Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 28, 2002, 03:16 PM
Hairy E-Pilot
Ellensburg, Wa, USA
Joined Dec 2000
551 Posts
Great Planes RV-4 conversion anyone?

Hello Friends

I have heard that Great Planes uses some heavy wood so I would think with some wood replacement and light building you could keep the AUW around 7lb with 16 to 20 cells. As far as power, Im sure there are a number of BL options but Im poor so what about twin Endos on a single gearbox with 20 cells? Anybody have one of these flying on E-power?

Gary
All__talk is offline Find More Posts by All__talk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2002, 07:28 AM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
I've got a Craft Air kit of the same plane. I plan on using a Max Cim set up in it. I should know more about what I will power it with after I return from Toledo. I may consider one of the new high torque BL designs and go DD instead of geared.

Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Mar 29, 2002, 10:57 AM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
RV-4 electric conversion? Funny you should mention that.

I'm working on an electric conversion of the Great Planes RV-4 that will be an Ezone review article. Actually not working at this point- waiting for gearbox needed to finalize motor mount. Looks good so far.

Completed uncovered airframe with canopy, wheels, fairings, etc. weighs 35 oz. With Aveox 1409/2Y, 16 cells it should end up at 6 pounds, which is the upper end of recommended glow weight range. Ecalc says 100 watts/lb @ 40A, 75 mph pitch speed with 12 x 10 prop. Same watts/lb with 13 x 8, 10 oz. more thrust, 59mph pitch speed.

I didn't replace any of the die-cut balsa or plywood parts. I did replace about half of the sheet and strip stock. No structural modifications at all, plastic wingtips were replaced with carved balsa just because it will make the wing covering so much easier.

Some of the parts were pretty heavy wood, but it's a good design that's very strong without being as heavy as a typical glow kit. Some clever building features too.

I'll keep you posted on further progress.

Paul
Paul Willenborg is offline Find More Posts by Paul Willenborg
Old Mar 29, 2002, 12:16 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Oct 2000
102 Posts
Yes

I've built one. Actually, I got 2 of these kits and was going to build one from a friend and one for myself. Well, after building the first one, I got rid of the second one. The wood was awful. Thickness of sheeting were inconsistent, heavy wood, badly warped wood, etc. The kit has a great potential. I built a removable top from back of the firewall to the back of cockpit. Would be a great conversion if the wood wasn't so bad. For all fairness, that was right after the kit release. Maybe the quality has gotten better since then???
Yuchol is offline Find More Posts by Yuchol
Old Mar 30, 2002, 07:24 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Yuchol,

How heavy was yours when completed? How did it fly? It sounds like the wood in mine was better than yours, though some of it was too heavy for any model, and a few pieces were warped. This doesn't bother me too much anymore because I just plan on replacing a lot of the sheet wood in any kit I build- including made-for-electric kits.

I wanted to do the removeable top myself, and even installed two extra formers to support the ends of the hatch. When I started to do the curved sheeting on the top of the fuselage I changed my mind and firmly glued everything together. For the first flights I'll just take off the wing to change batteries. If it flies well I think I can figure out a way to insert the pack through an opening in the lower front fuselage.

I've been searching the net for a good color scheme- the attached photo shows one I really like, but this is the only picture I've been able to find. Anyone recognize it?
Old Mar 30, 2002, 07:48 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Paul,

For color schemes (scale) why not go to Van's web site? Or call and ask for contact info. Bet he would be glad to point you to some of the (proud) owners.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-4int.htm

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Mar 30, 2002, 08:24 PM
Registered Lifeform
Little Rock,AR,USA
Joined Jun 1999
801 Posts
Terry,

Oh, I already spent WAY too much time prowling Van's site, lots of nice info there. I did email them concerning the color scheme on one their demonstrator planes, but never got a reply. That didn't upset me too much, can you imagine the masses of email they must get? I'm going to fire off a RealMail letter this week, which I'm sure will get a response.

The photo on the previous post turned up in a Google image search, but was the only one of that particular plane. I like it best of all that I have seen so far- colorful, but not too complicated. Unfortunately I can't read the registration.

thanks, Paul
Old Apr 01, 2002, 02:53 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Oct 2000
102 Posts
Paul

Paul, it was way too heavy, and wood wasn't good, so I didn't build mine. I just finished building it for a friend of mine. He hasn't flown it yet. If you build it light, should be a fun one. I like that color scheme a lot.
Yuchol is offline Find More Posts by Yuchol