HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2002, 06:33 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
2 dollar zagis...want one?

I made a zagi (well sort of) a while a go. It has a 50 inch wingspan.
speed 400
7 cell fma batt.
18 oz auw!
and 2 little JR servos

I just got the servos today from my friend nick. I put them in, got it all set up. and then my dad and I went outside and tried to fly it. let me restate that...WE FLEW IT!! My 2 dollar plane actually flew!!! it is faster, bigger, and lighter than the zagi. and it only costs 2 dollars and some foam cutting wire. I will give as much info as i can and wing templates if anyone wants to try out my design. I will try to post some pics if i can get my friend to take them with his digital cammera. This thing is a really cool and cheap plane. on the 2nd throw i had it trimmed out and flying. It turns a little to fast though, i will see if i can put some differential in it though. it is made out of EPS foam. It is like EPP but cheaper. you can get a 10 by 4 sheet of it at home depot for 3 dollars. yo ucould get 3 planes out of a sheet.
Gonflyin01 is offline Find More Posts by Gonflyin01
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2002, 07:48 PM
La Grange, Georgia, United States
Joined Nov 2001
797 Posts
Don't tease us . . . . post the plans! Congrats on a successful flight.
emoone is offline Find More Posts by emoone
Old Mar 28, 2002, 08:47 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,240 Posts
No Doubt! Steve just whacked my prize ZagNutz in "full contact" flying and I need something new to fight back with!

Never seen so many parts come flutterin' down from about 150 feet!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Mar 29, 2002, 06:44 AM
Iowa
Joined Oct 2001
595 Posts
i got the foam, i got the hot wire, i don't got the plans.

count me in.
ronnath is offline Find More Posts by ronnath
Old Mar 29, 2002, 09:25 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,932 Posts
Friendly reminder

When discussing your new craft, I would refer to it as a "flying wing" as ZAGI is a registered name and the Theissen brothers are rightfully a bit sensitive about trademark infringement. At this point I would consider coming up with an original name for your design.
I know. It's kinda like everyone calls facial tissue a Kleenex but I remember an issue about this a while back.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 29, 2002, 09:47 AM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
well actually i call it the Ragi...my friend came up with it... It looks like a zagi, and my last name stars with a R. therefore RAGI. But if i said RAGI who would know what i meant?

I have the wing templats but i need to scan them in the computer and post them... I will try to do so with in the next few hours. The roll rate on this is spectacular!

the fins and evelons are made from the card board of my FMA Razor box.

The elevons are 22" long
At the root they are 1 inch.
At the tip they are 1.5 inches.

The fins are 4 inches high, and 6.5 long.
just cut them out, and if you would like a little curve in them (mostly for looks) do so.

I covored the whole thing in clear packing tape, and decorated it with 4 dif. colors of electrical tape. I have a 14 inch spar along the boddom right on the cg. And i have a strip of fiber tape running the whole length top and boddom.

I will post pic's of the airfoils later.

I will also fly again later and give you as many details as i can.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:39 AM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
the whole plane takes 4 hours start to finish!!!!

Before i post the airfoil pics you will need

1 inch thick EPS foam.

cut it 26 inches long

a root of 12 inches

tip of 5 inches

with the sweep of the wings 9 inches

Cut a RIGHT and LEFT one of theese.

i will get to work on getting the airfoil posted when my dad has a chance to help me.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 01:48 PM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
thanks for all the info, I'm glad that people are scratch building zagi's or ragi's, or flying wings. It seems like the logical way to do it. I can tell you right now that if I ever want to get a zagi or ragi, I'm definatly scratch building mine, there is no way I would ever pay 100 dollars for a couple of foam wings, seems like a rip off to me, I mean give me a break, it's not like the zagi is a break thru design or anything, thank goodness for fan foam, 25 dollard builds 10 zagi's.

ryan d.
ryan d. is offline Find More Posts by ryan d.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 01:58 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
i have the airfoils ready to put online. i dont know how though. I made the foil a while ago on Wing Master (CAD)
I have a FMA RAZOR also, dont get me wrong, i love it to death! but i would rather make a bigger, faster lighter one for litirally 1 50th of the original price! I will keep trying to post pics.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 02:48 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
When you post a new post you can se an icon that sais "attach file" or something like that, click on that one and follow instructions...
the button is just below the window your typing the text in...

looking forward building your wing!

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old Mar 29, 2002, 06:55 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
i tryed that...i guess my file is not a jpg or whatever... i will try to convert it to a jpg though. I flew it again at our park (my field has standing water) It is a fast little thing. But it lands at about 10-15 mph. im sorry to keep yo uall i nsuspence but i have never had t opost pictures of it before. I plan on makeing about 5 more t osell t omy friends. i'm selling them for 20 bucks though They dont know the actual cost! If any of you have wingmaster 98 i can tell you the foil to use and yo ucan post it. if not i will keep on trying!
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:01 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
glad to see another getting into the scratch built foamies.. and i can understand why the professional builders are upset .. when we can make a plane for 2.00 instead of 100.00 + i know i have thoroughly enjoyed my bluecore planes and will continue to design and build.. .. not knocking kits.. just bought a GWS zero today.. .. Have fun flying and building.. makes the plane more valuable to me this way .. Take Care and Keep Em Flying.. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Mar 30, 2002, 09:32 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,240 Posts
uh..... 1" thick? Are you sure? I hotwired two ZagNutz wings from foam I got from Lowes, but it was 2" thick. A piece of that (10' X 2' X 2") was like 10.99 or something close.

Just wondering...

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Mar 30, 2002, 02:49 PM
Toledo Ohio, USA!
Joined Dec 2001
647 Posts
I got a 8' by 4' shees 1.5" think for 5 dollars at home depot. The foil is 1 inch thick. If yo uwant to have some leway yo umay want 1.5 inch foam.
Old Aug 04, 2002, 07:52 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Goneflyin is there anyway you can email the templates? kushal_2@yahoo.com

Thanks
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22