offline Find More Posts by guyaneze
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
That looks like a really nice model! I want one!
Keep'em Flying,
Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,890 Posts
I agree. It certainly looks to have ailerons. I also can't agree more about the motor. I hate when they include the brushed motor.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:08 PM
burr ridge illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,450 Posts
The motor is almost free for them and keeps the price of the plane high enough to make a profit, while making it seem like it's a good deal because it has the motor. By that I mean they likely won't sell it for $10 less without the motor even if you ask.

That's business!
echassin is offline Find More Posts by echassin
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:14 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
there is no way you can fly a fully symetrical wing with no dihedral at all on just rudder..

wonder how fragile the fuse is since it's thin wood..

-Tomi
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:18 PM
kentucky
Joined Feb 2004
624 Posts
i just saw where they have a 10 amp brushless sc for $29. and it weighs 7 grams, this looks very promising.

bobv
bob s is offline Find More Posts by bob s
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:22 PM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
Huh...lol...no ailerons...typo I think. I will have to get one of these really soon, they look really nice! I agree about the motor too! They know not many people are going to use that, they just want to make money off a cheap motor, Great airplane though, I think it is worth it!
Keep'em Flying,
Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:12 PM
Somers, CT USA
Joined May 2004
120 Posts
I picked up one of these at the WRAM show. It does have ailerons. It seems to be very light and strong and looks like it will do 3-D stuff well. I think it is a good value. All of the wing spars and leading edge are carbon fiber as are the fuselage longerons. The fusalage also has carbon fiber doublers behind the laser cut balsa parts in some areas. The motor, prop, and spinner appear to be GWS clones.

Mine isn't flying quite yet because I'm making some relatively minor (but time consuming) modifications. I'm using two aileron servos, made a different landing gear that mounts to the firewall (because the gear that comes with it looks really ugly) and I have built it so the wing and tail surfaces are removable so it can be packed flat in a small box and taken on trips. I'm going to use an AXI 220834.
Watty is offline Find More Posts by Watty
Old Mar 26, 2005, 05:46 AM
Joined Aug 2004
973 Posts
Watty by adding the second aileron servo you will be pushing the weight up a little more and I doubt you will be happy with the performance of the 2208/34 on it if the auw goes much over 10 oz
shawn
sbmon is offline Find More Posts by sbmon