SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2005, 02:47 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,397 Posts
Sound

Anyone familiar with the Robbe 8300 ($24) adjustable foghorn? Can it be adjusted to sound anything like a regular ships horn?
RAM makes a diesel w/horn RAM40 ($50) and a Tug horn RAM82 ($40). How do they sound?
Want to get a ships horn sound and Robe 8300 looks lowest cost and adjustable. Don't need diesl sound.
Other low cost ideas? Building a Billing Calypso and a tug - would like horn on tug and horn and bell on Calypso.
Thanks.
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:26 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
I have a Robbe foghorn unit in one of my tug models. It is a single tone horn, not a true two tone diaphone foghorn (like lightships and lighthouse have). You can adjust the pitch of it. The Robbe horn is one of the better sounding horns. I have a Ram Diesel/horn unit in another tug, and I've heard the Ram Tugboat horn. The Robbe unit is better than the Ram ones.

IIRC the Ram Tug horn is a digital recording. When you activate the horn, you get three horn blasts, all the same length. You cannot give the correct horn signals with this unit.

On the Ram Diesel/horn unit and the Robbe unit you CAN give the correct and proper whistle signals. Just put a lever switch in one lead from the battery to the sound board. The lever switch is activated by a servo.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:40 AM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
Sound

Maybe you fellows could help me id this.Looks like a engine/horn sound chip but darned if I can get it to do anything.

Scott
ThrustTugKeith is offline Find More Posts by ThrustTugKeith
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,397 Posts
Bob,
Thanks much for the info - Robbe it is.
Thanks too for always helping everybody on this Scale forum with accurate and detailed prototype info! You're a great resource for us all.
BTW, see this post and comment if you want when you stop laughing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=120
DanL
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:16 AM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
Scott,

That 's one of the Ram Diesel/horn units. The two black wires, from the black shrink wrap, are connected to the motor leads. The twisted red & black wire is connected to the battery. The switch is attached to a servo, the servo arm contacts the lever, making the horn sound. The black shrink wrap device, which is connected to the motor, senses the change in motor rpm, and revs faster or slower depending on the throttle setting.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:26 PM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
Sound

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN, BOB!!! I was looking all morning for it on the web.
This will be way cool when hooked up!

Scott
ThrustTugKeith is offline Find More Posts by ThrustTugKeith
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:49 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Thank from me too, Bob. I think I have one of those units stashed away for retrofitting a trawler -- though mine may be diesel only. I already had a Robbe Horn unit. I agree with the ability to do horn signals. Also, you can use a single servo to work two switches, as I did with "left" activating the horn and "right" activating another device such as the searchlight on my trawler for flashing light signals. When I do retrofit the trawler, it will also get an electronic speed control with reverse and new battery pack. Right now, though it is considered "furniture" by my better half, as it has a proud place on the mantle and her name.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 25, 2005, 03:39 PM
KC8WPF
Joined Sep 2004
3,779 Posts
Pictures of the Robbe unit in my USCGC TAMAROA model. The first picture is a general layout of the system. The second one shows the unit in a plastic box; the box is from an Atlas N scale locomotive, and keeps the unit secure and dry. The third photo is the servo mounted switch; the top switch is the horn and the bottom switch is for the boats fire pump. The fourt picture shows the poteniometer used to adjust the tone. The ast picture shows the wire connections. Use the largest speaker you can, it provides better tone. I have a 4" speaker in TAMAROA. I have the same system witha 2" speaker in another tug, and the sound isn't as good.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 04:28 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,379 Posts
Any wiring and circuit diagrams for making your own sound chip?
I have several sound bytes that I would like to run on one of my boats, but I figured I had to have some way to make it repeat over and over to sound continuous.
One is a deisel sound, and the other is a standard Ferry boat coming to dock horn sound byte.

There is no portable windows media player available for the wav files.

Any Ideas?

I keep looking for the $19 dollare Mp3 players and they have yet to appear.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 25, 2005, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,397 Posts
Umi -
Not $19, but only $28 and it plays WAV files too. Need to add amp and spkr, but those are cheap and readily available.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_t...17#description

Also for $22:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_t...94#description
Old Mar 25, 2005, 05:37 PM
McAlester, OK
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Here's another idea. burn whatever sound on a mini CD and play it back.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/408...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
ol'guy is offline Find More Posts by ol'guy
Old Mar 25, 2005, 06:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,586 Posts
And here is an amplifier:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...-30&type=store
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:08 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Ol' Guy -- is that a standard size player? I guess if you can fit a 6" speaker in your hull, the player would fit.

Pete G
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:26 PM
McAlester, OK
Joined Feb 2005
82 Posts
Well P.J., a standard CD is about 4 5/8" dia. and most of these don't need the case to be much larger than the CD. So I would say it's about 5" dia. for the whole thing. enlarge the photo on the page and see what you think.
ol'guy is offline Find More Posts by ol'guy
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Looks about right. I want to build the Mt. Washington and get some ragtime piano music and crowd noises. Already have the steam engine and steam whistle units from RAM but have been pondering the music for some time. Mt Washington's hull is fairly narrow between the paddlewheels and the system should be kept low for balance considerations, but it looks as if it would fit fine. And if it doesn't, for $15.00 + shipping and handling I could always use the player to listen t omusic -- what a concept!!!

Pete G