Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2005, 02:13 PM
Overland Park, KS
Joined Dec 2004
80 Posts
Creative ways to attach battery?

I'm running out of zip-ties so I better come up with something to keep my battery secure duing flight and also make it easy to remove for charging and storage. The picture shows where it needs to be mounted for the CG. I used a velcro strap once, but it covers up the ESC's too much for cooling. Plus the strap makes it too wide at the nose for the canopy.

My only idea is to have a fiberglass plate extend towards the front from the two carbon rods. As it is now a plate would be sandwiched between the Rx and battery and not allow any room for a velcro strap. I guess it would be possible to have that fiberglass plate sit lower to allow for a strap. Although I think straps look messy. My only other idea is to have a that fiberglass plate have some extensions that will go down on the side of the battery and allow for a second plate(s) to let the battery rest there with the aid of a rubber band maybe.

Any thoughts on a simple "shelf" to hold the battery?

Thanks!
Raceit is offline Find More Posts by Raceit
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2005, 02:54 PM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Here is mine:

and

Basically, I have two long fiberglass rods tighten to the base of the frame. There are two pieces of velcro glued to the end of the rods. The battery also has a piece of velcro. Then I just attach the battery to the two rods. Before I did this, my battery tray was always broken whenever there was a hard landing. Now it's very good IMO. I've never broken the battery support. Battery's never failed off even with very very serious crash

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Mar 24, 2005, 03:07 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Heres mine. Carbon fiber plate from a deceased helicopter. Velcro underneath. I was using that industrial locking stuff, but battery was too hard to remove.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Mar 24, 2005, 03:10 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
27 Posts
Battery mounting ...

This is how I did mine with using flybar rods ...
enigma is offline Find More Posts by enigma
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:06 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceit
SNIP
Any thoughts on a simple "shelf" to hold the battery?

Thanks!
The attachment shows a simple shelf I built on the lower fore-and-aft CF rods, using very thin CF "planks". I put the ESCs on this shelf. As regards battery retention, I have two small velcro patches on the Like90 CF battery plate, with matching pieces on my batteries. This provides horizontal location only (I don't trust velcro in the vertical direction). I then have a very narrow strap around the battery and plate, which just has to look after vertical location. It was great to get rid of rubber bands and zip ties!
Tonystott is online now Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:32 PM
Coventry
Joined May 2004
268 Posts
I did a very similar thing to these above.

When I broke the battery tray on my pic, I stuck two pieces of windscreen backing metal ( long, thin 4mm, flat 1mm very good stuff) to the side of the frame sticking out the front. Then I managed to get some hollow plastic tubing (5mm or so). I cut the tubing into a kind of grid so that the tubes would slide on the wire on the heli frame. I used an elastic band to attach the battery to the grid.

Sounds complicated, but is really simple, it is nice because it will all just slide off. One band is used around the lot for the rubber friction to keep it all in place easy on, easy off, and I don't have any problems with teh battery shifting.

After the comments above I am tempted to see if I can't make it look somewhat better.
davidcollins001 is offline Find More Posts by davidcollins001
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:35 PM
MI
Joined Jan 2005
611 Posts
My tray to balance with a direct drive tail : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347339
uav51 is offline Find More Posts by uav51
Old Mar 25, 2005, 08:43 AM
Overland Park, KS
Joined Dec 2004
80 Posts
Those are all really nice ideas! I think I may try enigma's design first and see how that works. That way I will be able to keep the canopy where its suppose to be and trim the underside of it for the battery.
Raceit is offline Find More Posts by Raceit
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:40 AM
Raptor 50 + TRex 450
Norwich UK
Joined Mar 2005
519 Posts
Here's mine. It looks bulky but doesn't weigh too much and its perfect for the C of G. It is hinged on one side - just cut the cable tie and it swings down to allow you to remove the battery.
mazakari is offline Find More Posts by mazakari
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:00 PM
Logo Power!
Toronto, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
623 Posts
Here is how I did it on my Piccolo V2 with DD tail. I couldn't mount it under the receiver cause it would become too nose heavy.

WeatherB is offline Find More Posts by WeatherB
Old May 18, 2005, 01:08 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
I took some light gauge aluminum and bent it into a "U" shape. The battery slides in and out nicely and it protects the battery from my lack of flying.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old May 18, 2005, 01:28 PM
Poole, Dorset, UK
Joined Mar 2004
486 Posts
Raceit

I haven't seen them for ages - But you used to be able to get 'Un-Lockable' Tie wraps

ie reusable
SMaric is offline Find More Posts by SMaric
Old May 18, 2005, 02:30 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Hey, Ive actually got some of them, quite handy (even though I havent used any yet...LOL )

I got them from Maplins (large elctronics chain in the UK) quite cheap.

If you are looking for some, just go into an electronics shop and ask for zipties or whatever, they should have some.

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old May 18, 2005, 03:00 PM
shrubbery-challenged
france
Joined May 2004
103 Posts
here is mine:

a simple but artistic battery holder made of pcb

sebz
sebz is offline Find More Posts by sebz
Old May 18, 2005, 03:27 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Looks nice!
How thick is that stuff? I got some which is between 2 and 3mm, quite hard to cut. What did you cut it with? Im just using a dremel, file and a hacksaw...LOL

Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole