SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2005, 08:51 PM
teaching others to fly
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Joined Dec 2004
198 Posts
Alert
Jerbear's Simple Wing Part 2

I thought I'd start a new thread so we didn't get in trouble with the mods...since he did leave a warning.

You can find the original thread at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281606

Now you too can enjoy this versatile aircraft from the versatile designer and his friends, Jerbear.

Thank you, your applause is appreciated.
Dulie is offline Find More Posts by Dulie
Last edited by Dulie; Mar 23, 2005 at 09:10 PM. Reason: changed the title to reflect the standard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2005, 11:11 PM
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
sorry guys

darn 56k i never reloaded the page, I forgot, it wont happen again.

So where are all the new mod's, wings, motos. Please see what you think of the motor with more RPM and let me know if should get sume? As for the batteries.
Im going to use The E-tec lithium Polymer 11.1V. I hope they are ok?

Dave
ninjinscreed is offline Find More Posts by ninjinscreed
Old Mar 24, 2005, 06:34 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Dave: The G4046 is decent, but the DCM-189 is apparently still out there. I've seen some recent posts around where guys have found them for a buck or less, still. Sure, they will be drying up, but so will the G4046 someday. After all, it was out there first, and these ARE surplus motors. Hopefully someone will take notice and order up some more from Johnson, but it will probably that 100,000 pieces to get the pricing where it needs to be. Even GWS has trouble with those volumes.

There seems to be no shortage of interesting motors out there. Who knows where the next gem will come from.

As for batteries, I'd suggest the 830-880mah LiPo's as the best value, weight and duration for most of the designs we currently work with.A 2s pack weighs ~44g, and can handle 10A loads. In my estimation, these replaced my old Etec 1200's that weighed 54g, and could almost handle 10a, with very similar duration.

Jer and I talked last night, and will probably working some on the delta design/plans some more this week. We played around with the Simple Wing and some Delta versions all last summer, so be patient
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 24, 2005, 04:43 PM
Joined Sep 2004
40 Posts
batteries

Well they where being used ( E-TEC 1200 11.1V ) by some of the other guy's in the the start of the last thred, so thats what I got, need to get up the money for some better battries.
Weight is the biggie on any one of the's simple's, then it comes to the controls, and there throws?
As for new plans..Yeah, I know plans will be coming soon, it take time to get things working right. Sorry didn't mean to rush any one.
I am working on some thing a little out of the box . Its still a simple in that its still a wing tipe, but really looks cool I think all may like it.
Now do I have this right, if I were to go to a 4X3 or 4X4 prop I really need to go to a 10AMP ESC? E-Tec 1200 bat's.
Right now I have a 5AMP MAX is 8-AMP"s thats its ok for the 3X3 or 3X4 props,but I do have some 4X3's coming in the mail, and don't want to fry the 5AMP ESC I have now.
Some one was only drawing a max of 7AMP on this set up,(E-TEC 1200, J250 or G4046 , 3X3 or 3X4 porps. So thats what got. Man I hope I didnt miss under stand..
Dave
ninjinscreed is offline Find More Posts by ninjinscreed
Old Mar 25, 2005, 06:59 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
I do believe that Jers' SW will solve one of my "junk in the trunk " travel problems ... no tips of course ...glue those on when I go fly ... Thanks again Jer !!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:13 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
You could always use rare earth magnets. That way you could detach them for travel and just pop them on to fly. I just had 8 magnets arrive in the mail and I am going to try them out on some of my wings. I guess I will need two magnets per wingtip in order to keep them facing the right way while flying? I may start out with one per wing tip and if they get twisted around, I can add another one.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Mar 25, 2005, 07:18 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Magnets ... that's an attractive idea.....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 10, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:12 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I just thought of a way to use just one magnet for each wing tip. I will put the magnet in the center of the wing with a piece of metal (washer or something similar) on the wing tip. Then I will embed a bamboo skewer (not the whole thing!) into the wing (front and back of the magnet) with a little bit sticking out to go into the winglet (make a small hole in the winglet. The bamboo skewers will do the work at holding the winglets in position while the magnet holds the winglet against the wing. Whad'ya think? Never know until you try. Should be a piece of cake to do also........longer to tell how to do it then to actually do it.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Mar 25, 2005, 09:54 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
You could always use rare earth magnets. That way you could detach them for travel and just pop them on to fly. I just had 8 magnets arrive in the mail and I am going to try them out on some of my wings. I guess I will need two magnets per wingtip in order to keep them facing the right way while flying? I may start out with one per wing tip and if they get twisted around, I can add another one.
Daddy-O

I've use excess CDROM magnets
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2005, 10:27 PM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
rock... how do you get the bell off a CD motor??

Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Mar 25, 2005, 11:38 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,558 Posts
If you look at anyof the DIY cdrom sites like Go BL or Slofly you'll see the bell (can) and the stator is just held together by the magneticforce. You just pul the prop shaft (the can is attached to it) off the stator. The kits usually give you 15 magnets and you only need 12 to the rest are spares.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2005, 01:02 AM
Tenino WA.
Joined May 2004
1,195 Posts
rock +++ I meant the "original" cd drive motor it's self before mod.. get the bell off the same way (pull) ???

Jack
CRASHED AGAIN is offline Find More Posts by CRASHED AGAIN
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:32 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Some of them have a snap ring. Most are just CA'd or locktite'd together... hammer and punch! (I got scolded at 11:30 lat night for that action )

Daddy-O, I was thinking if you notched the wing and winglet, a single pair of magnets or one magnet and a washer may work. I know there's probably some info over in the wings forum... But I never venture there.

I was also thinking that by gluing on some smaller winglets, the full winglets could be velcro'd outside of them...

I have the Simple Delta dimensions. Hope I feel better today to draw them up.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:53 PM
Build, Fly, Crash..Repeat
St. Peters, Mo. USA
Joined Mar 2005
975 Posts
Hey Gene and Jerbear.

Glad to see that you are keeping the simple wing thread alive. I came across a bundle of green FFF that a friend had in his garage. It is 4mm thick but very stiff and light weight. Im cutting a simple wing from it now. I havnt seen anyone using green and was wondering if you guys heard of any results from it good or bad. Ill post my findings as well.
Thanks for the great plans and thread.

Peace and good flying.

Tony
Wingman65 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman65