HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2005, 04:10 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Some help for a beginner, please

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, though I have been reading through it for a long time. I tried flying R/C once before with disasterous results. I bought an RTF Megatech P-51D Mustang. The instructions were bad, and the thing was a brick. So I got rid of it after crashing it enough times to be really dejected.

But now after spending time here, I'm ready to try again. I would like some help with getting the right combo choosen. After careful consideration and reading, here is what I have in mind:

In the mail:

Hobby Lobby Eastbourne (i've built guillows before, so I have a little experience with wood). I'm planning on this being my first flying plane.

Already Have:

Hitec Optic 6 (More radio than I need right now, but )
FMS simulator (got 224 minutes of practice and some spectacular crashes)
GWS Bf 109 (for later)
Flying styro Stuka (for much, much later)

Here are the innards I have chosen for the Eastbourne:

Battery: Thunder Power LiPo 7.4V 830mAH 39g
Servos: GWS Pico STD Sub Micro Servos 5.4g each
Receiver: GWS R6N II 6 FM Rx 8.2 g
Motor: SPEED 280 6V MOTOR
Gearbox: GEARBOX FOR 280, 1:4.09
Prop: APC 10-7 SLOWFLYER PROP

Any advice/help/recommendations at all that you can provide would be great. I'm trying to keep things light and cheap, yet reliable. Thanks in advance!
gandharvas is offline Find More Posts by gandharvas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:13 PM
Joined Apr 2004
776 Posts
I would not suggest starting out with a balsa airplane. Even though the Eastborne is a pretty stable flyer, you are still bound to do some crashing, and balsa is harder to repair than styro.

Look at the Mountain Models Magpie and get both wings.
WolfeWind is offline Find More Posts by WolfeWind
Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:51 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Do you have anyone available to help you out for the first few flights?
If you do a balsa plane should be fine. If not you're bound to spend a good amount of time doing repairs until you get the hang of things. I'm not a big fan of foam planes myself although they do have their place, especially for people hoping to teach themselves. The Magpie Wolfewind suggested does look like one of the most suitable planes available at the moment. However as you already have the Eastbourne on the way why not try to find someone to help you out with your first flight even if they were only to trim the plane for you and then hand over the transmitter.
You can use RC-Groups to do a search for people living near you providing they filled in their location on their personal profile. Why not send a PM to a couple of them. I'm sure someone will be happy to give you a hand. Most flyers are more than happy to help someone new into the hobby.

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Mar 23, 2005, 05:57 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfeWind
I would not suggest starting out with a balsa airplane. Even though the Eastborne is a pretty stable flyer, you are still bound to do some crashing, and balsa is harder to repair than styro.

Look at the Mountain Models Magpie and get both wings.
Thanks, I will peruse their website.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:00 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1
Do you have anyone available to help you out for the first few flights?
If you do a balsa plane should be fine. If not you're bound to spend a good amount of time doing repairs until you get the hang of things. I'm not a big fan of foam planes myself although they do have their place, especially for people hoping to teach themselves. The Magpie Wolfewind suggested does look like one of the most suitable planes available at the moment. However as you already have the Eastbourne on the way why not try to find someone to help you out with your first flight even if they were only to trim the plane for you and then hand over the transmitter.
You can use RC-Groups to do a search for people living near you providing they filled in their location on their personal profile. Why not send a PM to a couple of them. I'm sure someone will be happy to give you a hand. Most flyers are more than happy to help someone new into the hobby.

Aidan
Aidan, thanks for the reply and help. There is a local club that I could hit up for info, and there used to be a guy down the street that flew, so maybe I can try button holing him, otherwise, it looks like I am the only Pueblo, CO-boy on the board, or at least the only one that listed my GPS coordinates.

Does that sound like a good set up for the Eastbourne?
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:04 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharvas
Aidan, thanks for the reply and help. There is a local club that I could hit up for info, and there used to be a guy down the street that flew, so maybe I can try button holing him, otherwise, it looks like I am the only Pueblo, CO-boy on the board, or at least the only one that listed my GPS coordinates.

Does that sound like a good set up for the Eastbourne?

Looks like Mountain Models is just west of me (I'm not so alone afterall), maybe I can drive out there and see what I can see.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:11 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Eastbourne setup

All looks good except for the RX. I would suggest something with more reliability like the Berg DSP5. Mine has been flawless. Glitching and distance is not a concern at all.

Going to Mountain Models is a great idea. Everybody has great things to say about the Magpie and the SmootheE and Switchback have a tremendous following as well.

Good luck!

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Mar 23, 2005, 06:25 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
I did a search on Hobby Lobby for the Eastbourne, and the only plane/kit I came up with was for a Speed 400 motor. I´m afraid that if THAT is the plane you have, you´ll need to replace the Speed 280 with a 400 to get it to fly at all.

That´s not a big problem though, Speed 400 motors and simple but reliable gearboxes are cheap. You´ll also need an ESC for the motor which can handle 10-12A.

The kit looks good from what I could see, should make a beautiful plane since you have experience with Guillow´s models. Do get help at least for the first few flights IF you decide to start with this plane, and consider getting a more suitable trainer instead and put this as your second plane. The Mountain Models Magpie should be a good trainer.

Good luck!
Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:02 PM
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Seems like your teaching yourself to fly. The usual and best advice is to find someone to get you started. Finding that someone is not always practical so some folks (myself included) teach themselves how to fly. It's not necessarily a walk in the park and it requires lots of patience. Here's some general advice if you taking the self-taught path:

1. Avoid balsa planes (ok later)
2. Get foam planes that are easy to repair, cheap parts etc.
3. Keep working with simulator -FMS will help. The expensive sims provide even more -you may want to look into that.
4. Practice, practice
5. Find pleasure in flying and also in repairing.

Good Luck!
DaGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaGuy
Old Mar 23, 2005, 07:48 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandharvas
Looks like Mountain Models is just west of me (I'm not so alone afterall), maybe I can drive out there and see what I can see.
I also recomend the Magpie. If you do drive out there and talk to Doug, Matthew and Karen I am sure they can give you some pointers. Heck I bet they have one all set up to give you a quick flying lesson.

I have seen videos of the magpie cartwheeling across the ground only to be tossed back in the air. I have cartwheeled mine on a not so good final approach and it came away scratch free.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:31 AM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Wow, thanks everybody for the informative answers and support! I'll check out the Berg Rx as well as the Magpie and Mountain Models, keep practicing on the the FMS simulator (and maybe look to upgrade later), and I'll keep asking questions. This seems like a really good board with lots of experience and helpful suggestions. thanks again!
Old Mar 24, 2005, 08:20 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,895 Posts
Rat, thank you for offering your unbiased opinion. It means a lot to me, and you can help many people that are stepping into your old shoes
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Mar 24, 2005, 09:34 PM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
The Bergs are good receivers but for a little less money I find the Hitec 555 receivers to also be almost bullet proof.

Remember, Positive shift receivers for Airtronics and Jr, Negative shift for Futaba and Hitec.
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:08 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Rat, Can you explain the positive/negative shift comment?
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:52 PM
Melon Farmer
Pueblo, Colorado
Joined Feb 2005
171 Posts
Rat, I have heard about the shifts for the different controllers before, but I too am curious as to what it means.