HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

A Computer Radio Primer, Featuring the Hitec Optic 6

Michael Heer provides detailed review of the features of this new computerized transmitter with a large section written for the person new to computerized transmitters while being speed readable for the experienced pilot.

Splash

Model Types Supported:Aero/Glider & Helicopter
Model Memories:Stores 8 models
Modulation:PPM(FM) & Hitec QPCM
Transmission Shift:Positive & Negative
Includes:
Servos:4 HS-325HB ball bearing servos
Transmitter:Hitec Optic 6
Receiver:8 channel Hitec Supreme
Battery:600 mAH Airborne battery pack
Manufacturer:Hitec
Available From:Hitec

Introduction

The Hitec Optic 6 is an inexpensive 6 channel radio with basic computer radio programming features. Since it was so reasonably priced I am writing much of this review with the beginner in mind. For someone who is experienced with computerized transmitters, I would recommend looking at the paragraph headings and reading only the first sentence of those of interest in the: "Transmitter Basics" section below.

Features

• 6 channels
  • Aircraft/Sailplane & Heli modes
  • programmable shift
  • digital trims
  • buddy box capability
  • 8 model memory

Let's start out being totally honest. In beginning this review of the Hitec Optic 6, it was not love at first sight. Something about the appearance was a little off to me. I realized that it might have been shallowness on my part, that I might simply have been seeking another "trophy" transmitter to have in my hand. Regardless, at first sight, the sparks simply weren't there. Nevertheless, the two of us had been thrown together for this review and as I spent time with it, I grew to appreciate the many good features...

Trite though it may sound, that opening conveys my feelings about the Hitec Optic 6. It was a transmitter that grew on me as I played with it and worked my way through the instructions. I programmed the transmitter for a parkflyer, a simple glider, a full house glider and an electric helicopter.

• Feature set
  • General ergonomics of the transmitter - it was comfortable to hold
  • Programmable shift
  • Bright blue power on light
  • Feel of the main gimbals (joy sticks)
  • Digital trim
  • Instructional manual even though there were some mistakes
  • Price

Misses

• Everything wasn't perfect
  • Some of the switches felt cheap
  • Voltage warning buzzer didn't go off until down to 8.8 volts
  • Two firmware problems listed at the end of this review

Kit Contents

I got the standard Hitec Optic 6 transmitter/receiver package. In addition to the standard Optic 6 transmitter, it included a Hitec 8 channel Supreme receiver (flight preserver foam wrap included), a four cell 600-mAH battery flight pack, a wall charger, four Hitec HS-325HB standard ball bearing servos (included extra servo arms and mounting hardware), standard switch harness, 12" servo extension cord, frequency numbers and flag and an instruction manual. The transmitter could also be purchased with a Spectra module for ease in changing frequency or in a set with a QPCM 7 channel receiver. Those are both available upgrades over the standard unit I reviewed.

Servos and Receiver

I had recently used one standard size HS-325HB ball bearing servo of which there were four in this set. The servo had the torque (42 ounces at 4.8 volts) and speed (.19 seconds at 4.8 volts) I expected in a standard servo. However it also had something new with the Karbonite gears that were reported to be four times stronger than the ordinary white plastic gears found in most Hitec servos. I found the servo to be smooth operating with great centering in use as the elevator servo of a large glider.

The 8 channel Supreme receiver was used in my Bird of Time glider and functioned perfectly at a range of 1/3-1/2 mile when I caught a thermal and rode it until my Bird of Time was a spec in the sky. These were quality components! That said, I wished they had an option with two submicro HS56 servos and an Electron 6 receiver as I had more projects in need of those smaller components.

Transmitter Basics

This section is written with the first sentence stating what the transmitter has and then the rest explaining what that does. The experienced pilot can read the first sentence and go on to the next paragraph while the novice pilot can learn about these terms and features.

The transmitter can broadcast in POSITIVE or NEGATIVE shift.

In North America, Futaba and Hitec normally transmit their signal in negative shift while JR and Airtronics broadcast in positive shift. The Optic 6 allowed me to broadcast in either negative or positive so I could use receivers designed for either shift. I appreciated this versatility as I had receivers of both shifts.

Modulation can be set for PPM or QPCM.

PPM is the same as FM and is the setting most commonly used. QPCM is a specialized modulation used by Hitec that matches up only with hitec QPCM receivers. It is known as a failsafe system. If the receiver loses signal I could have it pre-selected to have the servos hold the last position they were in while receiving a signal or to a position I preselected if the signal was lost. Some have found this feature helpful in saving their planes.

EPA or Servo End Point Adjustment is programmable.

With non-computerized transmitters, a pilot normally gets 100% of servo motion by moving the controller, the joystick, the full range of motion. This sometimes gives more movement than is desired or less movement than is needed, for example, with a rudder. With EPA I was able to program the transmitter to move from 0 to 125% of the normal range of motion. This adjustment let me dial down the movement to help prevent over controlling the plane by too much movement, or getting more than usual movement as is sometimes needed.

Servo Reversing is available for all servos.

Servo reversing is available on almost all transmitters today. It allows a builder to install the servo into a plane and then if it is found the rudder is going left when it needs to go right, it is possible to simply reverse it electronically instead of removing the servo. This was available for all the servos, and made installing servos and linkage in planes much easier.

Subtrim settings were available for final set-up control.

Lets say I have built my plane, and as I hooked up the linkage from the rudder to the servo arm, I noticed the rudder was almost straight but not quite. Subtrim settings allowed me to program the servo to adjust a few degrees over and get the rudder straight by adjusting the servo arm's position in the "neutral" position. I was careful using this to get the mechanical linkage as close to neutral as I could, as using the subtrim for major corrections would often reduce the final movement of the servo in that direction and reduce control. Used properly it is a great assist.

Throttle Cut or Kill Button was there for the fuel powered planes.

The kill button worked with fuel powered planes and moved the throttle servo to a position to kill the motor when depressed with the throttle set for 50% or less.

Elevon Mixing was available for Delta wing or flying wing planes.

Elevon mixing allowed me to fly a flying wing or Delta shaped wing and the controls on the wing worked as both ailerons and elevator. Elevon mixing let me very simply control a Zagi or other flying wing.

V-Tail Mixing was available for v-tail planes.

V-Tail is similar to Elevon mixing -- 2 servos moved together make elevator action, and then 2 servos moving opposite produce the second movement -- in this case rudder (yaw). V-Tail mixing let me control rudder and elevator at the same time on a V-tail plane. (A v-tail plane has 2 tail surfaces mounted at an angle, instead of a flat horizontal and a flat vertical fin). While similar to elevon mixing, v-tail supports a model that has ailerons separate from the rudder/elevator tail combination; elevon supports a model that may or may not have rudders, but has no ailerons separate from the elevator/aileron combination.

Multiple Mixes for flaps and ailerons were available with the Optic 6.

Flaps could be adjusted as a launching aid, landing aid, or camber adjustment for different responses to different conditions. The Optic 6 allowed me to select the control I wanted up to a point. I could control the flap travel, flaperons (combined flaps and ailerons), camber control, preset landing function for set positions with flaps/aileron and additionally mixing with the elevator.

The Optic 6 had two TIMER functions.

The timers could be set to count down anywhere from 0 to 60 minutes with a beeping sound during the last ten seconds! It was also able to count up, measuring how long it had been operating since being turned on and that function can be easily reset.

Model Memory for eight different models.

I was able to program the transmitter to be perfectly set-up to fly eight different planes, gliders, or helicopters. I simple selected the program for the item I wanted to fly, and it went to that program, and remembered all of the programing I did to get it to perfectly match my control and set-up needs for that item. This is the key benefit of computerized radios.

The transmitter came with Digital Trims.

Trim Tabs are often used to make fine adjustments to a plane to get it to fly straight and level if the original set-up is just slightly off. The trouble with regular trim tabs is that every time I switched planes they had to be adjusted, and they easily got bumped when being transported. The advantage with digital trims is that they remember where I had them set the last time I flew that program. Switch planes and switch the model memory and the proper setting comes up on the digital trims! And they didn't move when the transmitter was off!

Programing for planes/gliders AND helicopters!

The optic 6 could be programmed for a power plane, gas or electric. I was able to program it for the special needs of setting-up and flying a glider from one set of software, or use the helicopter software program to fly a chopper instead. It was designed to handle all three types of flyers, each of which have very different programing and control needs.

Dual Rates for planes and also for helicopter controls.

Sometimes I wanted the movement of the joy stick to cause full movement of the control surfaces, for example, flying slowly, and sometimes that much movement is hard to control such as during fast flight. Dual Rates allowed me to determine how much control I had in two settings. Two switches on the top front of the transmitter let me change the amount of control with the slide of the switches.

Exponential could be programed into the joy sticks as well.

There were many times when I wanted small movements of the joy stick to create just a small movement on the control surfaces of my aircraft, while still having major movement when I moved the joy stick out further. Exponential allowed me to program in the degree of sensitivity I wanted for my major controls.

Ease of Programing the Optic 6

I programmed the Optic 6 for an electric plane, two gliders and a helicopter. I programmed the transmitter first for a simple glider (Bird of Time with rudder, elevator and spoiler) just by picking up the transmitter and playing with it. (I did first look at the servo sequence chart as the Optic Six has the servos in a different sequence in the receiver than my normal transmitter.)

Glider installation:

• channel 1 "right aileron" for the rudder
  • channel 2 for the elevator
  • channel 3 "Throttle" for spoiler, air brake on my Bird of Time.

For my GWS C-130 the receiver alignment was:

• channel 1 for both ailerons with a Y harness,
  • channel 2 elevator,
  • channel three throttle
  • channel 4 was rudder.

I was also able to program the transmitter for this plane without looking at the instructions. I was able to select the shift for my receiver, select the model number and put in the name, reverse servos as necessary and adjust the end point adjustment and set the subtrim. I had no experience programming Hitec computerized transmitters before this but I do regularly program a different brand. I found that with my experience these basic functions were very easy to do without even looking at the instruction manual. I used the 8 channel Supreme receiver that came with the set with my Bird of Time and I used a GWS receiver in my C-130 "Cargotrans Quad." I did use a GWS channel 17 crystal that matched up with the transmitter crystal.

I had recently assembled and reviewed a Trex helicopter and my friends helped me program my usual transmitter for the helicopter as part of my review. I decided to try and program the Optic 6 for my Trex. I reconnected the servos into the receiver to match up with the directions in the Optic 6 manual helicopter directions, as they sequence differently from my usual transmitter. They have an option for a standard swashplate or for a 120 degree CCPM swashplate. My Trex had a standard swashplate so that option was utilized. I just went step by step through the manual and I soon had the transmitter ready to operate my Trex. This was admittedly made easier as all of the physical linkages for control on the Trex had been physically centered in doing the original set-up with my other transmitter. Since my Trex had an Electron 6 receiver I just used the channel 17 crystal from the Supreme 8 and the positive shift to get this receiver to work with the Optic 6. Still with my newness to collective pitch helicopters I was a little nervous when I powered up my Trex with the Optic 6. It drifted back on the smooth tile floor so I used a little forward adjustment to the trim tab on the pitch control and it stabilized. I gave more power and it lifted off into a hover. I was pretty jazzed as that was the first complete programing I had done on any transmitter for a helicopter by myself, proving the effectiveness of very good instructions.

The fourth and final programming was for my Orion full house glider with rudder, elevator, ailerons with two servos and flaps with two servos. I used the Hitec manual as if I was a novice and I took pictures and videotaped the programing steps. Per the manual the servos plugged into the Supreme 8 in the following sequence:

Orion Glider Servo Assignment

• 1) right aileron
  • 2) elevator
  • 3) not used
  • 4) rudder
  • 5) left aileron
  • 6) both flaps with a Y connector

The manual did a very good job of directing me through the process and the video tape of the glider programming can be viewed below. I found the Optic 6 manual to be very good for programming planes/gliders and my electric helicopter.

Walk Through the Programming For an Orion Full House Glider

All programming took place using the buttons down around the screen at the bottom of the transmitter. Per the picture of this area, they have numbered the two edit buttons with a 1; the two cursor buttons with a 2; the two data buttons with a 3; the clear button is number 4 and the motor lock button is number 5 in the picture and the instruction manual. All programming started by pushing in the number 1 edit buttons. Doing this while turning on the transmitter gave access to some of the more specialized programming and pushing the two buttons after the transmitter is on gave access to the basic programming. In both cases after pushing the two buttons, I simply pushed one of them to go through the programs available.

When I first turned on the transmitter I briefly saw the screen with the model name that the transmitter was controlling at that time. Then it clicked over to show the transmitters voltage and the length of time it had operated since I last cleared it. If I cleared it after every charge this proved to be very useful information once I learned how long the transmitter would operate on a full charge.

Program Set 1 (Holding the edit buttons down while turning on the transmitter.)

If I held down the edit buttons as I turned on the transmitter, the first screen I saw was the model select screen. If I wanted to change the model that would be used, I simply pushed the cursor buttons to move to a different model. After that was done, I pressed up on the edit button (#1) and the model name of the program I selected appeared and could be edited if desired. To edit the first letter that was flashing I pressed one of the Data keys (#3) and the letter was changed. When I had the letter I wanted, I pressed on the right # 2 button and changed it with button # 3 and so on. There were only four letters so I spelled Orion in the computer by leaving out the last o for "ORIN."

I pressed the left button up again and got to the airplane/glider vs. helicopter software selection. I just pressed the cursor button to change from one to the other. The letters ACGL were displayed with the A flashing to represent aircraft/glider. I pressed the cursor and got Heli. WARNING! Changing model type erases everything done before so this should be a first step.

Pressing the up edit button I found the copy program, which wasn't needed for the sailplane and was skipped by pressing the left edit button a second time. Now I was on the shift screen. It was set to "N" for negative as the default setting, and since I was using the Supreme 8 that came with the transmitter, I left it on "N" as it was a negative shift receiver.

The next screen was modulation and PPM was flashing (that is the same as FM.) The other option was QPCM. I wanted PPM so I left it alone and moved on to the next screen. Here I found mode 2, the mode that affected what joystick controlled what. Since mode 2 was the standard used in North America and what I use I left it alone and moved on.

The next screen up was the timer and that could be reset for either of two functions. Since I was programing for a new plane, I skipped this screen and moved on to the next, where I found the REST screen. A reset to erase everything and set it all back at zero. I left that one alone too!

The final screen in this setting was Version 0 represented by Ver 0. It simply meant that I had version 0 computer firmware in my Optic 6.

Downloads

Program Set 2 (With the transmitter on push down the edit buttons.)

Program set 1 that I just completed didn't require that I had the plane's receiver on as there was no direct feed back necessary in that set of programs. For Program set 2 I needed feedback from my plane. I turned on the transmitter and then the receiver (the Supreme 8) in the Orion. This was where I started to program the control surfaces on the plane. With everything connected and on, I moved the aileron joystick and saw the right aileron, plugged into slot 1 on the receiver, was moving, but I had no response from the left aileron in slot 5 of the receiver. I pushed on both edit buttons and then held one edit button down to get to the aileron differential screen. It was marked ADIF Inh. The inh stands for inhibited. I pressed the clear button, (#4) and the screen changed to ADIF On. The aileron differential control was now on, and the aileron joystick moved both the right and left aileron! They were even moving in the correct directions!

I next tried to move the elevator with the right joystick, and found that it was moving upside down. I pressed the edit button until I got to the REV screen. I hit the cursor to move to number 2, the elevator function, and I pressed the clear button, #4, to reverse the servo direction. I checked, and my elevator was working properly. I tried the rudder and it was moving the reverse direction of what I wanted. I clicked over two spaces with the cursor to #4, the rudder function, and pressed the clear button, #4, and the rudder servo reversed.

I noticed that the rudder was not lined up straight. I pressed the edit button until I saw: STRM (subtrim) I clicked the cursor to move the arrow over to number 4, rudder. I pressed on the Data button until the rudder lined up nice and straight. The elevator and ailerons were lined up and needed no adjustment to the subtrim!

Next I could adjust the dual rates for the elevator or the rudder. They would both have been activated by switch 1 at the top of the transmitter, while dual rate for the ailerons would have been activated by switch 3. I only played with them to take pictures as I didn't plan to use Dual rate with my Orion.

Next I used the edit button to get to the exponential screen and set the aileron (function 1) and the elevator. (function 2) Despite the figure in the picture below, I actually settled on -20 for my exponential function for both settings.

I liked to use mix with the rudder and aileron as I found it helped the Orion hold a climbing circle in lift. I used a mix of 50% rudder to the aileron trim. Why and how to do this was nicely described on page 36 of the manual. It involved using switch 1 on the top left front of the transmitter. I was able to change this to another switch or set it so it was always on. With the switch on, the rudder moved with my aileron joystick, but the rudder could still be used with the rudder joystick. The mix could also be turned off when not desired with a switch.

With aileron, rudder, and elevator all under control I was left with controlling the flaps and any mixes that I might have wanted to use with them. The default control for the flaps was the right side slider that moved too easily. I could deploy flaps to slow down and/or land, or dial in reflex (moved the flaps slightly up) to cruise faster and get out of sink. The first work I did on the trailing edge was to program in some reflex in the ailerons and flaps. I went to the Camb (Camber) screen and programmed in a little camber for servo 1 and 5 (ailerons) and servo six the flaps. This camber was activated by pushing the #4 switch on the top right of the transmitter to the aft position. The middle position of that switch was the neutral position. Next I moved on to the Land (Landing) screen and programmed in down flaps for landing. This was activated by pushing the #4 switch to the front position. The camber or aft switch position gave reflex to the ailerons and flaps to cruise quickly out of sink and the aft position gave down flaps for landing. (The instruction manual described the #4 switch positions opposite of how they worked for me.)

Crow, also known as "Butterfly", could have been programmed into this transmitter. Crow causes the ailerons to go up a little and the flaps to deploy down and giving up trim with the elevator as needed for maximum braking. I didn't use Crow as I found my flaps supply sufficient stopping power and I like to keep full aileron movement in case I needed it for adjustments in landing. My Orion was completely programmed and ready to fly. Nevertheless I took a picture of the Crow screen for those that use it.

Downloads

Downloads

Actual Operation

This was a winter review so I didn't have evening daylight or good weather to get in as much stick time as I would have with a summer time review, but I got to play with the Optic 6 enough to pass on my opinions. I flew my helicopter, my GWS "C-130" Cargotrans Quad and my Bird of Time glider. On all three occasions the transmitter passed an initial range check with the antenna collapsed. The helicopter and the C-130 didn't really test the range of the transmitter in operation but my Bird of Time did catch a thermal and despite its wingspan of 118" I was lucky enough to get it specked out to a small dot in the sky and I had control throughout the flight. Thus, from a practical standpoint, the transmitter proved to have good range.

I found the feel of the joysticks to be acceptable, including the throttle control with my helicopter. I enjoyed the digital trims that allowed me to adjust the rudder of my Bird of Time to get it to track nice and straight in flight and have that adjustment automatically and permanently stored. I was surprised to find this feature on such a low priced unit and wondered if that was unusual or if I was just behind the times? Turned out I was behind the times but the competition's units sell for about $40.00 more.

The dual rate switches on the top front of the transmitter were plastic. They worked fine, but I am not sure how well they will hold up with a lot of use. The sliders on the side of the transmitter were opposite of what I would prefer. The one on the right operated very smoothly and required almost no touch while the one on the left was stiff to move and ratcheted. I wished the right was firmer as it moved too easily and the left slider, while stiff, stayed where it was until I intentionally moved it. I understand that these side sliders were set up this way intentionally but I didn't know why. I bumped the right one accidentally too many times to want it activated while flying.

Although I wrote out part of the programing sequence with my Orion full house glider I was not able to fly this glider with the Optic 6. Winter storms and other requirements in my schedule prevented any actual test flights for this review. However, I did get it completely ready for flight as described in detail above and partially shown in the video. I am certain that it will fly beautifully with the Optic 6 and that I will have complete control.

Power Supply, instruction Manual and Trainer

The transmitter came with a standard 600-mAH, 8-cell Nicad battery pack. On the first charge it ran the transmitter for 148 minutes of programing and operation. On the second charge it ran the transmitter for 162 minutes of operation. The instruction manual indicated that the low voltage buzzer would go off at 9.3 volts but it actually didn't go off until the transmitter was down to 8.8 volts. I wasn't flying on either occasion when the buzzer went off, but after checking with some other owners of the Optic 6, 8.8 volts appears to be the actual setting. I hope never to hear the buzzer while flying as I don't like to go that low with the voltage. It may work fine but....

Aside from the discrepancy on the voltage, I found one switch mis-located in the manual (the top right one) and direction was mis-described about camber and landing. Other than that I found only a few typos. I thought the instruction manual, for the most part, was well written and easy to follow. A little confusing with flaps and choice of multiple switches, but over all a very easy manual to use.

The Optic 6 has a trainer switch and a plug for a trainer cord. It could function as the master or buddy box with another Optic 6 as a training transmitter.

Conclusion

Although I liked the blue ON light, I didn't initially like the looks of the Optic 6. This was probably because of the handle, but the looks grew on me. I liked the ease of programming, even though I hadn't programmed a Hitec transmitter in years. I liked the feel of the joysticks, but I didn't like the feel of the right slider or the top three switches on the front of the transmitter. Everything I tried to program worked, although some of the flap mixing was a little confusing even with the instructions.

Other than the flaps, I found the instructions very good and easy to follow despite a couple of mistakes and several typos. Improved instructions are and will continue to be available on the Internet. There were still some corrections to be made.

The range with my Bird of Time was great and I enjoyed programming for my helicopter and seeing it work as that was my first time programming for a helicopter with collective pitch. I liked the ability to change between negative and positive shift, as I have both types of receivers. To top it off, Hitec offers an excellent 2 year warranty program. Still there were two potential problems that I became aware of during this review and even though I didn't experience them I felt it best to mention them as I do below.

Potential Problems with Version 0 firmware on the Optic 6

Model 1 Failures

I did not have any problem with the memory or function of "model 1" during this review of the Optic 6 with Version 0 software. However some people have had memory loss on model memory 1 and the screen came up reading AAAA. This has since been corrected with a software upgrade. However, should you have version 0, Optic 6 Hitec will upgrade your software for free if you experience this problem under warranty. To determine your Optic 6's software, hold the two EDIT buttons down as you turn on the transmitter and then click the down button once and the version of your software will show on the screen. Mine was/is VER 0.

Aileron Differential and High Subtrim Combinations

Reported lock up of ADIF, aileron differential, when using a negative or a high negative number setting in the Throttle subtrim. I have had no experience with this, although I used the ADIF with my electric GWS C-130 I needed no subtrim adjustment. With my Orion glider I didn't use the throttle channel at all and thus no subtrim adjustment. I understand they are working on corrections for this problem.

Final Thoughts

For its price and all that it could do, the Optic 6 was an excellent bargain! It is a versatile, capable entry level computer radio with lots of functions and a great price tag.

Discussion

Old Mar 27, 2005, 08:42 PM
Dizzying Heights
New Zealand, Southland, Invercargill
Joined Feb 2003
1,063 Posts
Great Review. I was looking for a new entry level computer radio that could handle 120 degree CCPM, I may have found it!
SargeNZ is offline Find More Posts by SargeNZ
Old Apr 02, 2005, 10:53 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,253 Posts
I got a number of e-mails concerning my review of the Optic 6 while I was on vacation this past week. One e-mail said it best about the only complaints I received: "This transmitter seems to do a heck of a lot for a "Basic" Computer transmitter, are you sure it is only a "Basic" computer transmitter? I would like to retract that statement. This is more then a basic computerized transmitter. It has more features and computing power then a person has any right to expect in a basic unit. Other then that change I stand by my review. Thanks for the nice e-mails guys, they are much appreciated. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:54 AM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
333 Posts
Optic 6

Greetings,
I am planning on buying an Optic 6 and wanted to review some reviews. I appreciate your review. The ease of reading and understanding the controls were excellent. My first computer radio is a Hitec Prism which I am selling because I have such a hard time programming it. Thus, I have not used it very much. With your review of the Otic 6 I feel that I will be able to program the radio for my planes. Thanks... a great job!!!
Joe
jed1d is offline Find More Posts by jed1d
Last edited by jed1d; Apr 27, 2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 14, 2005, 01:58 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
I agree the looks aren't that great, but... this thing has the 'bang for the buck' - I'm going for it based partially on your review! Looking at designing my own package at ServoCity.com.

Thanks again.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Jun 05, 2005, 12:56 PM
adicted to FFF...!!!
Caracas/Venezuela
Joined Jun 2005
828 Posts
if i buy an Optic 6 right now. witch sofware vercion will be in it?
luis104 is offline Find More Posts by luis104
Old Jun 05, 2005, 10:52 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,253 Posts
The Optic 6 has been a very good seller so if your supplier does average business they should be selling the updated software version by now. However if they haven't moved their stock.... O have no way to geive a better answer then that. you might try asking in the Multiplex Forum. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2005, 01:43 AM
Occasional Flyer
Iowa
Joined May 2004
210 Posts
Hi, I recently received my Optic 6 and was trying to check the version of software I had gotten in my unit, well I can not get to that "VER X" screen. Did they change the software to remove that screen or am I an idiot. Following that review link above and searching for the answer it seems a to be a simple task: Power OFF, Hold Both Edit Buttons Down, Power On, Release Edit Buttons, Press Down Edit Button to scroll to "VER X" screen. Here is what I get when I get to Edit Mode and scroll: M.SEL, REST, TIME, MODE, PPM, SFT.N, COPY, ACGL, ACGL(name), then back to M.SEL. So what gives? Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Marv
Marv829 is offline Find More Posts by Marv829
Old Dec 13, 2006, 03:51 AM
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Joined Jun 2006
100 Posts
I'm going to get one but I want to get a high ma battery. What connector does it use?
chevy43 is offline Find More Posts by chevy43
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:18 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Any of the 8 cell square packs at: http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...20&cart=498095

... will work for ya.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Jul 05, 2007, 10:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv829
Hi, I recently received my Optic 6 and was trying to check the version of software I had gotten in my unit, well I can not get to that "VER X" screen. Did they change the software to remove that screen or am I an idiot. Following that review link above and searching for the answer it seems a to be a simple task: Power OFF, Hold Both Edit Buttons Down, Power On, Release Edit Buttons, Press Down Edit Button to scroll to "VER X" screen. Here is what I get when I get to Edit Mode and scroll: M.SEL, REST, TIME, MODE, PPM, SFT.N, COPY, ACGL, ACGL(name), then back to M.SEL. So what gives? Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Marv
Same here, I cant see the VER XX. So I dont know what I have.
egens is offline Find More Posts by egens
Old Jul 06, 2007, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2007
24 Posts
I got this email from Hitec. For those who cannot see the version, here is the answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello
If the version is not displayed you have the most current.

Thank you,

Martin S.

Hitec RCD LLC.

Phone (858) 748-8440 x 314

Fax (858) 859-2618

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 9:35 PM
To: service@hitecrcd.com
Subject: version hitec optic

Hi there,

How do I check version for Hitec Optic 6? I wanted to make sure I donít have the defective version. I tried holding the two edit buttons, start the transmitter and check for version but there is no VER XX anywhere. I think my Tx was built on 2005/08.
egens is offline Find More Posts by egens
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:52 AM
Iranair
Joined Aug 2007
585 Posts
Great Video's

Hi

I hope that until now you have got alot of + feed back.

If you ask me I loved your Video's.

I am a new beginer, and i have bought 2 Micro recievers(they are from chekoslovakia i think). anyway they work fine(with my servo's), but the
motors doesnt work properly.

What am i doing wrong?

when i turn on the ESC it beeps acouple of times more than it sould.
I have tried to program my Hitec optic 6 for flying wings, and for park fly.
on noon of them motors are working right now.

Could you please make a video about how you program an airplain with motors....

Or is it because my ESC is .... :-(
thank you in advance

Solisab
SoliSab is offline Find More Posts by SoliSab
Old Sep 21, 2007, 07:53 AM
Iranair
Joined Aug 2007
585 Posts
Great Video's

Hi
I need your help
I hope that until now you have got alot of + feed back.

If you ask me I loved your Video's.

I am a new beginer, and i have bought 2 Micro recievers(they are from chekoslovakia i think). anyway they work fine(with my servo's), but the
motors doesnt work properly.

What am i doing wrong?

when i turn on the ESC it beeps acouple of times more than it sould.
I have tried to program my Hitec optic 6 for flying wings, and for park fly.
on noon of them motors are working right now.

Could you please make a video about how you program an airplain with motors....

Or is it because my ESC is a bad one

.... :-(
thank you in advance

Solisab
SoliSab is offline Find More Posts by SoliSab
Old Sep 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
early retired & loving it
USA, AZ, Kingman
Joined Aug 2005
1,229 Posts
Chances are you have the throttle reversed.
Be sure to test without the prop as you can cause damage if the motor starts suddenly.

Put the throttle to FULL and wait for 4-5 seconds. This should arm the ESC and lowering the throttle should start the motor.

If this works, Turn everything off and reverse channel 3 per the manual.

That should take care of it.
bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso